Take Caution With 4G phones.

Beka27

Reaction score
This may be wishful thinking, but I hope they announce 4g prices before they change the NE2 policy

Yeah, I also wish that my dog would turn into a magical purple unicorn that can wash dishes and do laundry... we'll see which happens first. Lol... :)

OP
J

jessel0001

Reaction score
I was told the same thing.

The rep told me that if you upgrade to 4g...you are signing a new contract and all terms apply (including data cap regardless of whether using 3g or 4g.

However, she did assure me that I could get a new 4g capable phone and activate it on my current 3g unlimited plan...and as long as I do not renew my contract...I will keep my unlimited.

Since there is no date for 4g in my area...I am thinking that is what I may do.

Although I am tempted to get a new 2 year contract this week and either the Droid2 or droid 2g so I can have on more early upgrade come Feb of next year...and then once the Atrix comes to Moto (assuming nothing better comes along before then) I might just dish out the $$$ for it without a contract.

I would love it if that were to happen. I just hope this doesn't fall under the "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is." Unfortunatley I can see big red nipping this in the bud. For instance, if you move from a feature phone to a smart phone you are required to pay $29.99 for a smartphone unlimited data plan. Using this same policy would be far too easy. We will just have to see how they work the 4g smartphone data plans. I think I would rather pay full price for my phone and keep unlimited data, especially with faster speeds, and netflix coming to android.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I would rather pay full price for my phone and keep unlimited data, especially with faster speeds, and netflix coming to android.

If you can just pay retail and keep unlimited data I wonder what happens if you did that with an LTE handset. I'm sure they'd know and charge you appropriately, but...

Anyway, seems VZW's ETF is $350, but goes down $10 each month....So after 18 months it would cost me $170 to terminate. Not sure what their rules are regarding reupping, but I may just do that and then sign a 1-yr contract as opposed to trying to work the system some other way.

But trying to game the system though to keep unlimited data might be a poor investment. In about 2.5 years LTE should be almost completely built out and eventually they are going to force you to upgrade (maybe sooner rather than later after LTE is built out in your area). I'd hate to pay retail to keep unlimited data when I might be forced to go LTE in a few months, anyway. Not to mention, if the cap is something like 5gigs unlimited data might not really have any value for you.

$600 is just too much to stomach for a toy, which is what smartphones really are, mostly. For calls, email and music (and browsing, navigation, etc..) there's absolutely nothing wrong with the D1. LTE, dual core and all the stuff it can do is still mostly a toy, an indulgence. I mean, if it comes down to paying retail I'll probably keep my money until the smartphone becomes a viable replacement option for a PC (with a monitor and keyboard, of course), and not talking about some novelty like the Atrix but something that could run stand-alone Office apps (and not just some watered-down mobile version, either).

jbg25

Reaction score
Although I am tempted to get a new 2 year contract this week and either the Droid2 or droid 2g so I can have on more early upgrade come Feb of next year...and then once the Atrix comes to Moto (assuming nothing better comes along before then) I might just dish out the $$$ for it without a contract.

I haven't done all the math to figure out whats best, but I think its probably be cheaper to just sign a 1 year contract each year, which costs $70 more, versus having a second line and paying $120 a year, as well as being locked into 2 contracts for 2 years.

That math is only acurate after Jan 16th until then any new contract gets the NE2 early upgrade at 13 months. Hence why I said I am considering doing it this week...as I would still qualify for a early upgrade at 13 months So I save $100 and only obligate myself to that phone for one extra month

I was told the same thing.

The rep told me that if you upgrade to 4g...you are signing a new contract and all terms apply (including data cap regardless of whether using 3g or 4g.

However, she did assure me that I could get a new 4g capable phone and activate it on my current 3g unlimited plan...and as long as I do not renew my contract...I will keep my unlimited.

I would love it if that were to happen. I just hope this doesn't fall under the "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is." Unfortunatley I can see big red nipping this in the bud. For instance, if you move from a feature phone to a smart phone you are required to pay $29.99 for a smartphone unlimited data plan. Using this same policy would be far too easy. We will just have to see how they work the 4g smartphone data plans. I think I would rather pay full price for my phone and keep unlimited data, especially with faster speeds, and netflix coming to android.

I dont know why you would say that sounds too good to be true? First I will have to drop at least $600...and do you really think VZW has not already built in switch in the radio firmware...that only activates the 4G once you upgrade your contract? It would be a lot easier to do that...then to set up a system that anyone can access with a new phone and *228...and then monitor that waiting for violators then ban them. I mean anyone with a BestBuy CC can go and buy a new phone with no $$$ in hand. That means they would have to root out potentially tens of thousands of people.

Rather it seems to me that is in their best interest. I am sure they are well aware that in most of the areas that they dont offer 4G...both AT&T and TMob have better 3g speeds? That is like asking me to take my business elsewhere. And that just makes no business sense what so ever.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Rather it seems to me that is in their best interest. I am sure they are well aware that in most of the areas that they dont offer 4G...both AT&T and TMob have better 3g speeds? That is like asking me to take my business elsewhere. And that just makes no business sense what so ever.

Ahhhh, a voice of reason. There's a lot flying around these boards about the "evil" money-hungry VZW as if VZW doesn't have to compete with any other carriers.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I wonder how many people have looked at the coverage maps to get an idea of just how well "served" their area is in theory. :)

For example, I have better Sprint coverage at my house than I do AT&T even though I'm the "extended" network for Sprint and "primary" network for AT&T, and both of them are broadcasting from the same contract tower "owned" and operated by Verizon.

givmedew

Reaction score
I have been searching the internet looking for an answer to some questions I have about the line of new phones from big red. Finally I called a rep (I know their reliablity can be sketchy). After she did some diggining in her computer she came back with this: If you buy a 4G phone and don't have 4G service the device will default to 3G. But, after transition to a 4G plan you are subject to the 4G data limitations even if you are one of the folks that don't get 4G coverage until 2014. I was very excited about the Bionic (still am) but now this definitley make you step back and think. If you get this phone your data is capped and more pricey whether you have the speed or not.

I think the person who wrote this read into the reps statement a bit too much. As far as a I know Verizon HAS NOT announced that will only have limited plans and that an unlimited plan will not be available with 4g.

As of right now unless someone can post a press release stating otherwise when 4g goes live on a handset it will in fact be 29.99 for unlimited data. Now I do think Verizon did officially say that in the future they may go with limited plans if they feel like because well they can where as ATT had too because not having the bandwidth.

That being said it would be VERY VERY wise for Verizon to set a very high cap for example 3-5GB of data once 4g hits so that anyone who hacks there phone for tethering, downloads a p2p app, or just uses it to stream video 24/7 doesn't rape Verizon.

I would guess that 90% or better of Verizon users use less than 3gb of data per month probably far less than 2gb I do believe ATT officially announced what percent of iPhone users use less than a certain amount of data so that they could ease the minds of their customers that where going onto the 2GB plans.

All in all though I wouldn't worry. One thing you can be certain is that as always Verizon will offer a competitive and fair solution. I know many unreasonable people don't believe that is VZW is usually fair but when you compare VZW prices and amazing service to ATTs almost the same pricing for horrible service well it speaks for itself.

Personally if there is a cap as long as it is 3gb or higher I will take the cap and 4g since even with heavy tethering, torrent use, slingbox, tunee, pandora, slacker, and last.fm use I have rarely if ever gone over 3gb.

I know that with 4g being up to 10x faster 3gb would be easier to hit but think about it I would rather get to 3gb really quickly than never even get to 2gb very slowly at the same price!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As of right now unless someone can post a press release stating otherwise when 4g goes live on a handset it will in fact be 29.99 for unlimited data. Now I do think Verizon did officially say that in the future they may go with limited plans if they feel like because well they can where as ATT had too because not having the bandwidth.

That being said it would be VERY VERY wise for Verizon to set a very high cap for example 3-5GB of data once 4g hits

A 5 gig cap seems reasonable at $29.99. But the #1 reason there will not be a premium or "lousy" LTE plan is simple: VZW is pushing the other mfrs to make LTE handsets. VZW cannot then turn around and effectively hand Apple the 3G market by charging a premium for LTE. They absolutely will not pull a Sprint where they charge a $10 premium even if you don't have LTE. It's backward compatible so they can make an LTE handset and sell it in every market, but no one in a 3G market would buy it if they have to pay $10 extra for something they don't use.

JKingDev

Reaction score

That being said it would be VERY VERY wise for Verizon to set a very high cap for example 3-5GB of data once 4g hits

A 5 gig cap seems reasonable at $29.99. But the #1 reason there will not be a premium or "lousy" LTE plan is simple: VZW is pushing the other mfrs to make LTE handsets. VZW cannot then turn around and effectively hand Apple the 3G market by charging a premium for LTE. They absolutely will not pull a Sprint where they charge a $10 premium even if you don't have LTE. It's backward compatible so they can make an LTE handset and sell it in every market, but no one in a 3G market would buy it if they have to pay $10 extra for something they don't use.
I dont quite understand your argument. Sprint did exactly what you are saying verizon wouldnt. People who bought the evo 4g still pay $10 even if they dont have wimax. Take your last sentence and replace LTE with wimax and sprint did exactly what you are saying verizon wouldnt. I agree it is stupid, but what exactly makes you think verizon wont do the same. Not that I think they will. I have no idea. Just wondering what makes you think they wont.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I can think of a good reason -- the iPhone. While a lot of people are going to jump on the iPhone as soon as they can, penalizing people for NOT taking the iPhone won't sit well and may be viewed, legally, as anti-competitive practices.

That won't sit well with users but it WILL sit well with the lawyers who will file the lawsuits.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I dont quite understand your argument. Sprint did exactly what you are saying verizon wouldnt. People who bought the evo 4g still pay $10 even if they dont have wimax. Take your last sentence and replace LTE with wimax and sprint did exactly what you are saying verizon wouldnt. I agree it is stupid, but what exactly makes you think verizon wont do the same. Not that I think they will. I have no idea. Just wondering what makes you think they wont.

It is a completely different dynamic. Sprint did not have anywhere near the depth of 3G Android devices, and they didn't have the IPhone. Further, the Evo enjoyed almost 3 months of 4G exclusivity and even 7 months later they have just the Samsung Epic with the Evo Shift (also by HTC) just now debuting. VZW has 4 LTE handsets coming out late Q1/early Q2 and presumably more in the pipeline.

Also, even with the $10 premium Sprint is still cheaper than VZW despite being the pretty much the only 4G game in town until recently. It's not going to happen on VZW. For starters, you already have 4G on Sprint to compete with and AT&T coming this summer. You simply don't push the mfrs to develop LTE phones and then turn around and price those phones out of 3G markets. And if that were the case, no way HTC scraps the IncHD for the Thunderbolt - you have it supposedly ready to go in Nov but you delay it (quite possibly at the request of VZW) for 3-4 months only to get screwed by VZW?

You can take it a step further. If VZW says "I'll take 1mm LTE Bionics or 2mm 3G Bionics" what would happen? It's simply going to be implicit in that order that the phone is competitive in both markets. VZW is going to be on the hook here and if they price those LTE handsets out of 3G markets they are taking a big risk of eating thousands upon thousands of handsets, and that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can think of a good reason -- the iPhone. While a lot of people are going to jump on the iPhone as soon as they can, penalizing people for NOT taking the iPhone won't sit well

Even if there aren't legal ramifications (and I would guess most of these mfrs have agreements with "favored nation" status to ensure equitable treatment on discounts and promotions) it would simply be bad business to tee-off your Android mfrs. If they cut VZW off from the top Android phones a lot of subscribers will eventually take their business to AT&T and Sprint.

And another point, Sprint was about $10 cheaper on data at that point, I think. In order to properly subsidize the Evo they had almost no choice but to bump their data plan to recover that subsidy.

Last edited: