Take Caution With 4G phones.

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by jessel0001, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jessel0001

jessel0001 New Member

I have been searching the internet looking for an answer to some questions I have about the line of new phones from big red. Finally I called a rep (I know their reliablity can be sketchy). After she did some diggining in her computer she came back with this: If you buy a 4G phone and don't have 4G service the device will default to 3G. But, after transition to a 4G plan you are subject to the 4G data limitations even if you are one of the folks that don't get 4G coverage until 2014. I was very excited about the Bionic (still am) but now this definitley make you step back and think. If you get this phone your data is capped and more pricey whether you have the speed or not.
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    So, in essence, if you have a 4G phone you do not get unlimited 3G data to go with it? Any data, 3G or 4G counts against your plan's cap?
  3. Droid101

Droid101 Member

That sounds like what that person is trying to say.

I will say however I watched the Verizon CES press conference and when a question came up about 4G pricing they said they wont announce that here but the Coo/CEO stated that they felt that their current data pricing is sufficient and that they would always review their options. So I guess you can take it for what its worth but it sounds like you may actually get unlimited 3G/4G for the time being and possibly once verizon gets their 4G network more widely available they will change the pricing (Do take note I am only speculating based on what he stated so just note it isn't fact)
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Nope, Verizon's going to have to remain competitive. If T-Mobil didn't raise their rates I sternly doubt Verizon will.
  5. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

But t-mobile didn't go 4g either, just HSPA+ so a bump in 3g. I would watch what ATT does with their LTE 4g pricing.

Sent from somewhere...
  6. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Reguardless of pricing, or data caps, one thing is certain:

You need to know that 4G will not be nationwide for years, unless they find a faster way to piggyback it on top of existing 3G towers.

It is a urban thing, and if you are going to go to a 4G phone, you would certainly be advised to know if you are IN a 4G area.

Enough said there, so even if I decide I want the bionic as my next phone (for example) I'm going to be checking that the service is where I am before I spend the $$$ on it.

VZ will gladly sell us all 4G phones on 4G plans and not give a rat's butt whether or not we are actually located in the 4G service area.

This is a point worth remembering as we enter the 4G era...

I believe in FBM's read on it, you would not get unlimited 3G as you would be ON a 4G plan, however that said, one has to look at that 4G plan's details on data before we could come to any conclusions in that reguard.

7. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Welt most of us here know that it is just a bump in 3G but t mobile is pushing it as 4G and most people wont look and see what kind of network it is they'll just see the 4G and look at whos cheaper and better.:)
  8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

And if the cap is 5gigs it's much ado about nothing for 98% of users.

And unless 3G-only counterparts to the latest devices are coming out, I'd guess LTE base pricing remains the same as 3G (except for the cap). Otherwise there's no reason for the mfrs to engage in an arms race for only 1/4th the market.
  9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    I can think of one.

OOHH!! SHINY!!

Make that two.

4G HAS TO BE BETTER THAN 3G!!!!!!
  10. Jeyman

Jeyman Member

If I can use 4~7GB on my 3g phone, I dont even want to think about how the hell I am going to do with a 4g phone and netflix coming.(this is with very little tethering too mind you.)

Ill stick with a 3g phone as long as I can if it turns out that 4g caps at 5GB. I think on a 4g phone I myself will need at least 10GB...

Yes I am a hog, I steam music like 24/7, use slingplayer a ton and serf the web a lot as well(though my slingplayer has been acting up QQ; going to have to tether this weekend for the games at work I guess lol
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  11. kodiak799

good points....I'll be working netflix and slingplayer is something I'll purchase soon....Yeah, that will increase usage quickly.
  12. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    I do not know why this surprises some of you guys.. This is not a surprise at all to me. I had an idea that the might go the Sprint route with a Verizon twist to it.
  13. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

I was told the same thing.

The rep told me that if you upgrade to 4g...you are signing a new contract and all terms apply (including data cap regardless of whether using 3g or 4g.

However, she did assure me that I could get a new 4g capable phone and activate it on my current 3g unlimited plan...and as long as I do not renew my contract...I will keep my unlimited.

Since there is no date for 4g in my area...I am thinking that is what I may do.

Although I am tempted to get a new 2 year contract this week and either the Droid2 or droid 2g so I can have on more early upgrade come Feb of next year...and then once the Atrix comes to Moto (assuming nothing better comes along before then) I might just dish out the $$$ for it without a contract.
  14. Detonation

Detonation New Member

I haven't done all the math to figure out whats best, but I think its probably be cheaper to just sign a 1 year contract each year, which costs $70 more, versus having a second line and paying $120 a year, as well as being locked into 2 contracts for 2 years.
  15. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

That certainly seems like the logical path Detonation. I really, really wish I had thought to sign a one year in October. I think people balk at having to pay extra up-front, but when it comes down to it, it really is the most cost-effective method to get an "early" upgrade.
  16. DroidCoug

DroidCoug New Member

This may be wishful thinking, but I hope they announce 4g prices before they change the NE2 policy
  17. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Yeah, I also wish that my dog would turn into a magical purple unicorn that can wash dishes and do laundry... we'll see which happens first. Lol... :)
  18. jessel0001

jessel0001 New Member

I would love it if that were to happen. I just hope this doesn't fall under the "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is." Unfortunatley I can see big red nipping this in the bud. For instance, if you move from a feature phone to a smart phone you are required to pay $29.99 for a smartphone unlimited data plan. Using this same policy would be far too easy. We will just have to see how they work the 4g smartphone data plans. I think I would rather pay full price for my phone and keep unlimited data, especially with faster speeds, and netflix coming to android.
  19. kodiak799

If you can just pay retail and keep unlimited data I wonder what happens if you did that with an LTE handset. I'm sure they'd know and charge you appropriately, but...

Anyway, seems VZW's ETF is $350, but goes down $10 each month....So after 18 months it would cost me $170 to terminate. Not sure what their rules are regarding reupping, but I may just do that and then sign a 1-yr contract as opposed to trying to work the system some other way.

But trying to game the system though to keep unlimited data might be a poor investment. In about 2.5 years LTE should be almost completely built out and eventually they are going to force you to upgrade (maybe sooner rather than later after LTE is built out in your area). I'd hate to pay retail to keep unlimited data when I might be forced to go LTE in a few months, anyway. Not to mention, if the cap is something like 5gigs unlimited data might not really have any value for you.

$600 is just too much to stomach for a toy, which is what smartphones really are, mostly. For calls, email and music (and browsing, navigation, etc..) there's absolutely nothing wrong with the D1. LTE, dual core and all the stuff it can do is still mostly a toy, an indulgence. I mean, if it comes down to paying retail I'll probably keep my money until the smartphone becomes a viable replacement option for a PC (with a monitor and keyboard, of course), and not talking about some novelty like the Atrix but something that could run stand-alone Office apps (and not just some watered-down mobile version, either).
  20. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

That math is only acurate after Jan 16th until then any new contract gets the NE2 early upgrade at 13 months. Hence why I said I am considering doing it this week...as I would still qualify for a early upgrade at 13 months So I save $100 and only obligate myself to that phone for one extra month

I dont know why you would say that sounds too good to be true? First I will have to drop at least $600...and do you really think VZW has not already built in switch in the radio firmware...that only activates the 4G once you upgrade your contract? It would be a lot easier to do that...then to set up a system that anyone can access with a new phone and *228...and then monitor that waiting for violators then ban them. I mean anyone with a BestBuy CC can go and buy a new phone with no $$$ in hand. That means they would have to root out potentially tens of thousands of people.

Rather it seems to me that is in their best interest. I am sure they are well aware that in most of the areas that they dont offer 4G...both AT&T and TMob have better 3g speeds? That is like asking me to take my business elsewhere. And that just makes no business sense what so ever.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011