TAG Heuer’s first Android Wear device is the Carrera Wearable 01

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
KD11057-840x559.jpg

TAG Heuer just revealed some new info on their upcoming Android Wear device. First, the device will be named the Carrera Wearable 01. TAG Heuer CEO Jean-Claude Biver also shared that the device is going to be based on their regular Carrera Heuer 01 luxury watch design. Here's a quote from Biver,

There is no other choice for Tag Heuer than to have all its DNA, all its watchmaking emotion and flair into the connected watch. Somehow, one should not see from a certain distance the difference between a Carrera Heuer 01 and a Carrera Wearable 01.

According to previous intel on the device, the Carrera Wearable 01 will become available later this year for approximately $1,400 USD, and could have a 40-hour battery life.

Source: AndroidAuthority

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1400 for a watch..... Let me block this image from my web browser for fear Tag Heuer will send me a bill for viewing it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Great looking watch, but for $1400 I don't dare attempt to use that as a fitness device (which is mainly the only reason I can see for a smartwatch).

The buttons/dials on the side are interesting, too. I think in at least some cases that would be a better way to interface.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Daddy want.................

If I can't use it as a fitness device, why on earth would I really want a smartwatch?

And I'd have to see it - I think at best you can only fool people with a 3D replication at a glance. For $1400, I think I'd just get the regular TAG watch. It's kind of like paying $3M for a photo reproduction of an original Picasso you could have bought for $3M.

Also, I wonder if there won't be "bootlegs" of that digital image to replicate the look on similar high-end displays. Shoot, the Chinese will be knocking that off left and right for $50.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I don't think its meant to fool people. Its a Tag that happens to be the smart watch in their line up. $1400 is kind of what to expect. Their "cheapest" traditional watch is probably $1500 and is the rock bottom of the line. The price quickly shoots through $5000 and way beyond after that. You're basically paying for a Tag case and band with smartwatch guts.

With this announcement it seems like a replaceable puck system is coming for smart watches. You buy a nice chassis and band, and then, every product cycle you buy new interior hardware. There will probably be offerings at all price ranges. The real question. ...What will people pay? I like the idea but I want assurances that later pucks will fit and that quality manufacturers will make them. This would declare that screen quality, features, battery, and processors will be the battleground for puck makers.

Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself but this could be a cool thing.

By the way... I called this happening last year. Its about time I got a far fetched prediction right.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
By the way... I called this happening last year. Its about time I got a far fetched prediction right.

Really interesting point about replaceable pucks. Then it might even make sense to have the nice band/casing for style, but swap it out for a cheaper band for the gym. Of course, since I'm not sure how much power you really need, the pucks should be pretty affordable, less than $200.

I was also thinking this may just be the future of all watches. I remember one cell phone had some sort of dual screens to create a 3D effect. It flopped, but it might work for a watch like this. But I stand by if you look at the watch closely enough, you'll see there's no actual depth and is just mimicking a 3D effect.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It's a Tag and will carry the same quality of their traditional watches. Don't let $1400 scare you if you want quality. Or you can but an Apple watch for 5 or 10 times the price.
If you want a winner, keep an eye out for the Huawei Watch at about $450.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's a Tag and will carry the same quality of their traditional watches. Don't let $1400 scare you if you want quality. Or you can but an Apple watch for 5 or 10 times the price.
If you want a winner, keep an eye out for the Huawei Watch at about $450.

I think if I'm spending that kind of dough I'd just get a regular Tag...I'd still need a fitness watch since I wouldn't take a $1400 one near the gym.

Huawei looks interesting, bu the Asus Zenwatch 2 might be better - HRM and gps (which is surprisingly hard to find among smartwatches currently), I think. They seem to be going after the fitness market pretty hard, a least more than the others.

I really just want something to track my sets at the gym (smartphone is a pain). Don't think I can wait 6 months, though. I could probably do without the HRM...maybe the Sony Smartwatch 3.