Tablet help

aquaholic

Reaction score
Probably not the right forum but i need some help picking out a tablet. Some background on me, ive never owned or used a tablet before. I currently have a droid razr and google tv. And i owned the original imac and swore i would never own another apple product after getting stuck with aol 4.0 while pc owners had 9.0. Yesterday i helped a friend setup 20 of the new imacs. And i kinda liked them, however the price is still way to high in my mind for them. Anyway it got me thinking would it be better for me to pick up an original ipad or ipad 2 instead of the google nexus7? Or would i benefit from an android tablet since i already have google tv and an android phone. Im just going to be using it to browse the internet,watch netflix/videos. nothing for business at all. what do you all suggest i do? I realize this is an android forum so there will be some biased opinions but most apple owners are hipsters and cant back up their choice with factual statements so this is probably the best place to get the facts. Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sorry its taken so long to get to you.. I didn't see your post.. here's my opinion..

I use an ipad3 with logic pro for music recording..as in creating music, track by track.. android just isn't there yet on that..

But other than that.. ipads don't offer anything over android.. if I were you, i'd look into a new nexus 7 tab..

I prefer android because of its ability to be personalized.. awesome to me.

Ultimately this call is yours and yours alone :)

Our opinion is not relevant, and can ultimately only hinder your decision.. :)

IMHO android is the way to go... but that's me :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have a toshiba thrive tablet. I can not compare it to an Ipad or even an iPhone because I never had either one... but I can compare it to my Razr Maxx, my windows 7 laptop and my Vista pc.

The Thrive is a beast and can do most everything that all three of my other computer devices do but often much more conveniently (because of the size... bigger than my phone but small enough to go anywhere). I rarely ever touch my laptop or desktop pc anymore.

When not where I can access wifi, I just connect to the internet on my thrive by running off the foxfi from my phone and it works flawlessly.

I can access all the files on my laptop or my pc using teamviewer. The Thrive also has a full usb port so it takes my flash drive easily. And for about $8, I bought a full 10" usb keyboard so typing emails and editing documents is as easy as my laptop or pc, although sometimes the on screen swipe keyboard is just as easy.

I don't even need to worry about having my razr within reach when using my Thrive because I can get and respond to all my texts over bluetooth or wifi using tablet talk for texts and GrooVe IP (Google Voice) for phone calls.

And I have yet to find an android app that works on my phone that doesn't also work on my thrive.

The only thing that my Thrive can not do yet is connect to my phone... which is probably the only reason I ever use my laptop or pc (when I want to save my phone's internal card to pc).

Oh, and the battery lasts for days.

Not sure if the iPad has all those capabilities but I love my Thrive... and love my Razr Maxx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
A

aquaholic

Reaction score
I have a toshiba thrive tablet. I can not compare it to an Ipad or even an iPhone because I never had either one... but I can compare it to my Razr Maxx, my windows 7 laptop and my Vista pc.

The Thrive is a beast and can do most everything that all three of my other computer devices do but often much more conveniently (because of the size... bigger than my phone but small enough to go anywhere). I rarely ever touch my laptop or desktop pc anymore.

When not where I can access wifi, I just connect to the internet on my thrive by running off the foxfi from my phone and it works flawlessly.

I can access all the files on my laptop or my pc using teamviewer. The Thrive also has a full usb port so it takes my flash drive easily. And for about $8, I bought a full 10" usb keyboard so typing emails and editing documents is as easy as my laptop or pc, although sometimes the on screen swipe keyboard is just as easy.

I don't even need to worry about having my razr within reach when using my Thrive because I can get and respond to all my texts over bluetooth or wifi using tablet talk for texts and GrooVe IP (Google Voice) for phone calls.

And I have yet to find an android app that works on my phone that doesn't also work on my thrive.

The only thing that my Thrive can not do yet is connect to my phone... which is probably the only reason I ever use my laptop or pc (when I want to save my phone's internal card to pc).

Oh, and the battery lasts for days.

Not sure if the iPad has all those capabilities but I love my Thrive... and love my Razr Maxx.

wow i didnt even realize you could get texts through the tablet, thats makes me really want one now as i get a lot of texts and always have to stay close to my phone while its charging.

thank you both for your thoughts

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've got the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I'm loving it thus far. I was going to get the Tab 2 10.1 from Costco, but for the same price, I was able to find an LTE capable first gen (32gb) including case, bluetooth keyboard, and 3 chargers on Craigslist. I could not pass it up! It's been about a month now, and I'm using it just about every day. I'm only using wifi, so the battery is lasting me about 3 days (maybe 2 hours of on-screen time?)

Snoking

Reaction score
I just bought an Acer Iconia A200 10.1 Tablet. Loving it. Can BT to Rezound for internet away from WiFi. It has both micro and standard USB ports.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh, you will not be disappointed. The Acer and the Thrive were the only ones I was interested in and I went with the one that went on sale first. Have fun!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What I keep waiting for is the asus pad phone... I want that bad!!!

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

rherron

Reaction score
+1 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (if you can still buy one).

RoboCop1268

Reaction score
If you have a 4" or 4.3" phone or especially just not a smartphone in general I'd go for the Nexus7 immediately and without hesitation. The Nexus7 is the perfect personal tablet. It's smooth, fast, has great build quality, and is very easy to use.

If you have a bigger phone or want to stream things to your tv/have more options with storage...go with the Transformer Infinity. It's got an amazing screen, is a powerhouse in performance, is bigger than the Nexus7, has a lot more storage, and down the road you can get the keyboard dock.

Nexus7=$249 for the 16GB (since there are no ports for expandable memory this is the only one i would get)
Infinity=$499 for the 32GB (Since you can put another 32GB in it via MicroSD Card, Asus gives you 8GB of Cloud Storage, Amazon gives you cloud storage, and Chrome to Phone lets you pull items from your PC via Google Accounts, you don't need the more expensive version.)

Getting my Infinity later today that I ordered from Amazon. My dad is getting the same one. My Mom has been using her Nexus7 for about a week now and loves it (she once asked me how to tell if someone called her, how to text, how to use email, and how to get to her voicemail..proof that the Nexus7 is remarkably easy for a first-time Android user)