Tablet and S Pen

Discussion in 'Samsung Tablet Discussions' started by Miller6386, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,740
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    Have I missed the statement on why Samsung isn't releasing a tablet in an 8" size with S pen support?

I really want a new tablet but really want it with S pen functionality but none have that. I don't want to go backwards to a note 8 I'd like something newer with better specs.

Note 4tified

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    well, you could step up to the Asus Zenpad 8 with Z-stylus. It might be the best tablet out right now (the high-powered CA version with 4GB ram).

Don't believe the stylus is available yet, but it's coming.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,740
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I'll have to look into it and see what features it offers. I really like and utilize the features of the S Pen.

Note 4tified

4. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    pffttt....only 2GB of ram (and I can't believe any respectable tablet, at this point, would have less than 3).

It's gotten very tiresome whether it be phones, tablets or even smartwatches that despite the fact there are only a handful of features/hardwares to change, all the products are pretty much the same. There's like 20 possible configurations, but somehow 80 different models only cover like 3 configurations.

For years I've been buying high-end/fully-loaded computers hoping to have them for 5+ years before becoming obsolete...and paying the premium. But no matter how much you're willing to pay, you really can't do that in mobile. There's always a deal breaker, whether the screen is too big or too small, not enough ram, no SD slot, etc...

/end rant

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    The Z Stylus looks like it can do at least as much as the S-pen. But you have to figure it won't be as polished on Asus' first go, even it has most of the same features.

The other problem is there are no reviews on the Z Stylus since it's not available yet. I care more about the tablet specs, but the Stylus is definitely an interesting bonus (don't even know if I'll use it).

Also, if you care about this sort of thing, head over to XDA and you can see raving reviews and that the Zenpad S has already been rooted (although, be careful, there are about half a dozen configurations of the base model).

7. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,740
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I think I'll have to check it out.

Note 4tified

8. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    I had the first and second version of their 10.1" and they both had 2GB onboard. It was more than enough to push whatever you wanted to do with the tablet.

My 12.2" has 3GB onboard and flies as well.

You would think though that a mass producer of ram and ssd/hhd like Samsung would drop in more just because they can afford it better than anyone else.

9. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Maybe what you want to do with a tablet. If I mirror what I do on my phone, at a minimum, 2GB is barely sufficient and not remotely "future proof". I run a bunch of widgets and have several apps downloading news feeds for offline reading.

It's dumb. There's only two reasons for the "rationing" of specs:
    1) anchored to arbitrary price points and margins - I'd gladly pay $20 more for an extra $10 worth of ram
    2) planned obsolescence - I guarantee almost every phone and tablet being produced is weighing the trade-off of current vs. future sales with regard to hardware

10. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    You are on Android. Future proof is out of the game. Google themselves won't officially sanction the upkeep of a device past 18 months.

I mirror my phones and tablets to my television and have no issues what so ever.

11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Just because you don't get the latest and greatest OS doesn't mean a device is obsolete. I have a laptop nearly 6 years old that still runs fantastic. Android is at point where device obsolescence has pretty much everything to do with the hardware itself and not OS updates or ongoing support.

And it's not much of a debate, because it's already been observed that tablet and phone sales are slowing - people are keeping their devices longer and you can BET manufacturers have taken notice and trying to figure out how to keep milking the cash cow.

12. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,740
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I like the thought of the Tab A but it's just a little to large. I have a 10" Asus and it's great for some things but day to day functionality not so much due to the size.

Note 4tified

• Agree Agree x 1
Search tags for this page

s pen or z stylus