Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Have I missed the statement on why Samsung isn't releasing a tablet in an 8" size with S pen support?

I really want a new tablet but really want it with S pen functionality but none have that. I don't want to go backwards to a note 8 I'd like something newer with better specs.

Note 4tified

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
well, you could step up to the Asus Zenpad 8 with Z-stylus. It might be the best tablet out right now (the high-powered CA version with 4GB ram).

Don't believe the stylus is available yet, but it's coming.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
well, you could step up to the Asus Zenpad 8 with Z-stylus. It might be the best tablet out right now (the high-powered CA version with 4GB ram).

Don't believe the stylus is available yet, but it's coming.
I'll have to look into it and see what features it offers. I really like and utilize the features of the S Pen.

Note 4tified

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You could step up to the 9.7" and get one with a stylus:

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7" 16GB (Wi-Fi) with S Pen, Smoky Titanium

pffttt....only 2GB of ram (and I can't believe any respectable tablet, at this point, would have less than 3).

It's gotten very tiresome whether it be phones, tablets or even smartwatches that despite the fact there are only a handful of features/hardwares to change, all the products are pretty much the same. There's like 20 possible configurations, but somehow 80 different models only cover like 3 configurations.

For years I've been buying high-end/fully-loaded computers hoping to have them for 5+ years before becoming obsolete...and paying the premium. But no matter how much you're willing to pay, you really can't do that in mobile. There's always a deal breaker, whether the screen is too big or too small, not enough ram, no SD slot, etc...

/end rant

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look into it and see what features it offers. I really like and utilize the features of the S Pen.

The Z Stylus looks like it can do at least as much as the S-pen. But you have to figure it won't be as polished on Asus' first go, even it has most of the same features.

The other problem is there are no reviews on the Z Stylus since it's not available yet. I care more about the tablet specs, but the Stylus is definitely an interesting bonus (don't even know if I'll use it).

Also, if you care about this sort of thing, head over to XDA and you can see raving reviews and that the Zenpad S has already been rooted (although, be careful, there are about half a dozen configurations of the base model).

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
pffttt....only 2GB of ram (and I can't believe any respectable tablet, at this point, would have less than 3).

It's gotten very tiresome whether it be phones, tablets or even smartwatches that despite the fact there are only a handful of features/hardwares to change, all the products are pretty much the same. There's like 20 possible configurations, but somehow 80 different models only cover like 3 configurations.

For years I've been buying high-end/fully-loaded computers hoping to have them for 5+ years before becoming obsolete...and paying the premium. But no matter how much you're willing to pay, you really can't do that in mobile. There's always a deal breaker, whether the screen is too big or too small, not enough ram, no SD slot, etc...

/end rant

I had the first and second version of their 10.1" and they both had 2GB onboard. It was more than enough to push whatever you wanted to do with the tablet.

My 12.2" has 3GB onboard and flies as well.

You would think though that a mass producer of ram and ssd/hhd like Samsung would drop in more just because they can afford it better than anyone else.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I had the first and second version of their 10.1" and they both had 2GB onboard. It was more than enough to push whatever you wanted to do with the tablet.

Maybe what you want to do with a tablet. If I mirror what I do on my phone, at a minimum, 2GB is barely sufficient and not remotely "future proof". I run a bunch of widgets and have several apps downloading news feeds for offline reading.

It's dumb. There's only two reasons for the "rationing" of specs:
1) anchored to arbitrary price points and margins - I'd gladly pay $20 more for an extra $10 worth of ram
2) planned obsolescence - I guarantee almost every phone and tablet being produced is weighing the trade-off of current vs. future sales with regard to hardware

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You are on Android. Future proof is out of the game. Google themselves won't officially sanction the upkeep of a device past 18 months.

I mirror my phones and tablets to my television and have no issues what so ever.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You are on Android. Future proof is out of the game. Google themselves won't officially sanction the upkeep of a device past 18 months..

Just because you don't get the latest and greatest OS doesn't mean a device is obsolete. I have a laptop nearly 6 years old that still runs fantastic. Android is at point where device obsolescence has pretty much everything to do with the hardware itself and not OS updates or ongoing support.

And it's not much of a debate, because it's already been observed that tablet and phone sales are slowing - people are keeping their devices longer and you can BET manufacturers have taken notice and trying to figure out how to keep milking the cash cow.

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I like the thought of the Tab A but it's just a little to large. I have a 10" Asus and it's great for some things but day to day functionality not so much due to the size.

Note 4tified

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Just because you don't get the latest and greatest OS doesn't mean a device is obsolete. I have a laptop nearly 6 years old that still runs fantastic. Android is at point where device obsolescence has pretty much everything to do with the hardware itself and not OS updates or ongoing support.

And it's not much of a debate, because it's already been observed that tablet and phone sales are slowing - people are keeping their devices longer and you can BET manufacturers have taken notice and trying to figure out how to keep milking the cash cow.

Android obsolescence has nothing to do with hardware. Hardware is at a point that you should be able to keep a device on the latest OS for many years to come. The obsolescence for 99% of Android is introduced by OEMs and Carriers refusing to put money into updating those phones and tablets. Google's Nexus line should be able to stand the best chance against it, but even they refuse to continue to support them.

There is nothing wrong with having a device that is older. I have several and they do their jobs just fine.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with having a device that is older. I have several and they do their jobs just fine.

Yes, but as APPS offer more features and become more demanding, middling hardware becomes obsolete. For what I use, 2GB would have me needing to upgrade before long (if not already). That issue has EVERYTHING to do with the hardware and very little to do with Android or OEM upgrades.

When I say "future proof", I mean the phone/tablet doing what I need for several years...and that's all about the hardware capability as increased demands are not coming from the OS. And that's a big part of why the perfect phone/tablet isn't out there, because the manufacturers don't want you using that device for 3-4 years before upgrading. It's why they'll pocket the $10 on another gig of ram rather than charge you an extra $15 to include it. It's why they don't give you and SD card and then charge you 5X that amount for extra internal storage.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, but as APPS offer more features and become more demanding, middling hardware becomes obsolete. For what I use, 2GB would have me needing to upgrade before long (if not already). That issue has EVERYTHING to do with the hardware and very little to do with Android or OEM upgrades.

When I say "future proof", I mean the phone/tablet doing what I need for several years...and that's all about the hardware capability as increased demands are not coming from the OS. And that's a big part of why the perfect phone/tablet isn't out there, because the manufacturers don't want you using that device for 3-4 years before upgrading. It's why they'll pocket the $10 on another gig of ram rather than charge you an extra $15 to include it. It's why they don't give you and SD card and then charge you 5X that amount for extra internal storage.

I just don't see it that way. It's software in my eyes. Most devices run into issues when it says "Your device must have Android X.Xx on it to download". That is a software restriction. Not because the hardware couldn't run the app.

Take my iPad for instance. That thing keeps ticking on smoothly and it is 3-4 years old and it has the latest software. Now look at my Galaxy Note 1 or my HTC One X. They run fine too, but they will never see Android 5. Simply due to OEMs abandoning them. I could ROM them up to Lollipop and they would run fine because the hardware is capable of doing so.

With Jellybean, Kitkat, and Lollipop especially Google was quick to announce that they were designed to work just fine on older hardware. There is no excuse for any device a few years old not to be running 5.0.