1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Tablet: 4G or Wifi Only?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by MissionImprobable, Dec 19, 2011.

1. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

Thinking about getting the moms a tablet for Christmas. Loving the reviews of the Asus Transformer but my original plan was getting her a 4G device so that she can use it even when wifi isn't available. Just wanted thoughts and opinions from those who have had experiences on either end and any recommendations. All informed suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

This totally depends on the user. If the user is around wifi a lot, then perhaps a 4G tablet probably won't be necessary or even wanted.

For example, I am around wifi a lot when I use my tablet. I use it here, at work, and at friend's or family's house from time to time. All of them I have access to wifi, so data on a tablet would be semi-useless to me.

But as mentioned, it totally depends on the user. An internet buddy of mine has a tablet with data plan as he lives in a city, and uses public transportation to and from work. So he has a 30 - 40 minute ride to and from work every day. Having a data connection allows him to enjoy the internet on his tablet while on the train.
  3. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer Super Moderator Premium Member

I have the xoom. Before the 4G upgrade a few months back I didn't have a data plan. Once it was upgraded I got a plan and it feels like a new machine. At home I use wifi but when I'm out and about 4G comes iin very handy. Free wifi is open and unsecure. The data plans are pricey but well worth it IMO. 1gb is $20, 2gb is $30 and 5gb is $50.
  4. bigkhan

bigkhan New Member

Root your phone and get the wifi only. If theres no other wifi signal around, then tether to your phone. I bought the wifi xoom in release day, and have been doing it since day 1.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  5. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer Super Moderator Premium Member

Its for the OP's mother. Rooting and tethering is more of a hassle than a data plan.
  6. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    That's for sure... Nothing is free, it just so happens we just don't have to pay VZW for data, we pay with our blood, sweat and tears! ;)

This wants to be sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Search tags for this page

4g or just wifi tablet

4g or wifi tablet

how to use your phones 4g to link to a wifi only tablet

is 4g in a tablet worth it?

is 4g worth it on a tablet

tablet 4g vs wifi

tablet 4g wifi
tablet wifi only vs 4g

tablet wifi or 4g

tablet wifi vs 4g