T-Mobile's Latest Galaxy S4 OTA Update Brings Rooting Restriction Feature.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A developer well known here on DroidForums "Mattlgroff" noticed yesterday that the latest OTA update for the T-Mobile variant of the Galaxy S4 includes a new Rooting Restriction Feature. LG has also began to put root restrictions in their devices as well. I am really hoping this is not the direction that carriers are going to go as a whole. In the end these root restricters are really just extra speed bumps for developers. Where there is a will there is a way.

Matt posted his findings over at XDA. Here is what he found.

# Samsung Rooting Restriction Feature
#
CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_ROOTING=y
CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_SETUID=y
CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_FORK=y
CONFIG_SEC_RESTRICT_ROOTING_LOG=y

Matt also posted his Root method that accounts for this new root restriction feature. This method is less preferable as it will cause wifi to not work, and will cause some force closes. Matt is working on a fix for this now, but suggest you only use this if you don't want to just flash the original firmware.

Matt's Root Method

Stock Frimware

jspradling7

Reaction score
The root restrictions are confusing to my little grey cells. On one hand they say the restrictions are to stop folks from returning rooted and damaged phones that are costing them millions. BUT, they say they're not worried about offending the 'rooters' because there are so few of them in the big picture... I guess reducing loss is the on going goal of all companies so I can't blame them for trying to cut down on user damaged devices, but honestly, how many people are returning bricked devices?

ruvy01

Reaction score
minus one for the Galaxy S4, plus one for the HTC one. i think im about to support the underdog this time around, although i love samsung :/ argh someone make the choice for me, just sold my note 2 and my droid 2 backup sucks on android 2.3.4 :(

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would expect Verizon to do the same thing.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy S4.

Reaction score
I don't why these companies won't allow rooting. The roots firmware builds never usually have issues. But when it comes to a ota through carriers the ota has many issues

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I don't why these companies won't allow rooting. The roots firmware builds never usually have issues. But when it comes to a ota through carriers the ota has many issues

It's all about control, and restriction of freedom.

Reaction score
It's all about control, and restriction of freedom.

I bet if rooter had controll android would be better. People complain about issues. I bet if they listen people won't switch to iOS