T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T Working on One Number for Multiple Phones Tech

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
businessman-with-multiple-cell-phones.jpg

It looks like T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T are working technology that would allow customers to share a single phone number across multiple devices (including wearables and tablets). AT&T already has a name for their tech. They are calling it "Number Sync," and they indicated that the first device which will be compatible with the service will be announced in the coming weeks.

T-Mobile claims that their version of this tech will offer even more than what AT&T is implementing, although they didn't bother to get into specifics yet. Sprint also didn't get into specifics, but they had the following to say when reached for comment,

"At this time, Sprint is exploring offering a service that would allow a customer’s smartphone, tablet and other devices to share a single phone number. Innovation is at the core of our business. We will provide additional details at a later time."

There you have it. Only Verizon has yet to chime in on this concept. This idea seems great for folks who own multiple phones for office and home use.

This seems tailor made for @smalltowngirl13! ;)

Source: Re/Code

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have multiple phone numbers on single device. What the hell is the point if having multiple devices with same number?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd rather have multiple phone numbers on single device. What the hell is the point if having multiple devices with same number?
Same reason Google voice offered the ability to ring all of your devices when that number is called.

So people can call that one number & get you whether you have your phone, tablet, are in your connected car, wearing your lte watch with speakerphone capability, etc.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
But for all that to happen you need to have your phone near by, correct?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not the tablet or the car, necessarily, if they've got some sort of independent data connection.

I read somewhere that at&t's service will only allow one phone to have the number. Every other device must not be a phone.

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I don't have a comment on the one number tech other than I will wait and see.

I really wanted to give props to dgstorm for the photos he finds for these stories! He just made a tough day into a laugh moment for me with this guy's mug! Thanks David!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I could see this for one call family notifications.. Like having your direct family in a group message..except as a voice call...OK..we're done at the mall...everyone meet back at center court...

Or if you're out and one kid isn't answering...you dial all..and say find them.. I need to talk to them...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
One number multi phones has been available here in Asia for years. I know one person who uses the service. Not very popular huh....

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
it's like the old call your home phone your cell phone rings... it's a great idea... allows for home devices that you don't take with you. also, allow multiple numbers on one device.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I asked AT&T many years ago to give me multiple Sims with the same number on it and they said it would never happen. Seems like they are still sticking to their guns.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have a comment on the one number tech other than I will wait and see.

I really wanted to give props to dgstorm for the photos he finds for these stories! He just made a tough day into a laugh moment for me with this guy's mug! Thanks David!
Thanks a ton, and you are welcome! I do my best to find awesome pics that fit the story and are entertaining. That one took me a few mins to scrounge up. :D

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a watch with call capability and independent action from the phone. Right now I have a number for my watch and another number for my phone. It'd be really nice for me to have 1 number so I don't have to forward anything anywhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a watch with call capability and independent action from the phone. Right now I have a number for my watch and another number for my phone. It'd be really nice for me to have 1 number so I don't have to forward anything anywhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I'm surprised that the cell carrier doesn't have a simple answer for that.
I have a business landline on Vonage, that "Simul-Rings" my cell number.
Cell service stinks at home, so when I'm here, I grab the landline...when I'm out I answer my cell.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this even fits here, but I've been using Verizon Messages+ for a few months for SMS/MMS, and there was an update this morning. I saw in the update features that it allows phone calling through a tablet.
744f5ef927361cc594460f10d16e433e.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk