1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

T-Mobile Sends Out Invites to March 26th Event; Plan to be First 'Uncarrier' In US

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 19, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It looks like T-Mobile will soon take a big gamble to shake-up the carrier industry in the United States. They plan to implement their new "uncarrier" strategy in the US on march 26th and have sent out invites for the press event. They will be moving forward with their "contract-free" wireless approach in an attempt to woo customers away from the big three competitors, Verizon, Sprint and AT&T. As you can see in the leaked @evleaks twitter post above, the invite says, "We're still a wireless company. We're just not going to act like one anymore." This could be more than just marketing hype too. Here's a quote with more of the details,

This definitely seems like a truly intriguing idea. Do you guys think it could catch on? If it does we could see T-Mobile rise to prominence, or at the very least force AT&T and Verizon to offer more competitive pricing.

Source: AndroidAuthority
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I just don't get the fuss over contracts. If the service is lousy - which you should know within a matter of days - you can cancel (maybe not easily, but you should be able to). Turnover is ridiculously low - even when people can switch at the end of a contract, they don't.

We can argue if phones were unlocked with no contract people would be jumping around to the best deals every month. But we could look at land lines, home broadband, cable, utilities...just doesn't happen.
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I have to see the cost of the plan first. Right now, I'm happy with AT&T because I dont' deal with them. I fix all my own stuff unless it is from their towers and not my phone. The minutes and data I have are just fine too. I have LTE service where I live, not sure if TMobile does. Texting is the only thing I don't pay for and would probably use it if it was unlimited and part of my service cost. But I pay around $70 a month and dont' want to pay an additional $20 a month for the few texts I do send.

Also, there are still activation costs and what not so it wouldn't' be very feasible to jump around.
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Just go with Google Voice. I guess it can't do MMS, but I don't usually get those. My problem is getting people to use that number - I missed out on porting my cell number before doing so would have cost me my unlimited data.
  5. thc1967

thc1967 Member

The contract thing is far less relevant to me than coverage and cost. If T-Mobile can give me LTE in the places I travel for business and the cost is appreciably less than my current carrier, I'll consider switching.
  6. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

^^^ I'm with THC1967 if they can get better service where I live I'd consider switching. It really is a step in the right direction, sadly it's being taken by the low man on the totem pole because they're hurting....
  7. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

I like T-mobile's strategy problem is they just do not have the infrastructure to make a big enough dent. In the end people will ask the question "will this work here" in other words will I get 4g at home, office, and in between. If the answer is no then why would I leave AT&t or Verizon. Verizon is able to charge what ever they want and do what ever they want because they know there is no one in the US that can touch their coverage. The best chance T-mobile had at making a big impact died with the At&T-mobile deal. I really wish more carriers would follow T-mobile's non contract deal but why would they when they can continue making money hand over fist.
  8. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I do use Google Voice, but trying to get the lemmings I know to actually text me with that number and not my phone number has been a very VERY challenging process.
  9. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

Same as U.S. Cellular re-introducing unlimited now that they're going to 4G devices: great concept, bad carrier. Once they improve coverage and reliability it becomes a viable option.
  10. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

That's true. I thought the same thing about gtalk. Unfortunately, there is no good integration. A friend of mine has an iPhone and says that he can tell when another iPhone user texts him because it appears in a different color. I believe he said that it ends up not being billed as a text message, but rather a free service from apple like Google's gtalk. That would be a great thing to implement on android.
  11. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

this makes sense since their contract priced phones are almost as much as the retail price

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  12. trestevenson

trestevenson Active Member

Perhaps they'll have better coverage if the merger with MetroPCS ultimately goes through. Wasn't Metro the first U.S. carrier with a 4G phone? I don't know much about their coverage, but I've heard it's pretty decent within the cities in which they operate (Atlanta, Tampa, etc.). Anything outside of those major metropolitan areas, however, is pretty abysmal. The combination of their two networks could be a good thing for their customers and make the combined company more competitive.
  13. droidbionicmaster

droidbionicmaster New Member

T mobile and metro have bad coverage especially in the new england area. If you come to new england you will have a hard time finding a t mobile retailer . At&t is starting to fade here as well
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
Search tags for this page

t-mobile uncarrier strategy

t+mobile+well+qualified+buyer+credit score

what does t mobile mean by well qualified buyer

what is a well qualified buyer t mobile

what+are+well+qualified+buyers+at+t mobile