T-Mobile Offers 'Score!' Upgrade Program To Make Phones Cheaper

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
t-mobile-score-plan.jpg

T-Mobile's latest new initiative to draw customers to their network is a bit odd, but seems to offer a decent value. It's called "Score!" and it's basically a way to upgrade to newer devices sooner, and for cheaper than their normal retail.

The way the plan works is a bit complicated. You agree to pay an extra $5 per month on your plan, and as you reach certain stages/tiers of value, you can use your "Score!" to upgrade to a newer device. At the $30 mark over a 6 month period you can basically get a budget-friendly device for free. The value is that the cost of purchasing these devices unlocked and off contract is a bit more than the $30 you just paid over 6 months. One example is the Alcatel OneTouch Evolve 2 which T-Mo sells for $79.20. On their Score! plan, you would get it for free at that six month mark. This is nearly a $50 savings off the normal price of that device.

When you get to the 12 month mark (and $60 paid into the plan), things get more interesting. At that point you can actually choose any device that T-Mobile sells. One example is the 32GB Google Nexus 6. Normally it sells for $649.99, but after 12 months of Score! you can get it for just $499. When you factor in the $60 you paid into the plan, that's a $90 savings, which isn't too shabby.

It's an interesting concept. T-Mobile basically helps you save up for a new device, and then gives you a bonus discount for doing it! There are more details at the source link below, but that's about the gist of it. Sound off and let us know what you think of T-Mobile's idea.

Source: T-Mobile

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
If you are a frequent upgrader then this would make sense. I wonder if it can be coupled with their Jump program?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are a frequent upgrader then this would make sense. I wonder if it can be coupled with their Jump program?

True that because $499 is still a lot of cheese to most folks.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Pardon my being the devil's advocate here, but isn't this simply the Edge program from Verizon but in reverse?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Pardon my being the devil's advocate here, but isn't this simply the Edge program from Verizon but in reverse?
Don't try to use logic. You'll hurt yourself.

Yes, this I exactly vzw edge.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I think Tmo's Jump program is more akin to Verizon's Edge program.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does Edge give a discount on the purchase of a new phone for paying ahead on your Edge bill?
Edge and Jump are, if I understand correctly, the same thing. Where T-Mobile is once again changing the rules is a semi subsidized price on what you move to next. When I used Edge Verizon didn't offer any incentives to pay ahead except eligibility sooner.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4