T-Mobile is Shutting Down their Classic Plans at Best Buy, Walmart & More on Nov 1st

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tmobile_uncarrier.jpg

It's hard to believe this year has flown by so quickly. It seems like it was recently that T-Mobile announced their new Uncarrier plans that do away with subsidized contracts in favor of device payment plans. However, it was actually 8 months ago in March when they announced this "new" concept in mobile for the United States. Because of this long stretch of time it was easy to forget some of the details. For example, even though T-Mobile's new Uncarrier plans effectively eliminated their classic subsidized plans in their own retail stores, T-Mo was still offering their classic plans through third party retail outlets like Walmart, Best Buy, Target and more. That too is about to change.

Starting November 1st, T-Mobile will be shutting down their classic plans at third party retailers as well. This means that at all retail locations, whether it is a third party or a T-Mo store, you will only be able to get one of their new Uncarrier plans. Here's a refresh of their new plans,
  • $50 a month – unlimited talk, text 500MB of 4G (2G speeds once limit is reached)
  • $60 a month – unlimited talk, text, 2.5GB of 4G (2G speeds once limit is reached)
  • $70 a month – unlimited everything (no throttle)
Here's a quote with a final few details,

3rd party retailers will begin sending their post-paid devices back to HQ, with support for device exchanges and buyers remorse to be handled at the wherever the device was originally purchased. It will be interesting to see what T-Mobile has up their sleeves. We know they aren’t going to leave partners like Walmart hanging for very long.

How many of you guys have tried out T-Mobile's new plans? Share your experiences for those of us considering a switch to Big Pink.

Source: Phandroid

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
tmobile_uncarrier.jpg

It's hard to believe this year has flown by so quickly. It seems like it was recently that T-Mobile announced their new Uncarrier plans that do away with subsidized contracts in favor of device payment plans. However, it was actually 8 months ago in March when they announced this "new" concept in mobile for the United States. Because of this long stretch of time it was easy to forget some of the details. For example, even though T-Mobile's new Uncarrier plans effectively eliminated their classic subsidized plans in their own retail stores, T-Mo was still offering their classic plans through third party retail outlets like Walmart, Best Buy, Target and more. That too is about to change.

Starting November 1st, T-Mobile will be shutting down their classic plans at third party retailers as well. This means that at all retail locations, whether it is a third party or a T-Mo store, you will only be able to get one of their new Uncarrier plans. Here's a refresh of their new plans,
  • $50 a month – unlimited talk, text 500MB of 4G (2G speeds once limit is reached)
  • $60 a month – unlimited talk, text, 2.5GB of 4G (2G speeds once limit is reached)
Here's a quote with a final few details,

How many of you guys have tried out T-Mobile's new plans? Share your experiences for those of us considering a switch to Big Pink.

Source: Phandroid

Would love to switch to Pink but, like one person said at the last media conference T-mobile had, have T-mobile fixed the elephant in the room in that in one are you will have strong LTE and two steps left or right the signal will drop to edge. Unlike At&T and Verizon where the signal is consistent T-mobile is rocky depending on where you live. T-mobile needs to continue work on their infrastructure.

Fuzzball

Reaction score

BTW, the Unlimited previously included 500MB of tethering, where the 2.5GB plan could be used for mobile or tethering. To correct this odd decision, they recently changed the Unlimited to include 2.5GB of tethering and then throttle only tethering to 2G speeds afterwards; mobile remains at 4G speeds regardless.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
Would love to switch to Pink but, like one person said at the last media conference T-mobile had, have T-mobile fixed the elephant in the room in that in one are you will have strong LTE and two steps left or right the signal will drop to edge. Unlike At&T and Verizon where the signal is consistent T-mobile is rocky depending on where you live. T-mobile needs to continue work on their infrastructure.

Really depends on your area how good the coverage is. Right now they are in the process of refarming their towers. IIRC it was just AWS that was HSPA+ and the other band was EDGE. What they're doing in the refarm is splitting up all of their bands with one range to be LTE and the other range to be HSPA/42. They should only need to do a firmware update to switch LTE to LTE-Advanced.

Coverage for me hasn't really been any worse than VZW was. I did travel to an area that was EDGE only, but I was surprised that my data needs were met without lag. I do agree they need to improve their coverage. No charge roaming on AT&T is nice, but it's voice only. IMHO they need to get their hands on some lower spectrum frequencies across the US and get on deploying towers.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

My wife is on TMobile here in Central California and she has very consistent LTE speeds when we are in Modesto. No drop offs. When we are where we live, just outside the LTE coverage area, she has strong HSPA signal.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Very true pc747. Even Sprint has been making major leaps with its 4G LTE network. They are now getting vastly improved signal strength in the many areas they have upgraded to 4G LTE over the past few months. We have seen evidence that in several big cities Sprint's 4G LTE coverage and speeds are comparable to AT&T and Verizon. The question is, how long will it take for T-Mo to catch up to even Sprint?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I have been considering giving T-Mobile a try but when I found out that their Throttling goes from LTE to 2G that's a killer right there I wouldn't mind 3G but EDGE is so crappy you can barely load a web page.

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.

WestOkid

Reaction score
Can you stream audio (e.g. Pandora, Google Music, TuneIn Radio) with 2g?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can you stream audio (e.g. Pandora, Google Music, TuneIn Radio) with 2g?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I don't think so. Well most likely not reliably. And that's one of my main concerns. I stream Google music or Pandora for almost 40 hours per week while at work or when studying.

Beamed From the white sun in the S4 Galaxy.