T-Mobile Had a Monster Year in 2014

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
t-mobile-john-legere-why-not.jpg

It turns out that T-Mobile's Uncarrier plans for 2014 were even better than 2013. The next phases of their master plan to get competitive with AT&T and Verizon came into full swing during 2014 and gave them impressive results. It seems that customers where swayed by T-Mo's rollover data plans and offers to pay off rivals’ early termination fees.

Here's a quote with the details,

T-Mobile released its fourth-quarter earnings report on Wednesday and it puts an exclamation point on the huge year that the “Un-carrier” had in 2014. In total, T-Mobile added 8.3 million total customers last year, of which 4 million were branded postpaid phone subscribers. In the fourth quarter last year, T-Mobile added 2.1 million net subscribers along with 1 million postpaid phone subscribers.

The branded postpaid numbers are particularly important because postpaid phone subscribers deliver more average revenue per user than prepaid subscribers and also have lower churn rates. So while it wouldn’t be surprising to see T-Mobile add lots of prepaid customers given its aggressive push to market itself as a value carrier, it seems the company is attracting more lucrative subscribers as well.

What does this all mean going forward? Well, it likely means that T-Mobile will soon overtake Sprint for the third-most subscribers in the American wireless industry if it hasn’t already.

What do you think of T-Mobile's chances to really shake things up this year and overtake Sprint?

Source: T-Mobile Q4 2014 earnings Another monster quarter BGR

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I switched our plan to the 2 lines for $100 that gives unlimited voice/texts/LTE data. Rollover data is nice and would have used that if that $100 plan wasn't there. It actually saved us like $20 a month. Unlimited music streaming with no data cap usage is also nice. TMobile is doing a great job, hope they keep it up.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think their aggressive upgrading of existing service areas to lte will continue to help but alas their rollout of new service areas still leaves a lot to be desired. Honestly I'd rather have 2g everywhere than 4g in some spots,0 in others. Crappy speed and call ability is better than no ability. Sprint and T-Mobile both lag far behind in coverage areas and neither seems to be in a race to change that.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
T-Mobile's plan of rolling over data is great! Even though they are still lacking in "coverage", they continue to push the boundaries with their excellent pricing & data options, and that benefits us all!

S5 tap'n

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yup. I agree. I flat out LOVE what they do as far as plans and devices, they're unmatched.

...But their coverage areas are like jeans in the early 90s.

929711100e99b0518c53f829323ca934.jpg

boidsonly

Reaction score
I just finished my "Test Drive" of the service-good enough at home and around to get by. I'll be making the switch from VZW as soon as I can get my hands on a Nexus 6. Moving the family will save me $80/mo.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I just finished my "Test Drive" of the service-good enough at home and around to get by. I'll be making the switch from VZW as soon as I can get my hands on a Nexus 6. Moving the family will save me $80/mo.

We did the test drive as well. Only one of our family members had issues inside of their house.

Tmo sent us a free signal repeater which I set up over there and now they have 4 bars inside.

I'm on the unlimited plan as well. The free music streaming, unlimited LTE, 5 GB of tethering, and the fact that they still roam on AT&T towers (great for those out of the way areas) is keeping me happy.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We did the test drive as well. Only one of our family members had issues inside of their house.

Tmo sent us a free signal repeater which I set up over there and now they have 4 bars inside.

I'm on the unlimited plan as well. The free music streaming, unlimited LTE, 5 GB of tethering, and the fact that they still roam on AT&T towers (great for those out of the way areas) is keeping me happy.
Read your fine print for roaming. On my plan I only got 10MB(not a misprint) a day without overage charges when roaming.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Can you turn off or limit the data roaming?

Yes. I have mine set to not roam. On my Note Edge the setting is under Settings, More Networks, Mobile Networks, Data Roaming.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Read your fine print for roaming. On my plan I only got 10MB(not a misprint) a day without overage charges when roaming.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yeah I found it odd that I get unlimited data usage for free while overseas, but they limited U.S. usage.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Color me unimpressed growing subscribers by giving away your service. Can they continue to gain subscribers when they start charging enough to actually make a profit? And when they raise prices to eke out a profit, will they be able to keep the customers they've gained?

Caesars

Reaction score
They will pass sprint by end of q1 2015 imho. That being said tmobile and sprint are going to have to WORK to catch up to Verizon/att, at this point they need to grow like they are now and absorb other networks to close the gap.

Either way I love tmobile, they work excellent in Akron Ohio,and I have unlimited LTE :), go PINK!

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Nice! Now here is hoping they build out their network so I can use it outside a major metropolitan area.
Come T-mobile, give me a reason to leave Verizon!