T-Mobile Ditches Data Caps In Favor Of Unlimited Data For All! Sorta

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

T-mobile made a pretty huge announcement regarding their cell phone plans going forward. The new plan has been dubbed T-Mobile One. On the surface it sounds like a pretty amazing deal. There will no longer be capped data plans. This also gets rid of roll over data. The plan includes unlimited everything. You get unlimited calls, text, and data. The first line is $70, line number 2 is $50 per month and then you can add up to 8 more lines at $20 each.

When you read the fine print you can see how these plans benefit T-Mobile more than the do the consumer. This effectively eliminates the low tier cheaper plans. Those of you who simply don't need unlimited data will possibly have to pay for a plan that includes it once your contract expires. Unless of course they decide to grandfather tiered data plans. T-Mobile will throttle the top 3% of users which is anyone using 26GB or more per month. Throttling brings you down to 2G speeds. All video services are throttled down to 480p including Netflix and Youtube. You can actually get rid of that 480p limit for an extra $25 per month. You can tether your unlimited data to other devices at 2G speeds over wifi hotspot, or you can get 5GB of high speed tethering for an extra $15.

As you can see this plan seems a bit wolfinsheepsclothingy. The plan arrives on September 6. Existing customers can transfer over to the new plan if they find that they are being charged for overages regularly.

via T-mobile

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
From everything I've read about these plans, the only thing i haven't heard people talk about on the forums was Net Neutrality. It's going to be interesting to see if this plan sticks around for very long, as from what it appears, to be breaking even the FCC's Open Internet Rules, which strictly prohibit such paid prioritization as they are trying to do in this new plan. I did find one article about it located at Net neutrality advocates have concerns about T-Mobile's new unlimited data plan pretty much sums up what I have yet to see people going off about. And this is not just a T-mobile thing, but their plan specifically states that users may pay to get around the throttling, which is something I did not see in a similar plan offered up by Sprint.

R

RETG

Where I live T is not an option anyway, but the plans suck for people like me. I have 1gb with Verizon and never came close. When home I'm on my internet, when in my truck, I'm on the truck's built in hotspot, so I use 4GLTE on occasion when away from both. And when I camp, I connect to the truck, if lucky, or just do without (not too bad really).

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I hope I can keep my 4 lines for $120 with 6 gigs of data each and can tether that entire amount if I choose too. This new plan is more expensive than my current one.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hope I can keep my 4 lines for $120 with 6 gigs of data each and can tether that entire amount if I choose too. This new plan is more expensive than my current one.

From what I understand this is just the new plans, they should not be forcing you onto them unless they are better for you. You should be grandfathered in, at least for awhile to the current plan you have.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I was thinking of going tmo but not anymore. This plan is horrible.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It's really no different than $95 unlimited I have now

6S PLUS
It's not?

Unlimited LTE on your smartphone includes 14GB of tethering.
From what it looks like to me it's a lot different. $15 extra for 5GB of tethering at LTE speeds.