T-Mobile Announces Layer3 TV Acquisition. They Plan To "Un-carrier" Cable TV

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tmobile-tv2-t-mobile-jpg.78146

T-mobile has just announced their acquisition of TV tech pioneer "Layer3 TV". They will be launching an all new TV service in their "Un-carrier" fashion in 2018. T-Mobile will be working closely with the Layer3 TV team to build their new TV service. John Legere CEO of T-mobile hopes to bring some extra choice to the market place and remove the normal pain points of cable TV.

The strategy here will be to "do away with multi year contracts, confusing sky high bills, exploding bundles, clunky technology, outdated UIs, closed systems, and lousy customer service." T-mobile will utilize its LTE service to deliver TV. Layer3 TV already offers streaming cable tv services in 5 cities nationwide.

Layer3 TV does seem like a premium service in the midst of the other streaming cable options available. Services like DirecTV Now and Youtube TV only offer a handful of channels while Layer3TV gives you the entire IPTV experience with more than 275HD channels, the ability to record up to 1000 shows, and the ability to record up to 8 streams at once. If T-Mobile finds a way to offer this exact service over LTE for a fraction of the cost of traditional cable they may be able to gobble up a huge chunk of the market. This definitely looks interesting. I look forward to see what T-mo and Layer3 are able to come up with.

via T-mobile

Attachments

• tmobile-tv2-t-mobile.jpg
    tmobile-tv2-t-mobile.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2,896

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Before the start doing this, they reaalllly need to make sure they have better coverage especially in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Before the start doing this, they reaalllly need to make the have better coverage especially in my neck of the woods.

They are not concerned about coverage, they just want to be in position to make money so that when net neutrality is removed they can line their pockets. Part of their next "uncarrier plan" is likely going to be to have their own cable service as AT&T has Directv, and Verizon has Xfinity.

Can't you smell the money leave our pockets and line theirs?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not really. What can they offer that internet doesn't provide already?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
the thing is they will still have to pay fees to the different networks they stream. I doubt it would be any better than sling. even local stations want payments to stream their local channels. It is going to be interesting how t-mobile handles the service. If it is going to be free for their wireless customers and have a pay service for those who are not wireless customers or what?