T-Mobile Accused of False Advertising by Consumer Advocacy Groups in New York

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 8, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It looks like T-Mobile might soon be investigated for false advertising by the New York Attorney General’s office and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. A number of (unnamed) consumer advocacy groups have filed suit against T-Mobile claiming “deceptive marketing and abusive debt collection practices.”

Here's a quote with a few more of the specifics:

"More specifically, the group is raising issue with T-Mobile’s claim that customers can switch carriers any time, as apparently 91 percent of its customers are on two-year payment plans for devices that require lump sum costs to exit from.

Furthermore, the complaint points out that ending the financial agreements early can end up costing consumers more than if they broke traditional service contracts.
    " ~ Android Authority

The group will supposedly be bringing this complaint to the Federal Communications Commission and has similar issues with some of the other US carriers. T-Mobile has not responded to the accusation at this time.

2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +756
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    What a bunch of BS. They tell you straight up that if you choose to leave that you will have to pay off the remaining balance of the phone. You are paying off a physical item, not some penalty for leaving them early. I just bought a Moto E for my daughter and and will be adding a line to our account when it arrives. If I decide to move her line to ATT as a pay as you go phone, I'll be able to simply cancel the line and be done with it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    I think the biggest difference is that you don't "have" to buy the phone from them. You could buy one from E-bay or anyone who has a phone that's compatible with their network. Whereas with the service contracts, you had to get the service through them which you had to break if you left. And they do make it clear, at least in most cases that you have to pay off the phone. If you read some of the comments on the main article everyone agrees that this is a bogus complaint.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +78
    I thought this would be because of their great event where they said they were doubling everyones data at no charge which was an out right lie. In fact when i made a copy of that part of the event and asked legere how this was not a lie instead of answering he blocked me on twitter. which as anyone knows is just the be all to end all as its so hard to create another twitter account if you cared too. which i dont as i have no need to talk with lairs.

what this lawsuit is for is bogus agreed.