1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

SystemPanel App - doesn't show "live" CPU Clock speed

Discussion in 'UltimateDroid' started by spiff72, Dec 8, 2010.

1. spiff72

spiff72 New Member

Hey everyone,

Just moved to UD 2.3.0 from another ROM (Sapphire 1.1.1), and so far it is SWEET! I will probably be upgrading to the 2.4.0 version later today.

I just have a couple of questions about overclocking for the experts out there...

I am on the Droid 1, and using the latest Slayher 1200 kernel (max 1100, min 300). I was at 1200, but I had a spontaneous reboot last night while in the Market updating a few apps.

1. Is SetCPU even needed on this ROM? It appears that there are built in overclocking settings within the "Ultimate Settings" menu, and I have been using them (successfully as far as I can tell). I actually uninstalled SetCPU for this reason. This leads to question 2:

2. I also run an app called SystemPanel. It monitors various factors (battery, cpu, etc) and runs in the background. Previously, when I would run the program and look at the live stats, it would show a visual indicator of the current clock speed and the numeric value. Now, it just shows as zero. Is this related to the ROM, or is it related to the kernel?

Here is a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

With SetCPU, you had a way to view the "live" clock speed if you wanted (with either the active widget) within the app itself.

Finally, what is your recommendation regarding the governor? I have always used the "ondemand" option, but I have heard others like the "interactive"...

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
  2. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

The one thing I can comment on is your observation in system panel not showing the "real time" cpu speed....Slayhers kernels have never displayey the real time cpu speed in system panel, nor do they show the "time in state" in setc cpu nor do they show cpu info in "android system info" app, regardless of the rom (petty reason, but that is the reasons i dont use them, they are great kernels, but i find that info helpful at monitoring what ur cpu is doing, so i stick with chevys) It seems some kernels show that info others do not, & some seem to show that info sporadically.
  3. spiff72

spiff72 New Member

So this is a kernel limitation - not the ROM? Are you using chevy's kernel with UD 2.3.0?

Thanks for the response!
  4. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

I can say with confidence its a kernel thing...I have used chevys kernels with the last 3 UD roms with 100% success.
  5. sonnydroid

sonnydroid New Member

I'm using a Slayher kernel and mine DOES show a live speed. Both 1.6 and LFY work. At times, upon reboot, it won't show for a couple of minutes; I don't know why it does that, but after a few mins, I get a live cpu clock speed

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Strange....mine would do just the opposite, when sporadically slayhers would show the live speed for me it was always right away after a reboot, then the first time my phone would "sleep" after waking it, would no longer display the speeds....I would like to hear others results to do with this.

7. Adrozz07

Adrozz07 New Member

I have also been using System Panel and for some time now ( not positive but maybe a couple months ) the app stopped giving me accurate clock speeds. I have used multiple kernels on multiple roms and still the same result. Sometimes the cpu clock would be active, sometimes not, but still doesn't accurately reflect my speed. I am using a Chevy ULV 1.1 and it only shows my max at 800. (which by the way is the stock max for UD 2.4). My feeling is that the app needs an update.
  8. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Are u using Setcpu or the built in cpu clock in ud settings?

9. Adrozz07

Adrozz07 New Member

10. sonnydroid

sonnydroid New Member

It is strange. Just did three tests (reboots) and got a live speed right away, on all three reboots.

11. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

In the past have u noticed at all if it would affect system panel showing the cpu speed regardless if u were using setcpu or the built in overclocking setting?

And im sure uve tried all the obvious, rebooting, wiping cache before a new kernel install, clearing data in settings/apps/manage apps/ all....etc...etc...

12. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Other questons, does set cpu show in the "info" tab does it show the "time in state" does it have all zeros or possibly just say "null"

Also maybe install "android system info" from the market & again check it there go to "system" tab then to "cpu" what does it show? And while there refresh it a few times hit the menu rab on phone & the refresh option will pop up........& what kernel are u using when doing this?
  13. Adrozz07

Adrozz07 New Member

Yep, that's why all I can figure is that its an App/kernel communication issue, however you just said it worked flawlessly on a triple reboot, sooooooooooo........I dunno, lol. Not exactly the hindering anything, everything is running smooth as butter.

14. spiff72

spiff72 New Member

What are you using to view the speed? SystemPanel? Or something else?
  15. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Agreed...its seems to be a "hit or miss" random thing.....

16. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy New Member

Please see my post a few up....

17. spiff72

spiff72 New Member

Actually I was wondering what sonnydroid was using...I haven't seen him reply to this question.
  18. spiff72

spiff72 New Member

Well, I just flashed Chevy's latest 1200ulv kernel, and sure enough, I am getting the "live" cpu clock speed showing up in SystemPanel and in the Android System Info app.

The only issue I have with Chevy's kernels are that they don't appear to support Compcache. I honestly don't know if compcache really does all that much, but I like to know it is there. :)

I will try this kernel out for a while at 400-1200 and see how my battery life is. I wish chevy had a 300MHz slot at the lowest position - it seems like a nice compromise between 250 and 400.

Thanks
  19. sonnydroid

sonnydroid New Member

Yea, SystemPanel

20. spiff72

spiff72 New Member

Weird.

I just flashed the 1.6 Slayher kernel to see if that was the difference (I was on the LFY one), but still no live cpu clock speed visible.