1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

SystemPanel: a task killer for people who hate task killers.

Discussion in 'App Announcements' started by tliebeck, Mar 1, 2010.

1. tliebeck

tliebeck New Member

(scroll down for screenshots)

Hello all,

I've written a new task manager / system information app called "SystemPanel". It displays a list of running applications, and allows you to view information about them, e.g., memory consumption, when they were started, how much CPU time they've used since start, and so on. It of course provides "task killing" capabilities; it can end individual apps, all apps, or groups of apps such as "inactive" or "background" apps.

It also provides meters to show you current CPU consumption, network use, memory use, and SD card use. A "system info" function is available from the menu that provides all the gory details about your phone, everything from your Wi-Fi router's mac address to your Android build number.

A word of warning....SystemPanel does NOT offer a capability to automatically kill tasks in order to "save battery life". I disagree with the idea that such a thing would offer an improvement. The Android OS does a fine job of this all by itself, and such a capability would only be helpful if an app were suffering from a bug (or poorly written), such that is consumed battery unnecssarily in a semi-dormant state. And in that case, killing it every few minutes isn't going to solve the problem...one needs to uninstall it or contact the developer. If you happen to know a technically sound reason why such a task killing strategy is beneficial with well written apps, please let me know, and I'll be happy to rethink this. If you do want such functionality, there are tons of other task killers that supposedly have this feature.

Please feel free to post bugs / suggest features. At the time of this writing, 1.0b1 has just hit the market. It's been tested on Droid, Nexus One, G1, and a few emulators. It supports 1.5-2.1+, QVGA, HVGA, and WVGA.

Search for either "SystemPanel" or "NextApp" on the market.

Best
    --Tod
  2. tliebeck

tliebeck New Member

Main screen:
    [​IMG]

Viewing details about a process:
    [​IMG]

"System Info" screen, available from menu:
    [​IMG]

"Monitor" screen, available from menu, or by tapping on graphs at top of main screen:
    [​IMG]

"Installer Package Details" screen, showing an installed package that has been archived to the SD card.
    [​IMG]
  3. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

looks interesting...
  4. drummerq

drummerq New Member

hey guys,

i just got this app and thought id put a little of my opinion on it.

first the UI is awesome. Very clean, very nice looking

second it does exactly what the Dev said, it doesn't end all your tasks just one at a time, manually

third is tells you the usage of each of your apps(my favorite part of this app). This is good because is shows you why you truly don't need a task killer for 90% of your apps

I need to use it more but i think it will help, not as an alternative for a task killer but a good way to understand the usage of apps
  5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy New Member

It would be nice if you could change the sort order of how the list of apps are displayed. Right now, it appears that they are only displayed in Alpha order. It would be useful to also be able to sort by Memory usage and CPU.

Also as I was just watching the display, every couple of minutes I could see my CPU go from 10% up to 95% for several seconds then swing back down, but I was unable to tell which app was causing this. My phone gets very laggy from time to time, and I would love to be able to track down what app may be causing that (and I suspect that having the OS at > 90% utilization may be one of the contributing factors for the occasional lag)
  6. tliebeck

tliebeck New Member

@kiwiguy, yes this most definitely needs to go into the app. I'm currently working on the package management feature for the next release, but will be expanding the process viewer soon to provide these capabilities.

There's an application called "TOP" on the android market which will show you the list of Linux processes. It's an old app that doesn't appear to be maintained, and it's pretty ugly...but it may help...fire it up when you see the CPU usage spike, and see if you can tell which process name is consuming a high CPU percentage.

You may want to kill this app when you're done using it as well, looks like it might be hanging around as a background process longer than one might want.
  7. GerryG35

GerryG35 New Member

Just downloaded - first impression: awesome! Extremely visually pleasing while providing important useful information. Also, I liked the intuitive UI - I touched the parts I thought would drill down - and they did.

Apparently this is a beta version that promises continued development so I assume it will get even more useful. I recommend this app to anyone who wants to know what's happening with the operating system.
  8. MontyMo

MontyMo New Member

Great App. Nice and clean
    +1
    Monty
  9. jsmcdon1

jsmcdon1 New Member

Actually a very nice app. Great information and interface, but definitely needs the option to sort by memory and CPU utilization. Good job and keep up the good work.
  10. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

As I just posted in the market comments for this app: this is exactly what I've been looking for.

Awesome app!
  11. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

pretty cool app. I'll be keeping it until internal memory is needed.
  12. Slider46

Slider46 New Member

Very nice. Looks great and I like that I can now know how much system resources are being used by what applications. :)
  13. Rasin'2boys

Rasin'2boys New Member

Hey Tod,
    Put the barcode for the app in here so folks can scan it and install in one quick motion, might up your downloads...
    headed to the market now.
  14. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

AWESOME JOB :)

This is a very nice application...nice features and info about each app.

Even allows you to open the app from SystemPanel. And I love how it tells the Package Name, ex. SetCPU=com.mhuang.overclocking.apk

That's helpful if you need it.

Very nice job man. I'm definitely keeping this. You could make some $ off of this too I guarantee it...
  15. TimChgo9

TimChgo9 New Member

Downloaded it to give it a try. Looks good so far. Nice clean UI.... I like the look of the program. I'll post some thoughts on it after I use it for awhile.

Nice job!
  16. tliebeck

tliebeck New Member

Hi all!

The second beta release is out. This is a fairly significant overhaul of the app, and adds a major new component, the "Installer". Task killer exclusion has also been added, along with a better "end all" menu.

The Installer is an application manager which allows you to archive/install (non-copy-protected) apps to your SD card. With this feature, you can archive multiple versions of an app to your SD card. This is helpful if you want to keep seldom-used apps out of your precious and limited application memory. It additionally enables you to avoid the heartbreak of updating an app and finding out the new version is broken...just make sure you archive a version/versions which have worked well for you *before* you update an app.

Installing requires that your device support installing non-market apps, and that you have this feature enabled.

The Installer is the first PAID feature. The app will have Lite/Pro versions, with the Lite version being free (and NOT having ads), and the Pro version being paid. During beta, all features are free. If you have no intent of ever buying the paid version and don't want to be annoyed by its features, there is an option in the settings which you can uncheck such the app will behave as the Lite version.

As *OFTEN* requested, the task killer now has an exclude feature. In retrospect, it was a bad call not to have this feature in beta1.

The "end all" feature has been changed a bit. Previously, you had to press-and-hold "end all" to see a context menu of options. The new behavior is that pressing end all brings up a dialog which allows selecting a "level" of apps to end, while press-holding it will end all non-excluded apps.

The small icons option is not present yet, but if you uncheck the "show menu button" option in the Settings you'll buy a bit more screen real estate.

Please let me know what you think, greatly appreciate bug reports/feature requests/criticism. 1.0b2 has been tested on Droid, N1, G1, QVGA 1.6 emulator, and HVGA 1.5 emulator. It should support anything 1.5+.

And thanks for all the kind words!

Best
    --Tod
  17. dbronstein

dbronstein Member

Great app! Is there a way to find out what is using your memory? It shows that 65% of my memory is being used and I have 79.1M free, but I would love to know what is using all of that memory. That would be an awesome feature to have.
  18. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Just installed it and will give it a shot.
  19. kauthor477

kauthor477 New Member

Just installed, very impressed. This is the type of thing that deserves to be paid for, imho.

If I may make a bit of a weird suggestion though- would it be possible to have this launch on boot and kill everything except certain (ie, system/excluded) apps? I usually kill a bunch of crap when my phone starts up to free up some RAM.
  20. Booch_21

Booch_21 New Member

Giving it a try now. Looks impressive!
Search tags for this page
how to use system panel
how to use system panel app

market://details?id=waon.app

system panel lite exclude
systempanel android task killer exclusion
systempanel memory usage
systenpanel lite excluded