System updates

DethDroid

Reaction score
Hi Everyone...this may have been asked but I couldn't find anything when searching....my phone is currently running 6.12.173.XT912. I read something about a new system update but when I check my phone all I get is "check for updates is not available at this time try again later" this has been going on now for a while. Is anyone else getting this message? Also I have read on the forums that if you remove software that you wont be able to upgrade/update? Is that correct? I have removed a few programs that I will never use so did I mess things up? I am not rooted so I have not removed anything that cannot be removed by normal uninstall method. For those I have chosen to hide them from my apps page.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Hi Everyone...this may have been asked but I couldn't find anything when searching....my phone is currently running 6.12.173.XT912. I read something about a new system update but when I check my phone all I get is "check for updates is not available at this time try again later" this has been going on now for a while. Is anyone else getting this message? Also I have read on the forums that if you remove software that you wont be able to upgrade/update? Is that correct? I have removed a few programs that I will never use so did I mess things up? I am not rooted so I have not removed anything that cannot be removed by normal uninstall method. For those I have chosen to hide them from my apps page.

Nope, you have the most current version.

David

OP
D

DethDroid

Reaction score
What is worrying me and confusing me is when I check my sons Maxx (we bought them at the same time) it tells me he is running current and up to date. So why then is my Maxx not able to even check? It is still giving me the message that check for update is not available. I am worried that I may have done something when playing around with settings or something. Any advise would be appreciated.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Getting that message is nothing to worry about. Some people report getting it constantly, while others don't. Sometimes being on 4G/3G as opposed to WiFi can make a difference in the message you get when checking, but it doesn't indicate a problem. It generally indicates work on Motorola's end of the system (which most often doesn't imply they're prepping an update). In the end, updates get to everyone. So don't worry about that.

If you haven't removed anything that can't be removed through the normal uninstall process, then you're fine for updates. It's the removable of bloatware that cannot be uninstalled through the normal process that causes updates to fail.

If you haven't rooted, "playing around with settings" won't cause any problems to prevent you from receiving updates. You're fine. Nothing to worry about.

There is an update being pushed this week.

We know it's coming soon, but there's no confirmation that it's coming this week.

OP
D

DethDroid

Reaction score
Thanks bsweetness (and David and jm). I feel relieved. It is just odd to me that both of our phones will react so differently when they are the same phone. But as long as I am ok I am happy :biggrin:dancedroid

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks bsweetness (and David and jm). I feel relieved. It is just odd to me that both of our phones will react so differently when they are the same phone. But as long as I am ok I am happy :biggrin:dancedroid

Same phone, but different identifying numbers that can affect the updating process. Along those same lines, don't be concerned if your son gets a notification for an update (when it rolls out) and you don't at the same time. They roll out in stages, and who gets it when is random.

OP
D

DethDroid

Reaction score
Same phone, but different identifying numbers that can affect the updating process. Along those same lines, don't be concerned if your son gets a notification for an update (when it rolls out) and you don't at the same time. They roll out in stages, and who gets it when is random.

I just hope the mom phone gets hers first LOL I switched over to WiFi and checked again and now, while on WiFi, I get the message that I am up to date, go figure :huh:dancedroid

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I just hope the mom phone gets hers first LOL I switched over to WiFi and checked again and now, while on WiFi, I get the message that I am up to date, go figure :huh:dancedroid

Yeah, I almost always get the message about the check for update not being available at this time if I check over 4G/3G. Over WiFi, I almost always get the your device is up to date message (unless there's an update). That's not always the case, but it seems to be how things normally go for me.

RicardoB

Reaction score
Mine woke me up during the night early this morning asking me if I wanted to install the update. Installed fine. RAZR Maxx.

bouncindread

Reaction score
after update

Yeah, I almost always get the message about the check for update not being available at this time if I check over 4G/3G. Over WiFi, I almost always get the your device is up to date message (unless there's an update). That's not always the case, but it seems to be how things normally go for me.

It looks like I just lost all root privileges. I went to take a screnshot and super user denies everything. Very wierd cause it was working fine earlier.

Shadowlord

Reaction score
My update keeps failing, I am rooted, tried voodoo, with no frozen apps or deleted apps. Nothing works. I was thinking if safe strap would work our am I confessed on the purpose of safe strap.