System update?

kenryan

Reaction score
I just want to also confirm that this does work. My process was:

1. Change file extension of all the apk's I turned off by renaming them when i rooted back to have .apk file extensions (ie, blockbuster.off changed back to blockbuster.apk)
2. Download and install OTA Rootkeeper
3. Backup root with OTA Rootkeeper
4. Take OTA update, let phone reboot
5. After rebooting with the OTA applied, restored root with OTA Rootkeeper
6. Change all apk's i don't want back to a .off file extension
7. rebooted the phone just to make sure everything stayed, and it's good

Bummer. Didn't work for me.

I did your step 1 after your step 3, and I didn't have any apk's I didn't want so step 6 didn't apply.
No brickage, Rootkeeper just doesn't seem to be able to restore root.

Guess I'll wait until someone breaks it (soon I hope)...

Jeffyo

Reaction score
I got it too just in case. Lucky I double checked on rooting before I let the update screw me. Still on 2.3.3. But it's great cause I'm rooted!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Jeffyo

Reaction score
way to take one for the team

****! Thanks for doing the bad thing for us all. I was able to fail my update so I could keep root and avoid this whole thing. I've got rootkeeper installed but it sounds like it's hit or miss.

duck on quack

Reaction score
I managed to avoid the automatic download (which only gives you 20 seconds to avoid) the first time, but apparently missed it shortly after. Thankfully, it said the update had been downloaded but it allowed me to postpone the installation for an hour.

At this point I rooted and froze the Blur "Updater" and "Upgrader" apps as someone mentioned in another thread.

Weird thing is... in /cache, I can see the downloaded file, but it's named Blur_Version.4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip. Isn't 4.5.601 the version I'm currently on, and 4.5.622 is the new scary update? Doesn't make any sense that it would be named 601 instead of 622...

Regardless, by freezing those two apps the I can't even manually update through settings, so I assume I'm safe.

Modred189

Reaction score
Holy speedbump batman! I, unfortunately, hit the update button before thinking about root. But I might be glad I did. It gave a significant speed increase. the Wifi wake issue seems gone too.

Is there a changelog somewhere?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I managed to avoid the automatic download (which only gives you 20 seconds to avoid) the first time, but apparently missed it shortly after. Thankfully, it said the update had been downloaded but it allowed me to postpone the installation for an hour.

At this point I rooted and froze the Blur "Updater" and "Upgrader" apps as someone mentioned in another thread.

Weird thing is... in /cache, I can see the downloaded file, but it's named Blur_Version.4.5.601.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip. Isn't 4.5.601 the version I'm currently on, and 4.5.622 is the new scary update? Doesn't make any sense that it would be named 601 instead of 622...

Regardless, by freezing those two apps the I can't even manually update through settings, so I assume I'm safe.

the name refers to the version its replacing

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

thebove

Reaction score
I got the notice for the update this morning, but I haven't applied it yet. I have one question about the RootKeeper method if anyone could answer it for me, that would be great. If you do the RootKeeper method with the OTA update, does the WiFi Tether app still work? I remember with the Gingerbread update you had to do a little hacking to get it to work right. I'm currently running WiFi Tether version 3.1-beta6. WiFi Tethering is my #1 reason to root, so I want to make sure that won't be broken if I do this.

I'm using Barnacle instead of WiFi Tether, which has it's own set of quirkiness, so I don't know if will help your or not, but FWIW using the method I posted I'm still able to use Barnacle.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have an idea, but I'm not sure whether it will work. This is the backup file for SU before I accepted the .621 update. You can place it in your /system file, then after downloading and installing SU, you can download and install Voodoo Root Keeper to see if it will allow you to restore root using my backup.

http://db.tt/lI5rD6KH

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
you can not change system, unless your rooted, that is what rooted does.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I didn't know if you could move a file to /system or not.

Qrror

Reaction score
Hi friends! I accidentally upgraded my Droid 2 to 621 is there any way to get root on the 621?

Jeffyo

Reaction score
Hi friends! I accidentally upgraded my Droid 2 to 621 is there any way to get root on the 621?

Sorry but not right now. There was a way posted on phandroid you can check into but looked fairly complicated. You know how to use Linux?

Jeffyo

Reaction score