System update?

Khiraji

Reaction score
Sometimes the purpose of your (my) life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

I just got home from the VZW store and the nice folks down there tried everything, including (what I assume was) SBFing using some special in-house tech. No dice. They are overnighting me a refurbished D3, which will be here Wednesday. I'm thankful I paid up my phone insurance.

Moment of silence for my D2. Goodnight sweet prince :(

Last edited:

VetteLeo

Reaction score
Droid 2 update 4.5.621 breaks root, and blocks all known exploits, which means at the moment you cannot re-root after installing the update. However there is a way to retain root and still get the update.

If you update to 4.5.621 and want to retain root you must install RootKeeper first.

RootKeeper is an app available on Google Play. Simply install, open, and run a backup. Then after installing update 4.5.621 use RootKeeper to restore root permissions.

I can confirm it does work, and for right now at least is the only way to be rooted on Droid 2 system version 4.5.621.

I came on here looking for answers, and this one is the best one. I've got a rooted Droid 2 and wanted to keep my root (screenshots of my phone are essential!). I got the notice to update last night, but was skeptical because I updating usually kills root. I found this forum, did what was instructed above, and it works. I was able to update and keep my root. Thanks a lot guys!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

thebove

Reaction score
Droid 2 update 4.5.621 breaks root, and blocks all known exploits, which means at the moment you cannot re-root after installing the update. However there is a way to retain root and still get the update.

If you update to 4.5.621 and want to retain root you must install RootKeeper first.

RootKeeper is an app available on Google Play. Simply install, open, and run a backup. Then after installing update 4.5.621 use RootKeeper to restore root permissions.

I can confirm it does work, and for right now at least is the only way to be rooted on Droid 2 system version 4.5.621.

I just want to also confirm that this does work. My process was:

1. Change file extension of all the apk's I turned off by renaming them when i rooted back to have .apk file extensions (ie, blockbuster.off changed back to blockbuster.apk)
2. Download and install OTA Rootkeeper
3. Backup root with OTA Rootkeeper
4. Take OTA update, let phone reboot
5. After rebooting with the OTA applied, restored root with OTA Rootkeeper
6. Change all apk's i don't want back to a .off file extension
7. rebooted the phone just to make sure everything stayed, and it's good

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
could someone, rooted, save the update.zip

download the update via about phone> software update , NOT INSTALL IT, then pull the update.zip from the /cache partition

you needed to be rooted, to move from cache, then upload to somewhere it should only be 14mb

Canadroid

Reaction score

I can report that this worked for me as well, and has allowed me to hoard jealously onto my grizzled and rooted D2 for a while longer yet.

Thanks for posting. dancedroid

ponyboy03

Reaction score
Good thing I came back here to take a look, I was just about to SBF my phone. So what do I do? Do you think someone will provide a method to re-root this new update?

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure this updates the bootloader, its got an updated radio, cdt.bin, and some .gpb file

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

jmonty42

Reaction score
I got the notice for the update this morning, but I haven't applied it yet. I have one question about the RootKeeper method if anyone could answer it for me, that would be great. If you do the RootKeeper method with the OTA update, does the WiFi Tether app still work? I remember with the Gingerbread update you had to do a little hacking to get it to work right. I'm currently running WiFi Tether version 3.1-beta6. WiFi Tethering is my #1 reason to root, so I want to make sure that won't be broken if I do this.

jmonty42

Reaction score

download the update via about phone> software update , NOT INSTALL IT, then pull the update.zip from the /cache partition

you needed to be rooted, to move from cache, then upload to somewhere it should only be 14mb

So I've got it downloaded (I'm pretty sure), but my /cache folder is empty (using OI File Manager to browse it). Could it have been placed somewhere else?

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

I have it in a post here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2083906

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I'm not 100% sure this updates the bootloader, its got an updated radio, cdt.bin, and some .gpb file

it may not the reports of the update failing and phone rebooting to bootloader mode, are diffident than the D2g
D2 failed update has been
Bootloader
D2.37
Err:A5,70,00,00,23

Battery OK
OK to Program
D2G failed update has been
MEM-MAP Blank error
Service Req'd
just what I've noticed
but the R2D2 update has blocked flashing SBF

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is really a bummer. I'm rooted on the new update. I think I'm about done with Motorola and their locking.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2