System update?

psychicdroid

Reaction score
This is what was on my phone when I woke up this morning. Hadn't heard anything being pushed. Any ideas what it is?

silverfang77

Reaction score
Is anyone else getting a system update pushed to their phone? I have, but for some reason it won't install.

srbianats

Reaction score
Mine just updated just fine. Took about 4 minutes.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

silverfang77

Reaction score
Lucky you. Does the update seem to bring any benefits? Does it allow you to retain root?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

cdf3

Reaction score
I hope they fixed the sporatic menu buttons. They work most of the time, but not all the time as they should.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

srbianats

Reaction score
I just updated about 20 minutes ago and really see no change. Only time will tell. I am not rooted and don't plan to be so I can't comment on the root. I am sure someone else will chime in later.

CnRS

Reaction score
Droid 2 update 4.5.621 breaks root, and blocks all known exploits, which means at the moment you cannot re-root after installing the update. However there is a way to retain root and still get the update.

If you update to 4.5.621 and want to retain root you must install RootKeeper first.

RootKeeper is an app available on Google Play. Simply install, open, and run a backup. Then after installing update 4.5.621 use RootKeeper to restore root permissions.

I can confirm it does work, and for right now at least is the only way to be rooted on Droid 2 system version 4.5.621.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I had frozen them, but I defrosted them before updating. If I list them, can you tell me if I have all the required bloatware?

Amazon Kindle, Backup Assistant, Blockbuster, CarDock, City ID, NFS Shift, Skype Mobile, Swype, VZ Navigator

Thank you.

CnRS

Reaction score
Hmm, that looks like all of them to me. You could try clearing your cache (by powering off and holding power and x buttons).

You might also want to try re-downloading the update. The update should be stored on your SD card, deleting "update.zip" and manually checking for updates again should re-download it.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I just thought of something that might be preventing the update: the Kindle and Blockbuster apps were a few versions outdated. I've updated them and am now downloading RootKeeper.

I'm going to try downloading and installing the update one more time. If that doesn't work, I'll clear the cache and try again.

silverfang77

Reaction score
The update still failed. When I tried powering on while holding down X, all I got was the Android by an exclamation point, no menu or option to clear cache.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

chris215

Reaction score
It appears I am in the same boat, unable to successfully update.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Chris215, are you rooted too? I'm wondering if having root doesn't prevent the update from installing, even with the bloatware present.