System update while rooted?

mikespe

Reaction score
I woke this morning to find a system update message on my D1. I have been rooted for about a month now so I am still learning all things root. Do I have to unroot for this update or is there a work around to be able to update? I used Soup & Root to root my phone. I guess the update improves gmail functionality and some other "improvements".

Thanks for the help! :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
OK...I saw this thread regarding the update and it answered my question. However I did forget to add that I am NOT running a ROM just stock Droid with a Chevy Kernel. I would like to still check out the new Gmail improvements as well as the improved battery life. Anyway to get those extracted from the zip?

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
One more issue...(I wish someone would reply...LOL) I keep getting the update notification for this update even though I tell it to install later. It's getting annoying. Is there a way to turn off the notification...even a hack I could do? thanks

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No way to stop it to my knowledge on stock rooted Frg22d. You can install a stock rooted version on frg83d and that will stop the notification. Ill see if I can find a link for you. From what I've been reading the new OTA update disables your current root. And thus all thing root that go along with it. So easiest way is to do what I stated above. Its very easy to install a rom and you'll maintain your root access.

Update: looks like metickone is looking for the full frg83d update file and as soon as he has it he will have it already rooted and ready to flash and he will have a link in his custom roms section for download.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
No way to stop it to my knowledge on stock rooted Frg22d. You can install a stock rooted version on frg83d and that will stop the notification. Ill see if I can find a link for you. From what I've been reading the new OTA update disables your current root. And thus all thing root that go along with it. So easiest way is to do what I stated above. Its very easy to install a rom and you'll maintain your root access.

Update: looks like metickone is looking for the full frg83d update file and as soon as he has it he will have it already rooted and ready to flash and he will have a link in his custom roms section for download.

Actually I did more digging and found that if you have Clockwork Recovery installed it will stop the install of the update and boot into Clockwork Recovery. I did it and it worked perfectly. You'll get the little Android guy with a yellow exclamation point. Then I think I tapped the power button to go into recovery then rebooted....

Beardface

Reaction score

Actually I did more digging and found that if you have Clockwork Recovery installed it will stop the install of the update and boot into Clockwork Recovery. I did it and it worked perfectly. You'll get the little Android guy with a yellow exclamation point. Then I think I tapped the power button to go into recovery then rebooted....

Yep... thats what happened to me... Phone still working just fine...

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

True, but if you want the updated version, what I posted above is the way to do it and retain root.

Edit: metickone has it now all rooted and deodexed or odexed(stock)

tagg

Reaction score
I am also new to root,been about a week now. I was unsure what to do here too. I am interested in what the update may have to offer. I am just stock rooted w. clockwork. If I do the update will it give me the option of ignoring it or going through w. the update(which will undo root,correct?).I just want to know what I am getting into, I doubt its that big of a deal to figure out. I am still just trying to play it safe w. this whole rooted gig.

warrior21

Reaction score
I am also new to root,been about a week now. I was unsure what to do here too. I am interested in what the update may have to offer. I am just stock rooted w. clockwork. If I do the update will it give me the option of ignoring it or going through w. the update(which will undo root,correct?).I just want to know what I am getting into, I doubt its that big of a deal to figure out. I am still just trying to play it safe w. this whole rooted gig.

You can accept the update but when the phone boots into recovery clockwork will block it. You will not lose root by accepting the update as long as you have a custom recovery installed, which you do.

johnnycool001

Reaction score

You can accept the update but when the phone boots into recovery clockwork will block it. You will not lose root by accepting the update as long as you have a custom recovery installed, which you do.

Im stock with root, had clockwork installed, and a custom back up, it did not boot in recovery, the update installed and broke root.

tagg

Reaction score
warrior...what options will it give me if it boots up in clockwork recovery and what do each do? It has been a week since I have seen that screen, I don't remember. I want to know what I'm gonna do if that happens.
johnnycool...were you able to reroot or did the update prevent it somehow?
I've been hitting "update later" all day, too bad "later" to them means a few minutes...

tagg

Reaction score
I had tried to root w. z4 but it failed so when I rooted about a week ago I had a buddy help me do it the way he did. downloaded a file on his computer (RS Lite? don't hold me to that) and followed some steps off of a youtube video. I wonder if it is more permanent than the z4 method? I am still reluctant to click the update now button, I don't want to go into that blind.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
I want to know what went wrong why my clockwork didn't abort the update and I need to know if I need to delegates the back ups of the SD before I try to reroot the mc1 way

droidemere

Reaction score
I'm interested to know how this turns out..I'm rooted and have Clockwork Recovery..haven't received the update yet..