System Update Available on Rooted Droid - How to Proceed?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by KaosMcRage, Mar 17, 2011.

1. KaosMcRage

KaosMcRage New Member

Hi all,

I have an original Motorola Droid A855. I rooted it, installed SPRecovery, and flashed a P3Droid kernel so I could overclock it with SetCPU. That's all I've done in terms of tweaking it.

This morning, I got the familiar message that there was a system update available and that it had been downloaded and verified and I have a big button to restart and install. I'm currently on FRG83D 2.2.1 (as displayed in my settings menu under "About Phone") and the update is for FRG83G (2.2.2, I assume?). My question is, should I do it? What will happen?

If it won't work, what are my options on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance, any direction is much appreciated.
  2. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Aha! This age old question! Either you can download and install a custom rom onto your phone, or you can change the build.prop file to tell your phone it is the latest build. I suggest you use google as your answer finder also.

What happens with the update is you will FOR SURE, lose root! However if you uninstalled any bloatware on your phone, then the update will fail. I don't think it will brick your phone, but I still don't suggest you try it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. KaosMcRage

KaosMcRage New Member

Thank you for the reply.

I haven't ever installed a custom ROM, nor was I planning to - I like the "stock" setup, aside from a couple tweaks like OC'ing and tethering, for example. If I'm understanding correctly, there's no way to keep "current" with the operating system updates unless you move further away from stock by going with a custom ROM? The only alternative is remaining at Android 2.2.1?

I'm okay with losing root temporarily as I would simply re-root it (assuming there's no issues with that). I haven't completely uninstalled any bloatware, but I have hidden it using Titanium Backup's "Freeze" feature. I believe that simply renames the APK files, so I can always unfreeze before applying the update, I suppose. When you say you don't suggest I try it, do you mean applying the system update PERIOD or just if I've removed/deleted bloatware?

Do you see anything wrong with my thought process on a possible method of proceeding? Unfreeze apps -> Apply Update -> Re-root. Doesn't seem too bad, assuming it works as expected. Let me know if I'm not getting any of this right.

Thanks again!
  4. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

You may find it a little bit more challenging, I'm telling you, custom roms are just the same old setup as stock, you dont have to install a custom theme. and in fact, you could get gingerbread on your phone! thats the latest build for droid phones! its faster, and has longer battery life!
  5. KaosMcRage

KaosMcRage New Member

Doesn't that require a wipe? Or is it possible to install a custom ROM without wiping? I guess I can Google that further.

Thanks.
  6. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

whats the difference if you planned on wiping before the update? sometimes we gotta wipe :p, but theres always backups! like titanium backup, but i recommend you actually dont restore DATA after going from a froyo rom to a gingerbread rom...
  7. KaosMcRage

KaosMcRage New Member

Definitely had no intention of wiping before the update, so... big difference.

I have Titanium Backup. Why on earth would I not want to restore Data? Isn't that pretty much the most important part of the backup? All my settings and app data?
Search tags for this page
haypi kingdom hack apk
how do you update a rooted droid charge
how to install an update on a rooted droid
how to install system update on rooted phone
how to update my rooted droid dna without losing anything
rooted android system update available

rooted droid charge wont system update

rooted phone download original update for phone
should i install updates on rooted droid
system update availiable root
upgrade android os on rooted machine
will updating android version brick my rooted system?