/system directory almost full after reset?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by prm.cs1, Jul 1, 2011.

1. prm.cs1

prm.cs1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, what is in the /system directory?

I recently reset my original Droid to factory state (power + x, etc.), and the directory is full out of the box. Here is 'df' output on terminal emulator:

/system: 143744K total, 128984K used, 14760K available (block size 4096)

I get permission errors when I try to ls, and i'd rather not root if I don't have to. Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +22
    If you aren't rooted you don't need to worry about the /system partition being full or not. By default (unrooted) you don't have permissions to write or modify anything in there. Also it being full doesn't matter, since the phone doesn't ever use that partition unless you are running an update, or you are rooted and you manually do something to it. There could be 0 space left there, and the phone should run properly.

Side note, your /system partition shouldn't have been touched with your factory reset either, so you should have had the same space before and after your reset.

The /system partition is where almost everything that came on your phone out of the box goes. Stock apps, ringtones, bootanimations, and tons of other files will be here. Basically everything necessary for the phone to operate is there. To the rooted folks, this is where most of the fun stuff occurs (ROMs, themes, some tweaks...).
Search tags for this page
/system almost full
/system almost full android
/system partition size droid inc
android system directory full

android system partition full

droid razr system partition size
full system directory android
galaxy nexus system partition full