System apps

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by metalspring, May 28, 2011.

1. metalspring

metalspring New Member

So what exactly can you remove as system apps? Obviously the ones Chevy includes the scripts for but I know I also get rid of voice dialer for one, what about the livewallpaper apps if you never use live wallpaper? Btw I tried my first experiment in unzipping the rom file and removing those apps and the ringtones and notifications (I use my own) and also the bootanimation and rezipping it then flashing it to some success (bootanimation came back as a basic simply stunning logo) I actually made the 95mb+ zip into about 68mb, so will everything still run ok now?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

You can use "Root Uninstaller" from the Market (Free) to get rid of system apps. Let me warn though, this uninstaller doesn't uninstall the app really, it deletes the .apk from /system/apps. Once it does that, you can't get the apk back unless you reflash the ROM. I use this app all the time to get rid of all the excess home launchers and the books app and stuff like that and it's pretty awesome, fast too!

Now to your question about your ROM. I honestly have no idea if it will still work. If you removed almost 30mb worth of stuff than I'm guessing no because to remove that much from the ROM you had to have deleted stuff that makes the ROM function. All you can do is flash it and see, maybe you can get someone with a non-activated OG Droid to test it for you? You can't just simply "rezip" the ROM though, it has to be "signed." If it's not properly signed then it won't flash right and could possibly soft brick your phone so be cautious!
  3. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Well I usually just use titanium backup to just remove most of that stuff, just not sure on some of the ones you DON'T wanna remove

And oddly enough I went through and figured out that the huge difference in size really was just the regular system and data apps I remove anyway along with all the stock ringtones and notification sounds...crazy to think all that "useless" stuff takes so much space...and also oddly enough my edited rom installed just fine (maybe only the Meta files or boot file needs signed and unzipping and rezipping everything else doesn't effect the signed part) the only problem I ran across was that it slowed down and a little more buggy than usual so I just reflashed the original rom zip anyway...maybe removing the apps before flashing made the install process a little unstable, too many attempted installs of apps that weren't there?

At any rate it served my purpose- a quick fix flash until I had more time to do it right lol

4. metalspring

metalspring New Member

I moved all of the notification sounds, ringtones, and system and data apps into one file and here is the size of it unzipped [​IMG]

5. undroid

undroid New Member

i use adb to uninstall system apps.

$ adb shell
    # pm list packages (copy output to a text file)
    # sysrw
    # cd /system/apps
    # rm apk-you-want-to-remove.apk
    # pm uninstall package-corresponding-to-apk
    # sync
    # sysro
    # exit

i do not see a need to reboot with these instructions.
  6. -iD

-iD New Member

If u use 7zip and just delete them from viewing the zip ( rather than extracting, deleting and rezipping) you will not mess up the signature.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. metalspring

metalspring New Member

I think I found out where the signed part is, its in the META-INF file, so if you leave that alone I think you should be ok...however I think I removed so many apps and ringtones that it got "confused" when I flashed the rom...too many things it tried to install that weren't there