Syncing to Outlook

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by yellowlab66, Apr 14, 2010.

1. yellowlab66

yellowlab66 New Member

Friends-

I have done a little searching on this forum and I hope I will not be disappointed with my device.

What is the current state of syncing with MS Outlook? I just don't get it. Motorola and Verizon put so much effort into a device and it won't do what I think a Razor will do?

I have purchased Enterprise Touchdown and still can't get it to work.
  2. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

I have not worked with touchdown but I have seen a few threads on it. I sync my personal outlook thru a program called "gSyncIt" which you purchase the software online download to your laptop / computer and configure it to sync with your Gmail account...it syncs everything both ways (calendar, contacts, etc.) The whole kicker is you have to have the Gmail account but it works for me. There are so many possibilities that I hope you find what best suits you.
  3. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

4. great2bcool

great2bcool New Member

Hi all,

i am using a standalone laptop & outlook without exchange server, this is what i do to synchronize my contacts (about 2700 contacts, without any 3rd party application) with Droid:

1. export outlook contacts to CSV file
    2. upload to Gmail contact
    3. synchronize Droid with Gmail contact
    4. Done!

for new/update in outlook, just export the contacts to CSV file again & do the upload again, the Gmail contact will merge or update new contacts accordingly.

hope this will help.
  5. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Thanks, great2bcool, and welcome to the forum! :D
  6. Booch_21

Booch_21 New Member

The answer depends on what kind of setup you are using and are looking for. Are you wanting to sync a standalone Outlook on a single computer by USB? Are you wanting to sync Outlook from an Exchange server? Do you want to use GMail as the conduit for e-mail, calendar and contacts or not?

I do not want my contacts going to GMail so I use CompanionLink.

CompanionLink Software - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

There are a number of options depending on how you wish your setup to work. A true Microsoft ActiveSync type of sync is not available, so that one is out. There may be a good solution for your needs.
  7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

This is exactly what my wife did and it's spelled out how to do it in the gmail instructions on how to move your contacts to gmail from outlook. When I asked her how she did it she looked at me surprised and said, "I followed the instructions."

Remember, gmail, google, Droid. All one thing. I don't understand the need for any third party devices.
  8. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Touchdown is an Exchange client. It is not designed for syncing with Outlook. If you use Outlook with Exchange and Touchdown with Exchange you're essentially syncing with Outlook but Touchdown does not directly sync with Outlook itself.

The Droid doesn't have infinite capabilities out of the box. There are certainly things that my Blackberry did that my Droid doesn't (stock). That said, I'm certainly not going back to my BB. YMMV, of course, but I'm guessing that on the whole the Droid still does far more than your RAZR ever could.

Outlook sync is a current weak point it seems. There are some solutions mentioned above. However, in scanning the various Outlook sync threads I have yet to see a solution that everyone has really been excited about and happy with.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  9. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Surprised? But we're guys, we don't need instructions!
  10. yellowlab66

yellowlab66 New Member

Friends-

Thank you for your comments. I do want to Sync to MS Exchange and not a stand alone MS Outlook.

By the way, I am a recovering Blackberry user.

Thanks in advance.
  11. napa

napa New Member

sync

1 more possibility is to sync your Outlook calendar/contacts with Google (gmail) using Sync2. it works both ways and is compatible with exchange
  12. PARick

PARick New Member

Try K-9

I am a former BB user as well, and had the Enterprise Package. I use k 9, since my company supports imap as well. So far, it has worked flawlessly! My calendar is synced through Googloe, and that works great as well. In fact, I often times receive my emails on my Droid 20-30 seconds before in my Outlook. Hope that helps!
  13. dylanthecat

dylanthecat New Member

I am using Touchdown syncing to Exchange and it works perfect. Email, calendar, contacts, and tasks. I am happy to try to help if you provide more info on what is happening. Yellow labs are my favorite.
  14. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I just picked up an Eris yesterday after using an older Smartphone for years and hoped/understood from the salespeople that synching would be easier than it seems based on this thread.

Does Google have a product similar to Outlook (email, calendar, contacts, and tasks)? Does it make sense to get this Google product onto my laptop, convert from Outlook to Google, and then sync my phone?

Thanks!
    Chris
  15. PARick

PARick New Member

It is seamless

just download google's calendar sync, and configure it to sync with your outlook calendar. It will automatically do a both way sync. It works just as well as Corporate Calendar with the exception it only syncs when the computer is on. I am very pleased. Oh, you have to sync it through your google account.
  16. image911

image911 New Member

Outlook Syncing Programs for my Droid

Greetings. Like many of you that migrated from a previously "seamless" Windows/ActiveSync experience, I have lamented the ultimate missing app - and have searched for a means to sync my Outlook files to and from my handy device. Rather than list those that I have tried out... I'll simply say that CompanionLink is the BEST on the market (for now) and does a smooth and simple transition of data - either via USB connection, or wirelessly - directly to Gmail (by way of their two separate software programs). For my money, the $39 was well worth the investment!
  17. prode

prode New Member

you should try Sync2. it also syncs Outlook calendar/contacts both ways. it is also possible to use the program to sync Outlook data between multiple PCs
Search tags for this page

two outlook contact files, one won't sync with exchange