Syncing notification constantly on

becca474

Reaction score
It seems as though my Droid is constantly syncing - and I have no idea why. I have not changed any sync settings since the first day I got the phone. I did upgrade when those were pushed out and everything seems fine. But all of a sudden starting yesterday the sync icon in my notification bar will not go away. Already tried restarting. Any other suggestions?

Silver Member
Reaction score
are you using the dfault email client on a set interval to sync your accounts? this is why i've stopped using that client and only use gmail to check my pop accounts.s

OP
B

becca474

Reaction score
Yes I use the gmail app. I've never had an issue with it syncing too much until now. Its killing my battery so quickly which is not fun. Is there a way to xhange the frequency of the syncing? Is there a way to find out what other apps could be causing the constant syncing?

Silver Member
Reaction score
but are you using ONLY the gmail app? there's no update frequency to be set with that. are you checking hotmail, yahoo or anything else with the other email client?

OP
B

becca474

Reaction score
yes I'm only using the gmail app - I've never even gone into the other email application.

OP
B

becca474

Reaction score
and if it provides more info - the only thing I have the droid syncing with in the syncing settings is gmail - I don't have it syncing with facebook

fjhiii

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with Corp Email and it was resolved when I removed the account, restarted the phone, then reinstalled the account.

Just an idea, couldn't hurt to try.

OP
B

becca474

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with Corp Email and it was resolved when I removed the account, restarted the phone, then reinstalled the account.

I'll give it a shot. I assume as long as my contacts have been synched recently with GMail I won't loose them by deleting the account?

fjhiii

Reaction score

I'll give it a shot. I assume as long as my contacts have been synched recently with GMail I won't loose them by deleting the account?

go online and double check the contacts if you are concerned. Removing your google account from your phone will not delete information stored online (ie, contacts, emails, etc)

OP
B

becca474

Reaction score

go online and double check the contacts if you are concerned. Removing your google account from your phone will not delete information stored online (ie, contacts, emails, etc)

I tried to delete my gmail account and it said that in order to do it I have to do a factory reset, I assume since everything is connected to your google account - including apps... I'm not quite to that point of frustration (yet).

Silver Member
Reaction score
the only thing that you'll "lose" is your system customizations like icon and widget placement, ringtone and notification settings, search settings and a few others.

what will be restored (provided you allowed google to backup your settings) are your wallpaper, all downloaded and installed apps, gmail, contacts and calendar.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think only paid apps get restored and you have to find your free apps again.
all downloaded and installed apps will be restored if you told google to backup your settings. i have performed enough factory resets/handset swaps to prove this.

if you told google to not backup your settings, all of your paid apps will still be listed as "Purchased" but will not be installed.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think only paid apps get restored and you have to find your free apps again.
all downloaded and installed apps will be restored if you told google to backup your settings. i have performed enough factory resets/handset swaps to prove this.

if you told google to not backup your settings, all of your paid apps will still be listed as "Purchased" but will not be installed.

Where would one check to confirm that this setting is enabled?... just in case :)