Sync'ing Contacts with Google

NashvilleKit

Reaction score
Several people have suggested that I sync my contacts with Google. OK, how exactly do I do this? People have said, sign on to google and it's all automatic.

First of all, I'd like some verification that my Contacts have been sync'ed before I shut down my existing phone and fire up a new one. I cannot find where -- with my phone -- that I can view my Contacts on Google's website. When I go from my PC, I can clearly see in GMail that my phone Contacts are NOT there at all.

Second, with the Gmail app on the phone, I cannot find where you can view and manage Contacts like you can on the PC view.

Help .. anyone? How do I do this sync procedure? What am I missing?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Go settings -accounts. Tap on the Google account and you should find the options there to sync contacts. If there isn't an error they should be synced. The Contacts app or a suitable replacement manager is the primary place to find the contacts. The Android version of G-Mail; doesn't work like the WEB version. Also in the contacts app tap the menu key and make certain "contacts to display" is set to your preference.

OP
NashvilleKit

NashvilleKit

Reaction score
My solution for anyone interested

Someone finally told me about a method that worked for me. My problem was I had 250+ contacts and only 4 or 5 had Google's G next to them. I hadn't known about entering them as Google type accounts.

So I did the "Export to the SD card" on the phone (Contacts>Menu>ImportExport>Export to SD Card)
and you get one huge vcf file in an SD folder called external_sd. With a USB-tether, copy it over somewhere on your computer. Then go to GMail on your 'puter, pull down the menu from Gmail, select Contacts, Then select Import Contacts. Navigate to wherever you copied the vcf file and Boom. They're now all in Gmail ready for SYNC.

Since I had been messing around a lot, I did some cleanup in GMail (deleting dupes, merging some, etc.) before I sync them over to my new phone.

Another helpful soul somewhere said you can go to Contacts and use the Menu key to select Merge and merge all (or selected) Contacts with Google. However, my ancient Android version on my old phone doesn't have that function, so good luck to those who do.