Syncing contacts with facebook (pictures and names)

lalala11

Reaction score
I have the social networking app and the facebook for android app set up and I have a few questions:

1) For some reason my contact pictures don't update to someone's new facebook picture - it maintains the one from when I first set up the phone. In "my accounts" and in the facebook app, there seems to be no way to force it to sync. Is there any way to get this to update?

2) When I link a phone contact with a facebook contact, for half the people it uses their phone contact name that I input, but for the other half it uses their facebook name. I want it to always use their phone contact name. I have tried both linking from the phone contact to the facebook contact and from the facebook contact to the phone contact, but it seems that for these people it only wants to use their facebook name. Is there any way to change this?

3) How long does it take for my contacts list to reflect new facebook friends, and is there any way to sync manually?

RevivaL

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing for the first question, I just noticed it today.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
L

lalala11

Reaction score
Figured out question 3?

I think I figured out question 3 on my own. I went to the new friend's FB profile in the FB app and he appeared immediately in my contacts list. I haven't had a new friend aside from that one recently, so I can't tell you for sure if that's it, but anyone else having this problem could try it and get back to us.

Update: Just got a new Facebook friend. Tested out my theory. No dice. :( Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

vinsomething

Reaction score
Droid2 Global here.....

1) Same here. Status updates seem to sync. Only way I've found to fix it is to logout/disassociate Facebook account from phone and redo setup. This messes up with my linked contacts, etc. so it's not a viable solution for me.

2) Same here. Seems to be a well known bug. I've seemed to isolate it to it choosing whatever name comes last alphabetically.

alexandru

Reaction score
2) Same here. Seems to be a well known bug. I've seemed to isolate it to it choosing whatever name comes last alphabetically.

OH NO, COME ON!! Is that really true??

I mean, they put all this effort into linking and synching different contact sources, and then just forgot to code a few lines that allow you to choose what name actionally appears in your list??

This is supid. Windows Mobile stupid. Symbian stupid. I am seriously pissed off..

I just realized that problem on my new Flipout.. Isn't there a tool/workaround??

nfe522

Reaction score
1.) I would really like to know how to fix this as well. i have even logged out of the facebook app, logged onto a different account, and logged back into mine and the issue was not fixed.

2.) When you like them, make sure that the original contact on your list has both a first and last name. If it only has a first name, or for some reason they are both in the first name category, then it will go the facebook name. Make sure there is something under the last name category also.

coolbreeze28

Reaction score
I have the same proble on the Droid 2, only 3 of my contacts pictures shows from FB. I can't seem to get all of them to sync but if you go to that contact it shows their facebook info

bulldogc

Reaction score
Ditto with my droid 2, FB pics and even their info that gets imported to the contact list doesnt actualy update. I even called verizon tech support and the guy kept saying go into the account settings click facebook and click force update dispite me saying that option doesnt exist in that menu.

I can disassociate the FB account on my phone then readd it and it will import eveything correctly but there is no way im going to keep doing that. I find it very hard to beleive no one has an answer to this issue yet.....

VinnyWags

Reaction score
ok so I can see that pretty much everyone is having the same issue. I have searched and searched for a fix for this issue.

The problem is that when you associate your FB account it downloads all your contact photos...once....this issue has nothing to do with the FB application from the market.....the problem comes from our phones themselves.

The only solution that I can come up with is to remove your FB account from your Droid.....doesn't matter if you have the FB Market app or not.....once your account has been removed.....add it again....your Droid will refresh everyone this way.....unfortunately you will have to re-link any of your contacts....its a total pain in the hind quarters .....I can't believe that an auto update option hasn't been included.....

really??? I can play games....tweet...FB....get realtime gps location updates and directions....all while accessing the entire internet.....not to mention automatically updating all my apps from the market....but....I can't keep my contact pictures current.... makes sense to me

PS. attn app devs ......make an app to keep my contact photos updated and I will buy it!

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Last edited:

seg_representin

Reaction score
There is an app that keeps your contacts current. I have the same problem with my profile pics not staying current. SyncMyPix. Mess with the settings how you like them and your good to go.

OP
L

lalala11

Reaction score
There is an app that keeps your contacts current. I have the same problem with my profile pics not staying current. SyncMyPix. Mess with the settings how you like them and your good to go.

SyncMyPix worked once on my phone and then never worked again.

If you offer FB pic integration as part of the basic functioning of the phone, it should work continuously. End of story.

fireman00

Reaction score
I clicked the menu button/ Settings/ Accounts/ Added Facebook (if its there remove it then re-add it), Click menu/ Picture Source/ Choose Facebook. Perform a synch. It seemed to take about 10 minutes before all my Facebook contact pictures showed up.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I clicked the menu button/ Settings/ Accounts/ Added Facebook (if its there remove it then re-add it), Click menu/ Picture Source/ Choose Facebook. Perform a synch. It seemed to take about 10 minutes before all my Facebook contact pictures showed up.

Yeah, but it should re-sync and update pictures on it's own without having to remove and then add the account again. As things are now, it grabs pictures the first time you set up the account, but then it never updates them. My original Droid updated the pictures without any problems.