Sync with Outlook?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by wshaw, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pilot25

pilot25 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I was worried about syncing with outlook too. However, I set up google calendars for the first time in addition to gmail and am ready to cut the chord from Microlost.

It's going to be a change and a rough one after 7 years but it's time for a change.

2. Leckert123

Leckert123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I may not be a Microsoft fan either, but at least they don't have my personal data. Definitely not going to be sharing my contacts and calendar with Google, whose pursuit of all possible data in order to re-sell it is ultimately far more frightening.

You might be amazed at how much info about you they have already amassed. Check out Google Dashboard. I never told them, but they know my exact age and gender. Freaky Big Brother stuff.

3. ebean

ebean Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i posted this as a separate post but this is an email i got about missing sync tonite:

<<
    Hello,

You're receiving this email because you asked to be notified about The Missing Sync for Android - and we have an update.

We now have Windows PC and Mac Beta versions of The Missing Sync for Android available to download and try from our testing web page: Mark/Space, Inc. Beta and Preview Software.

They have all of the media features, and 1-way contacts sync. Over time we'll release additional previews, starting with 2-way contacts sync, and then the other features we have listed such as notes and tasks sync during November.

Kind regards,

Jackie Macapanpan
    Mark/Space, Inc.>>

4. mrpush

mrpush Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Leckert,

You guys are completely missing the point with snyc here. On my 4 year old XV6700, I sync ALL OUTLOOK BUSINESS DATA (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes) with my phone WIRELESSLY!!!!

I don't have to dock it, plug it, cord it, tether it.

I DO NOT HAVE EXHANGE SERVER, only OUTLOOK 2003 on my desktop.

If I add or edit any of the 4 main bussiness data items above, in around 10-15 seconds, the changes are PUSHED to my phone or my Desktop Outlook.

Why in the world would I want to plug my device into my pc to sync? That is stuff of the olden days!

They have gone BACKWARDS here. I can now DO LESS with my new DROID smartphone!!!

That is not SMART at all!

My point re-iterated, these people don't have a clue.

I waited 4 years for a good round about smart phone, and what I got is a great browser, widgets, music player, smart phone that CAN'T GIVE ME ALL MY BUSINESS DATA WITHOUT PLUGGING THE DARN THING INTO MY PC????

Def MORON: a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

Should I have to pay additional fees or have to wait till some 3rd party app or service is developed to get all my business data to push sync wirelessly on a new smartphone?

I rest my case.

MP

5. Leckert123

Leckert123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow...nice tirade. There is no need to be hostile towards me or anyone else here. Referring to people as morons, even as passively aggressive as you did above, is not a nice way to make friends on any forum.

I've got news for you MrPush..the iPhone doesn't sync wirelessly either unless you buy a 3rd party application or are running Exchange. If you want a Droid to sync wirelessly to your PC, then you will likely have to use a 3rd party application CompanionLink to do it via Google.

6. mrpush

mrpush Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

forgot to tell you, while at store, they said I might be able to get sync with TOUCHDOWN from softpedia. But, after I looked it up, it only works with MS EXCHANGE 2007. AND, it does NOT do notes and maybe even tasks as well.

Nice try, NO GOOD VERIZON.

I have a smartphone that is not very smart.

MP

7. mrpush

mrpush Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Leckert,

I have no intent to really being mean here......The word I used simply has a definition that logically fits the situation based on MY circumstances.

I have a 4 year old xv6700 from Verizon that syncs ALL my Outlook 2003 stuff without Exchange server.

I now have a brand new Smartphone that will not do what a device 4 year old can do?

I believe this is "lacking in good judgement" on the part of Verizon and Android.

I'm not trying to personally call anyone names here. The phone is great other than being able to use if for my business data.

Thanks,

MP

8. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Let's be clear here. You have a four year old phone running a Microsoft operating system running Microsoft apps which syncs very nicely to other Microsoft apps.

You have a new phone running a Google Operating system that syncs very nicely with Google applications.

It also syncs very nicely with Corporate Microsoft servers, which is a nice bonus.

The struggle people are having is syncing a Desktop Microsoft app with a Google device. Although Google has provided some tools for parts of this, Microsoft is unlikely to since they consider Google to be a mortal enemy.

Thal leaves 3rd parties to fill the gap.

Companionlink is good, but not free. There are a few free apps that can do pieces of the puzzle, and we will likely see many more now that the user and developer community for Android probably doubled in the past 12 hours.

I also woudl not be surprised if Verizon expands their Wireless Sync program to support the Android if sales go well (and all indications are they are doing fantastic today).

Alan

9. mrpush

mrpush Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,

I do understand your logic on the apps and apps providers.

However, Google knows that there are probably millions people who use Outlook to sync business data on their phones that MUST use outlook in business situations.

Seems they provided for Exchange Server so they are interested in giving access to this MS mortal enemy?

So what about the maybe millions of users who DONT use Exchange and want all their Outlook business data?

It's like getting a new car and not having wipers or headlights available.

As an end user, I see it as Verizons fault. I have a smartphone of theirs that is 4 years old, I now have a NEW smart phone that does half of what the old one does with business data.

I'm not concerned about what OS and who provides apps, that thing needs to give me ALL my business data OUT OF THE BOX, just like the the old one did. If it does not, then Verizon messed up and lots of people are going to not come on board the DRIOD.

It's poor planning, nothing more.

Thanks,

MP

10. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. There are solutions available if you want them. Really good ones for not much money, or a hodgepodge for free. Rather then typing it out again, see this post and the next one for a couple of choices solutions: Expect a review tonight, 11/5/09 - PDAPhoneHome.com

There are also really good Windows Mobile phones you could upgrade to instead where this is simoly not an issue. TP2 and Imagio are great. Samsung Omnia 2 is due soon and is supposed to have an even better screen then the Droid.

Alan

11. mrpush

mrpush Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,

Yes, we can agree to disagree.

You say there are good one, but I have found nothing yet, that is not piece-mail or only does half of what you want.

I will check you link.

The problem is that consumers stand for half-backed devices, so that is what we get.

This is from another post:

<<Lets say you bought a car from Dodge 4 years ago. It had wipers and headlights "out of the box".

You goto Dodge today and buy a new car. It does not offer headlights or wipers.

Do you really care that although Dodge sells the car, that it was made by another company in China?

You want AT LEAST the features that you had before, no matter who designed the car or who actually made it, right?

Would Dodge sell any cars that did not have wipers and headlights?

No, Dodge has better judgment than that and they would plan for all envolved, not matter who it is, that if they are goin to sell the cars they need to make sure they have these options.

Its really just BAD design and planning.>>

I will surely post here if I come across a great solution.

Thanks,

MP

12. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +1

CompainionLink. Sync Microsoft Outlook with your Google account and your phone | CompanionLink

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
droid outlook sync
droid sync with outlook
motorola droid 2 sync with outlook
motorola media link outlook contacts
outlook contacts not syncing with droid
outlook for droid
outlook for droid --site:facebook.com -site:answers.com -sit
sync outlook contacts with droid