1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Sync with Outlook?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by wshaw, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wshaw

wshaw New Member

Will the VZ Droid be able to sync with Outlook for calendar and contacts right out of the box? If not, is there some other software available to make it happen? Deal breaker I'm sure for more than just me.
  2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Everything that I've read says it will work out of the box.
  3. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

4. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah same here. Everything i've read about the support for exchange is that it's a right out of the box feature.
  5. bearlaw1968

bearlaw1968 New Member

what about standalone Outlook? Contacts, Notes & Tasks

I can use the Google calendar synch and pop configuration on a Droid phone to get the calendar and email I want, but it is absolutely a dealbreaker if I don't have a sync of my contacts from a Standalone Outlook as I'm not going to do double entry. I can't ascertain from the above if you guys are certain or not whether the sync out of the box works with a non-Exchange Outlook setup. If anyone can tell me, I'd be most appreciative as I may go another route (i.e., Windows Mobile) with my next phone if that is the case.

I'm also hoping that I don't have to buy extra software to sync my tasks and notes, which the iDon't never got right.
  6. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I'm wondering also, just as a thought, how the phone will look when you connect it to the computer. If there might be a place where it stores contacts that you could possible drop in a contacts list from outlook also. (not saying it won't sync or anything just wondering as a thought was all)
  7. ebean

ebean New Member

i've been doing some research into this. i am also a standalone...won't put my personal calendar on my company's exchange. big believer in privacy.
    i did install the google calendar sync and it DIDN'T WORK...so i deleted the google calendar and uninstalled the sync software.
    if there isn't a solution out of the box, i'm intending to use companionlink. (www.companionlink.com) it is well-regarded and i spoke to them by phone today - to a tech guy - and it's a 2 way sync that can be tweaked as much or as little as you like.

the sad part for me is that google has no solution for 'notes' from outlook. i converted my palm memos (and i had a highly organized system of memos in many categories) and i'm wondering how to make them a part of my new droid. but with a theoretical 10k applications, i'm predicting that someone will have figured it out.

does anyone know if i'll be able to have an app. to get onto my aol email without going to gmail?

bean
  8. moshek258

moshek258 New Member

I also sync from a Palm to standalone Outlook and this looks to me like a huge FAIL on the part of the Android OS :(

The idea is to keep private information PRIVATE; out of the "cloud". Syncing via Google defeats this and is a deal breaker for me. Palm and BB have supported standalone outlook syncing for years!

Well it may be time to look at the storm again...sigh....

Please please fix this soon!
  9. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

10. moshek258

moshek258 New Member

Thank you. I am going to contact the company today as I do not see a link to download and/or purchase the product. I will post an update once i talk to them.
  11. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

12. dean.collins

dean.collins New Member

I also agree keeping my data out of the cloud is my one reason i may not purchase the droid.

get with it android.... if iPhone can then surely Android iCan??
  13. moshek258

moshek258 New Member

The HTC Hero (also android based) appears to offer a direct Outlook sync client....sigh..... but is not being sold by Verizon.....double sigh...
  14. Leckert123

Leckert123 New Member

I spoke with the Wave Global UK office yesterday. The download pages are not working at the moment. They also informed me that the products will be available in December for syncing to Outlook and Lotus Notes. The lady I spoke with told me that they are going to launch a separate website for the MyLink products and she will email me with the info once it is available.
  15. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Thanks for the updated. I'm sure that if nothing else has come out before then, or if it's better then most, people will jump all over it.
  16. Leckert123

Leckert123 New Member

Also, I finally got a reply today from MarkSpace on their Missing Sync for Android. It took 5 days for a response and you cannot reach them by phone....hmmm...

Anyhow, the beta can be downloaded here Mark/Space, Inc. Beta and Preview Software

NOTE - READ KNOWN ISSUES - the Beta has a one-way sync with Outlook. Outlook will write over anything in your phone, which initially seems like a good way to load your phone. However, the 1-way sync seems like a terrible thing if you add a contact directly to your phone and then sync...poof...new contact is gone. That'd suck. I'm not going to bother with their Beta until 2-way sync arrives.

CompanionLink also emailed me back..their only sync options must go thru Google's cloud. Nothing available to sync directly between your Android device and your PC.
  17. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Yeah so far the best option looks like Wave Global, and you can download the trial of it, unless that is broken. Would be a great way to test it's capabilities. Thanks again for the update.
  18. ebean

ebean New Member

uninterested in a 1 way synch. lethal. hoping for missing sync or that wave company...please let us know if you find out first.
  19. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

i'm just going to let it ride. as soon as two way sync is available. I'll go back to that. Until then it's not a deal breaker for me
  20. mrpush

mrpush New Member

Droid Half synced ?!?!

I am seriously hoping you guys are wrong on this. If the Driod only does half-sync, like Calendars and contacts, then I have to seriously vent here.

TONS of people use Outlook. They use the main features, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes.

If this phone does not wireless sync, from standalone OUTLOOK with Wireless sync installed from a PC, then these phone developers (Android), and Verizon, are complete morons.

I don't like saying that about anyone, but my 7 year old could conclude that if 4 things are available now for syncing, then you can't take away 2 on the new one!!!! You are going backwards, not forwards!

If I (and thousands of other users) are used to getting ALL primary Outlook data, why would you have new smart phones that only do half of this?

The people here on this fourm could do better than these folks in designing software!

I think the problem is that it takes a geek to do software development. Most geeks do not have much common sense when it comes to the big picture.

If Outlook tasks and notes are missing from this phone, that has had more publicity than any other I have seen from verizon, then there is no common sense here, end of story.

Can someone please monitor the geeks designing these phones and software and make sure they are on track!

I KNOW I'm not the only one who looks at all these different technologies, and what they LACK, that does not believe that they could have done better designing them themsleves....this is poor design.

It would be like the new Camero coming out and Power windows and door locks are not an option! Give me a break! Someone needs repremanded!

Vent over!

Thanks!

MP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
droid contacts not syncing with putlook
droid outlook sync
droid sync with outlook
how to link outlook to droid
link outlook2010 to verizon droid
motorola droid 2 sync with outlook