Sync Stuck and Draining Battery Bigtime

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Chief Wahoo, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Chief Wahoo

Chief Wahoo Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently updated to 0.6.2 (from 0.5) and the update went well, but I immediately noticed that the sync notification was always present and the battery life has been less than I had expected.

My search came back with this being a common problem (primarily from posts about a year ago) and I have tried turning off the Auto-sync (in Settings>Accounts & sync but the sync symbol still appears in the notification panel. The posts from a year or so ago indicated that the Android System was running at a very high percentage, but mine is running at 17% and the Android OS is at 12% and that was the culprit in draining the battery.

Has anyone else seen this recently? I am at a loss and don't know if it is something BB related or app related, but aside from restoring the same apps that I had on 0.5, I don't recall any settings that would have been sync oriented. The BB0.6.2 is very slick and I don't want to go back to 0.5, but 6 hour battery life is not going to work for me.

Any ideas or areas to check would be appreciated. Would it be worthwhile to reflash 0.6.2 (wipe and the whole 9)?

2. alwerner

alwerner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Since you upgraded from v5 to v6, I'm assuming you did a wipe. My guess is that because of this you are experiencing the resync with all of your contacts, calendars, etc. I would give it a day or two to see if the sync's stop.

My first day had a lot of syncing but after that, battery has gotten better.

3. Chief Wahoo

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I ended up reflashing the ROM and was much more watchful in terms of the apps that I restored from Titanium Backup and I haven't seen the sync symbol show up, but then again, I haven't accessed gmail yet, which would kick off a sync function (I believe). . . so I will be patient and see if the battery stabilizes after a couple of days. What is interesting is that of the various gmail options (picasa, calendar, contacts and gmail), I only use gmail, so I may just go in and deselect the other sync options to minimize the variables that could cause the sync to get stuck. Just saying.

Thank you for your response.

4. psiuglen

psiuglen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if it's related but the Email program has been killing my battery. This morning I got up, unplugged, about an hour later I was down to 90%. Checking the battery usage, Email had CPU active for around 30 minutes...I have one hotmail and one yahoo account on there! Going to try to track it some more this weekend.

In fact, under Battery History, All Time, Partial Wake usage, it leads at close to 50%. Hmmm....

5. Chief Wahoo

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting to read the post on email being a potential culprit - I had not used the email app previously, but set it up over the last couple days and then upgraded to BB0.6.2. . .

I didn't notice the sync notification for a couple of hours today and the battery seemed to be doing a bit better, then I received a few emails (that are linked to the email app) and the next thing I knew my battery dropped from like 76% to 39%.

I guess I will reflash (the third time) the BB0.6.2 and not set up email and see if I still get the sync notification sticking. . . and will update with results shortly.

If it is email (and I am linking to a comcast email box, in case anyone else is Comcast and has experienced a similar issue), I wonder what else I can do with that email account.

Search tags for this page
comcast email battery drain
comcast email stuck syncing
comcast email sync killing battery
droid stuck in sync
gmail on android quit stuck in syncing

maildroid battery drain

motorola droid sync stuck on
stuck email draining android battery

sync gmail android stuck

you mail icon on droid killing battery