Sync Outlook notes with Droid

OP
dylanthecat

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I am gonna bump this once since I thougt this was fairly important. Maybe no one else does, but bump anyway.

pjensen

Reaction score
This product is 100%. First one I have seen to actually do what it is suppose to do directly. Very simple.

mrpush

Reaction score
I don't understand....

Why do people want to have to plug in there devices to their PC's to sync stuff?

With a 4 year old phone, I could wirelessly sync everything to/from my PC, without using exchange server.

Don't you guys prefer wireless? It is so much better.

I have been waiting for an app to sync all MS outlook stuff in one package, the does NOT use Google cloud.

Have yet to see one....anybody knowof one yet?

Very dissappoiting.

MP

dro0g

Reaction score
I have been waiting for an app to sync all MS outlook stuff in one package, the does NOT use Google cloud.

Very dissappoiting.

MP

Yes, it's called Exchange :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why do people want to have to plug in there devices to their PC's to sync stuff?
I don't recall anyone here saying that they specifically wanted USB sync. Re-read the OP:

It is a USB snyc not OTA, but I now have my notes synced on my Droid!

That indicates that he's settling since he hasn't found an OTA alternative.

Ok. How do you sync notes in your Exchange account OTA? The stock app only syncs email, contacts and calendar from what I can tell.

Last edited:

Geodroid

Reaction score

Very dissappoiting.

MP

Some of us run Outlook at home and use USB to sync our phones Einstein.

Bill in S.G.

mrpush

Reaction score
Forums people,

I think maybe I missed that original title part.

If you want to go spend, um, a couple grand on Exchange server, go ahead!

My oppinion on usb sync is that it is pretty much prehistoric.....a sync is only a point in time snapshot.

Why would we want to do that when I can make a change in one place and in a minute or two my data is updated on phone and web?

Its like putting your car in the garage and taking out your bike to ride to work.

The DRIOD is a complete failure off the shelf in this aspect. I gathered that is it Google fault, but Verizon should have forced the issues.

Months later I still cannot find a complete solution to simple NON-EXCHANGE outlook sync of calendar, contact, notes, and tasks that I could do on a much older smart phone.

Yes, I have seen Campanion link, gsyncit, etc. But who want to sync tasks to a calendar or have to use differnt apps? It's not a complete solution, and they all go to the google cloud which nobody trusts, its using duct tape.....

I just don't understand how they missed this popular usage of phones and outlook. (please don't say google is not MS so why would they, I might get sick)

Hey google, get it together, open up your tasks code, or create a complete solution for this.....

The problem is that OTA sync needs to have a 3rd copy "somewhere" on a 3rd party server....so maybe I'm being picky about my data on Google?

The options are just lame in my oppinon, I'd rather eat dancing bannans.

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana: yum!

Thanks,

MP

lmapp

Reaction score
I know it's a cloud thing (which I have come to love), but I wish Google hand not abandoned their Notes project. That's really the biggest thing that they are missing in terms of syncing with Outlook.

mrpush

Reaction score
I agree with you on the notes. I'm not sure how others manage all the little tib bits of information they collect everyday, like items to get, ideas, to do, etc, but I always found it easiest to just use notes in outlook.

Little notes, synced very fast, easily searched, not filling up your inbox as emails. It was just simple and easy.

Simple, easy, and I used to be able to sync them on my old phone (along with calendar, contacts, and tasks).

Now, it has become a problem for me.

I got to go, my bananna's are waiting......

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana: I'd rather peel and eat :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:then mess around with syncing my data:icon_ banana: on my droid anymore.....:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:...my goodness, so yellow and delicious!

YUM!

dro0g

Reaction score
While my original post (regarding Exchange) was tongue-in-cheek, as an IT guy I'm actually kind of happy they don't have an easy (or seemingly easy) way of syncing directly with Outlook.

Outlook is a CLIENT. Specifically it's the client application for Exchange. It's a pretty good PIM tool when used as designed. The farther away you get from its intended use-case however, the crappier a job it does and the more ways it breaks. It's a mediocre POP client and a fairly bad IMAP client. It stores its data in an easily corruptible proprietary format that's difficult to back up. Using Outlook as a primary data store is a recipe for data-loss.

If you're syncing OTA with Outlook, all you've done is set up a kluge where your PC is acting as a server. RIM has an app that does that for Blackberry and it's miserable. It has to be on all time time in order to sync. And then you've only synced between your PC and your phone - personally it would drive me crazy if I had to manually sync contacts, calendar, etc. between PCs/laptops and if I didn't have everything in webmail as well.

Of course this is far from the original topic of syncing Notes Items, that would be handy and I hope it gets added at some point. I also wish it could handle multiple Contacts folders (I hate the whole "one big contacts folder with tags to sort contacts" thing and have a few different Contacts folders in my mailbox.)