Sync Outlook contacts

kevin79

Reaction score
I have a new D2G that I just got. I had an original Droid before that. I have the corporate sync set up and it is syncing my email and calendar. It did sync my contacts originally but when I recently added a new contact to my Outlook address book, my phone never got it. I waited over 24 hours and finally had to disable the contacts sync in Settings > Accounts > Corporate Sync and then reenable it. How do I get it to sync the changes without doing this?

Jim T

Reaction score
Syncing OutLook Contacts with Droid

Just fired up the new Motorola Droid 2 Global this morning.

Direct email syncing with my web mail server is working fine. (e.g., can access emails via Outlook on desktop and through Droid, everything is in sync)

Calendar syncing is working, taking the route... Desktop Outlook Calendar >to> Google Calendar >to> Droid.

Can't seem to find a way to sync contacts between Outlook and Google Contacts. Gonna try the manual export/import path to at least get contacts on the Droid...

Have seen several references to commercial sync software (under $40) but just seems odd Google doesn't support this...

Will keep looking for desktop Outlook to Google Calendar sync S/W.

Will let you know what I find...

Otherwise love the phone so-far !!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go into gmail on line. Go to your settings. Look in there for instructions on how to sync Outlook. It's right there guys.

OP
K

kevin79

Reaction score
Go into gmail on line. Go to your settings. Look in there for instructions on how to sync Outlook. It's right there guys.

Isn't there a way to do it without syncing Outlook to my Gmail account? I want to keep my contacts and calendar separate.

Michaelb

Reaction score

I have the same problem as Kevin79 ( see my post of a few days ago)

I went into my account online and settings and could not find any instructions for contacts

Jim T

Reaction score
Ok... Hook was spot-on correct. Once you have the Contacts loaded on the Gmail server they replicate/sync down to the Droid.

However, my Calendar is not syncing.

I have appoinments in my calendar on the Gmail Server.

When I open the Droid Calendar it indicates "No Calendar Account" and wants me to add one. When I go to the Accounts screen it shows the Google account. When I select the Google account the "Data & Sync" screen pops up where i only see the Gmail and Contacts Sync lines.

It appears the Droid doesn't have a "calendar" attached to the Google Account on the Droid. And, I can't find any mention of how to tell the Droid there is a calendar attached to the Google Account. So... maybe I should delete the Google Account and re-add it, in the hopes the Droid will then recognize the Server Google account has Email, Contacts, and a Calendar???

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok... Hook was spot-on correct. Once you have the Contacts loaded on the Gmail server they replicate/sync down to the Droid.

However, my Calendar is not syncing.

I have appoinments in my calendar on the Gmail Server.

When I open the Droid Calendar it indicates "No Calendar Account" and wants me to add one. When I go to the Accounts screen it shows the Google account. When I select the Google account the "Data & Sync" screen pops up where i only see the Gmail and Contacts Sync lines.

It appears the Droid doesn't have a "calendar" attached to the Google Account on the Droid. And, I can't find any mention of how to tell the Droid there is a calendar attached to the Google Account. So... maybe I should delete the Google Account and re-add it, in the hopes the Droid will then recognize the Server Google account has Email, Contacts, and a Calendar???

No, I don't think that's going to help. There is no specific sync for Calendar.

Sync with Microsoft Outlook - Google Calendar Help

Instructions for syncing Google Calendar with your Droid. There is a compatibility link I see so I can't guarantee this will work for everyone but probably for most of you.

One last thing. To the people who want to sync with out using gmail, you have purchased a Google phone. If you didn't know that going in then shame on you. Gmail is where the backup is for your contacts and you need your contacts synced over there.

Maybe you can get around it by using Touchdown, (I'm not certain) but I would think you'd rather work with the phone for the way it was developed as opposed to trying to reinvent the OS.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have the same problem as Kevin79 ( see my post of a few days ago)

I went into my account online and settings and could not find any instructions for contacts

There is a link in the pop and sync email tab for this:

Supported POP client list - Gmail Help

Select the right version of outlook and follow the instructions there.

Jim T

Reaction score
Hook...

Thanks again for your reply.

I think there might be some confusion about my current issue.

Let's forget about Outlook for now. I'm only focused on syncing the Google Server (mail, contacts, & calendar) with the Droid residents apps.

Mail syncs fine between Google-Server and the Droid. Contacts syncs fine between Google-server and the Droid.

However, calendar does not sync... and when I open the Droid Calendar App, it indicates it has "no account". e.g., the Droid Calendar App (and only the Cal App) doesn't seem to know that it should use the Droid "Google Account". It seems like on initial phone setup, the Droid Calendar did not "connect" with the Droid Google account (the way D-mail and D-contacts did).

So my thought was to delete the Droid Google Account and "reduild" it... But, I find - I can't delete the Droid Google Account... the only way to get rid of it is to do a Factory Reset.

So... since I can't find any other way to tell the Droid Calendar app to connect to the Droid Google Account... it appears my only option is to factory reset. (????)

My only other thought... is there some setting on the Google-server Calendar that I must flip to allow it to "sync" with the Droid? i didn't need to do anything like that with G-mail & G-Contacts server-based apps. (nor can i find anything on the server based Google Calendar)

Thanks again for any guidance you can give.... Jim

akrupa

Reaction score
Hi everyone...i read with great interest the discussion above.... I have a droid 2, I love it. I uploaded the g mail program and companion link program called deja...... separately..... I haven't figured out how to use either very effectively. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

some questions. 1. my contacts which in outlook are filed alpha by last name are now filed alpha by first name in phone???? very confusing 2. how to i get the phone to synch when I hard wire it to my computer? I use microsoft office outlook 07 for daily work ...contacts, calendar and e mail. but it doesnt seem to be synching automatically. 3. G mail , companion link or touchdown.... any recommendations on which is the most easiest and likely to work for me. :) Please help.... and excuse my emerging tech skills. Thanks. Andy