Sync icon will not go away

cjriddle22

Reaction score
So after I updated to the new 2.3.340 the sync icon will not go away, even after it is done syncing. It doesn't really affect anything, just kind of annoying.

Any suggestions?

See screenshots below.

aDroidman

Reaction score
Go to your Gmail (on your phone) and then refresh it there. Have you rebooted your phone?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try a reboot. If that doesn't work pull the battery for a full 30 seconds.

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Go to your Gmail (on your phone) and then refresh it there. Have you rebooted your phone?

I did that, and yes I have rebooted multiple times. I took the OTA last night and woke up this morning with the icon still there, did really think about it too much as I had to do a reset to get the OTA. When I got home from work it was still there. I have cleared the cache of everything I could think of, and even used cachemate.

One thing I did notice, when I go to the accounts screen (the one with the check boxes), when I hit the menu key, the only option is to cancel sync... but it's not syncing. I am just trying to get it perfect before I make a backup and start flashing ROMs.

aDroidman

Reaction score
1. im guessing your rooted? 2. What happens if you click cancel sync?

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
1. im guessing your rooted? 2. What happens if you click cancel sync?

1. Of course. I have forgotten what it is like to be stock. That is why I'm trying to get everything working great, so I can make a nandroid backup of the stock goodness...and start flashing these new ROMs.

2. Nothing, nothing at all. It pretty much ignores my request to cancel the none existent sync.

aDroidman

Reaction score
1. So you are stock at the moment? If your stock then its something that messed up in the update. 2. If your still rooted what ROM?

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
1. So you are stock at the moment? If your stock then its something that messed up in the update. 2. If your still rooted what ROM?

1. Yes I am still on the stock ROM, but I rooted it right after I updated (z4root).

2. Rooted, but still on the stock ROM. I have not flashed a ROM (or theme) yet.

aDroidman

Reaction score
I know this may not be worth it. But unroot and see if its still there. If it is then something went wrong with the OTA and you can take it to VZW. If its gone when your unrooted then it should it be the same when you reroot again. Or you can make the nandroid backup and hope it works if you ever need to use it and start flashing Roms to see what happens.

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I know this may not be worth it. But unroot and see if its still there. If it is then something went wrong with the OTA and you can take it to VZW. If its gone when your unrooted then it should it be the same when you reroot again. Or you can make the nandroid backup and hope it works if you ever need to use it and start flashing Roms to see what happens.

Thanks for the quick help. I don't know, I might just let it chill for a while and see if it eventually goes away. Verizon, really? I would literally rather throw my phone into an open magma pit at the top of a volcano than take this beauty back to the place I saved her from. It really has no effect on the function of the phone, it was just bothering me. I think I'm just going to make the backup and dive in.

Anyone heard if we are going to get a full SBF of 2.3.340?

davezx9

Reaction score
you installed apps and data and system data using titanium back up didnt you?cant install system data this way. wipe data and cache and when using back up only install apps and data. No need to unroot

favnamy00

Reaction score
i had this same problem. it has somthing to do with titanium backup. i dont remember exactly what i did , but maybe you can google 'titanium backup + sync icon' and get some luck....thats what i did. i didnt have to reroot, restore or reset my phone. all i remember was going into TB -> backup/restore - then choosing diff items that sync (contacts, back up assistant, etc). its the last step i cant remember....i think i froze diff ones till the sync icon was gone then restore that particular app.hope this helps....

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
you installed apps and data and system data using titanium back up didnt you?cant install system data this way. wipe data and cache and when using back up only install apps and data. No need to unroot

Ok thanks. You are probably right, I think I restored everything via Titanium after I updated. I had to to do a hard reset before I could get the update to take. So when you say wipe data and cache, do you mean a hard reset or just go into clockwork and do it from there? Or either?

Thanks.

OP
cjriddle22

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I got it all fixed.

I ended up just doing a factory reset and then installing ONLY apps with data, not apps and system with data.

After seaching google as the above poster mentioned, it seems to be a glitch with Titanium, but as someone else stated, it is not a good idea to restore system data when you just updated your system.

Thanks for all the help.