Sync hanging - battery draining

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Tim K, Jan 19, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. Tim K

Tim K New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Started yesterday. My phone went dead at 5pm yesterday. It was fully charged when I unplugged it at 7:30am and I barely used it. "Voice calls" and "Android System" were the biggest battery uses which is really bizarre. Today I am already at 80% after 2 1/2 hrs of almost no use.

If I go to settings > Accounts & sync
    At the bottom of the screen something keeps flashing every 7-8 seconds but its so quick I almost can't read it. I think it says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." The gmail sync flashes red for a split second at the same time. I think this is the culprit.

I turned off sync and pulled the battery. When turned back on and went to the sync screen the error message stayed on screen and ______@gmail.com showed "sync error" and a red symbol. I reactivated all the syncs and the sync symbol and flashing problem came back.

Anyone else having a constant sync symbol and battery problems?
  2. Tim K

Tim K New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update:
    Now under the sync screen the gmail account shows "sync error" the symbol is red and the message at the bottom of the screen is now full time. But the notification bar symbol is now gone. I don't know if this is good or bad.
  3. BigRussDaGOD

BigRussDaGOD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    turn off your wifi and gps in the settings and use them when you really need it. also download advanced app killer from the market place and make friends with it. i use it almost after every time im done using my phone. it will kill all apps still running in the background that you are not using, thus saving battery life.
  4. Tim K

Tim K New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, if you read through the post you will see this is not related. I keep all those things off and use a task killer. This is a sudden problem with sync and has been reported on several other forums. Nothing any task killer or reset will fix.

I ended up doing a hard reset...which wouldn't have been a big deal at all if I could have remembered my pop settings! Also, since I customized all my icon shortcuts I had to redo all of those....but all my apps were re-installed with no issue.

A member on androidforums.com claims he was able to resolve this issue by doing the following:

I was having issues with contacts, the procedure would be the same though. Substitute Gmail for contacts! I no longer have the red sync symbol and all appears well. Hopefully this will help you guys too.
    Settings -> applications -> manage applications -> menu -> filter/all -> contacts (and contact storage) clear data (click ok). Power off and remove your battery for a few minutes then put it back and boot up.

Here are the discussions at other forums for more info:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting/36375-constant-sync-symbol-battery-drain.html

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/22304?tstart=0

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google Mobile/thread?tid=45bb964bc9e225e6&hl=en
  5. nag228

nag228 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Tim. I've been experiencing severe battery drain as well. the sync symbol is always showing at the the top of the notification screen. I'll check out the discussions and try the solution and post my results.
    :motdroidvert:
  6. nag228

nag228 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i haven't had a chance to check out the solution yet. My battery was completely drained by the time I got home yesterday, charged it and after it restarted, not seeing the same issue. If it happens again, I'll be back.
  7. Billc

Billc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same trouble with Calendar. It keeps trying to sync even when there is nothing to do. The battery lasts only about 2 hours when it starts. I can now get it to turn off (after calling Verizon and Motorola) but when I do a manual sync it just keeps going. This started just 2 or 3 days ago.
Search tags for this page

android gmail constantly syncing

android keeps trying to sync

android phone constantly syncing
droid incredible 3 constantly syncing

droid incredible keeps syncing

droid keeps trying to sync

email draining battery
gmail constantly syncing android
motorola droid keeps sync
why does my android email keep syncing