Sync/Battery Problems - SOLVED

hondaguy520

Reaction score
ive been trying to figure out why my battery wasnt charging and why it was draining so fast on sleep.

my calendar was at the top of the list of apps using battery, i got to digging around and on the gmail sync menu the clendar and contacts sync icons were constantly spinning, hence my battery problems.

at the bottom of the screen it says Sync is currently expierencing problems. it will be back shourly.

so if anyones having same problems, just turn off sync for gmail for now until its back and running

BenB2362

Reaction score
Hondaguy - how did you get to the list of apps using the battery? I've got the same problem with sync/battery and it was trial and error to locate it. I also found that the gmail calender was the sync not completing.

Thx!

Sal

Reaction score
Hondaguy - how did you get to the list of apps using the battery? I've got the same problem with sync/battery and it was trial and error to locate it. I also found that the gmail calender was the sync not completing.

Thx!

Home-Menu button-About Phone-Battery Use

BenB2362

Reaction score
Thanks SAL! I knew bout that one but it didn't show me any percents specific to "sync" or "calender" as Hondaguy stated.

I did find "sync feeds" as a package under "Android system" but the percent shown was only for "Android system".

HONDAGUY - I was really hoping to find out how you could see:
- my calendar was at the top of the list of apps using battery
- at the bottom of the screen it says Sync is currently expierencing problems. I did a manual gmail synch and the calender sync just hung but while contacts and email finished in seconds. I didn't get any message thing saying it was experiencing problems. What options did you use to get that message?

Thanks for the help all!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Perhaps phone settings > applications > manage applications > menu > filter > all > calendar storage > clear data would clear up the problem.

If gmail keeps syncing, do the above but clear gmail storage data. There's contacts storage too. Try clearing 'em out and they'll resync w/ google's servers.

What causes this? For me, it's been wifi. I've had wifi off for a month and no problems since making the change. Hopefully 2.1 will fix it.

OP
hondaguy520

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Thanks SAL! I knew bout that one but it didn't show me any percents specific to "sync" or "calender" as Hondaguy stated.

I did find "sync feeds" as a package under "Android system" but the percent shown was only for "Android system".

HONDAGUY - I was really hoping to find out how you could see:
- my calendar was at the top of the list of apps using battery
- at the bottom of the screen it says Sync is currently expierencing problems. I did a manual gmail synch and the calender sync just hung but while contacts and email finished in seconds. I didn't get any message thing saying it was experiencing problems. What options did you use to get that message?

Thanks for the help all!

I was using spare parts, its like extra settings for rooted phones and it has other battery options, my sync just says its expiriencing problems whenever I check the contacts, and the gmail doesn't stop lol. But email is fine, I'm going to try to do the clear data and ill post an update...btw I'm rooted with petes 2.1v8 buglessbeast

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
So far clearing the storage data has worked! Thanks aminaked

You're welcome. I'm gonna be a broken record on this one: if your syncing messes up or if your pop3 email stops polling in K9 or stock email app then the problem may be wifi. Today marks 4 weeks for me with none of these problems. I turned off wifi 4 weeks ago. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, because there are other reasons why syncing/polling can break. It's just something you might want to try because it has been the key for a few people. Turn off wifi, reboot, and never use wifi again.

Don't use an automated task killer. Don't use antivirus.

Sal

Reaction score
So far clearing the storage data has worked! Thanks aminaked

You're welcome. I'm gonna be a broken record on this one: if your syncing messes up or if your pop3 email stops polling in K9 or stock email app then the problem may be wifi. Today marks 4 weeks for me with none of these problems. I turned off wifi 4 weeks ago. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, because there are other reasons why syncing/polling can break. It's just something you might want to try because it has been the key for a few people. Turn off wifi, reboot, and never use wifi again.

Don't use an automated task killer. Don't use antivirus.

Yup. Even verizon says that the yahoo mail fix that's supposed to come with 2.1 ota still wont work with wifi. (One memo says "verizon" wifi, another just says wifi, implying all wifi. ) I'm a little obssessed about that lack of functionality.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup. Even verizon says that the yahoo mail fix that's supposed to come with 2.1 ota still wont work with wifi. (One memo says "verizon" wifi, another just says wifi, implying all wifi. ) I'm a little obssessed about that lack of functionality.

I was actually talking about wifi causing problems for any pop3 account and for gmail/calendar/contact syncing. I've also heard about wifi causing problems with the music player!

But yes, yahoo + wifi is messed up. Yahoo wants you to pay for their premium email account. Yeah right.

BenB2362

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not that lucky. I did the clear data and clear storage for the contacts, email and calender and rebooted. I've never used WIFI. Still sucks battery juice like a hungry baby with sync back on. I lose about 20% per hour and it gets pretty darn toasty. I turned off sync and charged it to 100% before bed last night and right now after several calls and web surfing I'm still at 80%. I'm naming this disease based on the symptoms as "S3"- Sync, Stinks, Stuck :mad:

After I tried the above without success I called Motorola support and was told to call Verizon. Called Verizon and they had me do a battery pull, *228 and option 1 - still S3. Verizon transfered me from support to warranty who suggested because I'm within the original 30 days I can get a brand new one and they suggested I not wait. I have till April 2nd to get a brand new one within the 30 days so I told them let me think about it. When I got my Droid we got another two so I wanted to compare their settings to mine and sure enough all three are set the same but I'm the only one having the issue. I'm calling Verizon now and I'm going to let them send me a new one.

I could try the factory reset but I don't think it's an acceptable fix. Clear and Reboot..sure...complete reset ... not so much.

Another thing I noticed was that my sync icon in the start bar never goes away while the other two Droid in the house only shows for a second or less every now and then. This could be a Google server issue since I've had several emails with attachments more than the other two phones but I'm not gonna play any further.

I'll probably duplicate this post into the other thread just for my own closure.

Forgot to mention that the Verizon rep questioned the battery as a reason for replacing the unit and also said he understood that although I could manually sync that it's key functionality to auto sync and would understand why I'd want one with the functionality that works. I haven't tried WIFI yet but I'd feel the same way if it ate my battery and other Droids didn't.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I replied to your post in another thread, but here I see that it looks like you've cleared data for Calendar, Contacts, Gmail, Calendar Storage, Contacts Storage, and Gmail storage. I wonder which service keeps syncing. If you go to phone settings > Accounts & sync and click on each of your accounts under "Manage accounts" you will see each google service w/ a checkbox. Is there a sync icon next to any of these? If so, then we know which is the troublemaker.

That would narrow it down a bit. There are different ways to handle sync errors for each service. For example, I've read that if Contacts keep syncing, it might have something to do with: adding birth dates to contacts, adding pictures to contacts, or having contacts with no first/last name.