< symbol appearing in front of contact phone number.. unable to text!

missrachel

Reaction score
Please help! This issue just started happening to me yesterday, and it is only happening with ONE contact/phone number in my phone - not all.

I noticed it first when trying to send a text message. My phone would not send a text to Jenn - failed each and every time. However it would only fail if I was responding in our text message thread. Opening a new text message and choosing her name (a la quick compose via ChompSMS) worked.

What I have discovered by viewing the failed message details is that the phone is texting to Jenn<3215555555. I have deleted her contact in my phone book but even when I try to text her real phone number, the thread turns into " Jenn <3215555555 "

WHAT THE HELL?!?!? I've restarted my phone, done a battery pull, and uninstalled/reinstalled ChompSMS - however, I know it isn't Chomp because I am seeing the same problem in the Moto Droid's native messaging app. I have even deleted her contact info but somehow it is stuck in my phone's memory.

Please help!! Thank you!

OP
missrachel

missrachel

Reaction score
Now I am only having the problem in ChompSMS! Moto Droid's native messaging app WILL send Jenn text messages in threaded view... without the "<" symbol. I just emailed the following to ChompSMS tech support. Maybe it will make my problem a bit more clear. I would truly appreciate any help anyone on these forums have to offer me.. or even any insight as to why this is happening. I am so frustrated!!!

[Email to ChompSMS:]

Hello! I have been happily using ChompSMS for quite a few months now. I have even donated as I am extremely satisfied with the app and am more than happy to help out the creators! However, I have just run into a strange issue for which I have been unable to find an answer...

As of the last two days, text messages through Chomp are being failed to send to a contact in my phone, Jenn. When I view the details of these failed messages, I am seeing it says:

To Jenn
Jenn<3215555555

instead of it simply saying, as it should:
To Jenn

Somehow this "<" symbol is stuck in front of her contact phone number and I am unable to send texts to her in our thread! When I quick compose and select her contact name from a drop down menu, the text message will send. It is only in the threaded view that this is happening.

I am able to text normally in my default messaging application, even in threaded view.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled, deleted and re input her contact information, done a battery pull, and have not had ANY luck with this issue.

MPSmith

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue. The ">" is appearing at the end of one of my contact names instead of the phone number. I can't seem to edit or remove it.

Anyone?

artpdroid2g

Reaction score
Similar issue w/my Droid2Global...

...similar issue, but without the < in front of the text message. See my post. I am using the installed text app. When the text finally arrives it has a weird time stamp--a 12:40pm text shows in the history as a 07:30am posting. Not sure where the disconnect is.