Swype's "hidden word"

techguru

Reaction score
one correction. The hidden word box only comes up if you have added a word to Swypes dictionary (which it does automatically if you type rather than swype a word) and then you select a different word from the selection pop-up.

The latest Beta seems to be less aggressive in doing this although it is still irritating if the added word is valid just not for this sentence.

Alan

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't understand why this "hidden word" box comes up - as an Original Droid/Beta Swype user I don't get this - can someone explain it a little bit ?

like when it appears? when swyping a word and it makes a suggestion for you, after so many times, the tip will appear full screen. kinda frequent now

lterry913

Reaction score
If you like swying and want to try an alternative without that pop up box you could try ultra keyboard ...in the market... more customizable than swype...the box will only pop up if a word is not in you dictionary and you would like to add or ignore it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^ thank you and wow. I've used Swype, slideit, shapewriter,8pen and Ultra beats them all.
Make my own themes,5 lines and no lag on any words like Swype and SlideItdoes. My favorite part is how easy it is to customize
Support our troops!
slidered from a wifi monolith

Davidd31415

Reaction score
^ thank you and wow. I've used Swype, slideit, shapewriter,8pen and Ultra beats them all.
Make my own themes,5 lines and no lag on any words like Swype and SlideItdoes. My favorite part is how easy it is to customize
Support our troops!
slidered from a wifi monolith

I'll try ultra- it sounds nice. Would be nice to not have the second character I type not appear before the first word I swyped because of lag!

I HATE the Swype tips box. The implementation of the tips box is unacceptable. Absolutely ridiculous. Tips should not be displayed EVERY time.

What's worse is that to actually do what the tips box references (delete the word which Swype erroneously identified) the user must type it back in! There is no easy to delete it from the custom dictionary with that annoying tips pop up box itself!

And of course the technique is useless with non-custom words. SO OFTEN Swype tips in words that I can almost guarantee I'll never type. Sometimes the predicted words are All words I never type. If I ever wanted them I could type them without Swype!

BUT the most annoying thing for me has to be when that@#!% tips box shows up while I'm using the stock Notes app. EVERY TIME I an scrolled to the top of my current note. And sliding down the note stinks- there's no 'momentum' or acceleration. I usually pull up the jump/arrow keys and juno to the bottom. SUCH A PAIN!

xowktiger

Reaction score
Anyone ever try to swype a word only to discover that the rectangular outline of the keyboard blinks blue without writing the word or even showing the list of suggestions?
This happened to me several months ago. I contacted Swype, sent them over a dozen emails with NO response in over a year (counting the very first email I sent them).
Typing each letter works. But I'm fed up with Swype. I'll try Ultra.

lterry913

Reaction score
Ultra is nice because if you swipe in a word and the wrong word keeps coming up you can long press the wrong word and blacklist it so it won't pop up any more...you can still type it in if you want the other word but I find the words that often pop up instead of the one you want you will probably never use.

xowktiger

Reaction score
I like it so far.
The only thing is that I'm used to seeing one letter per key. Even though having two letters doesn't seem to be affecting the accuracy, it is indubitably slowing down the speed at which I trace the letters.

So, what I'm asking is, is there a way to use a qwerty keyboard with Ultra?

lterry913

Reaction score
You must have it set up differently in settings...there is a single letter per key keyboard for swiping...check you settings under "general" I think you may have "compact keyboard" enabled..."press enable and then select never"...hopefully this will fix for you:)

Last edited:

lterry913

Reaction score
I like it so far.
The only thing is that I'm used to seeing one letter per key. Even though having two letters doesn't seem to be affecting the accuracy, it is indubitably slowing down the speed at which I trace the letters.

So, what I'm asking is, is there a way to use a qwerty keyboard with Ultra?
Just wondering if you what posted above on how to fix this? Ultra is such a fun and nice keyboard the blacklist a word option and shortcut word for anything for example email addresses is great...type yahoo for example and it will give you the option to select your whole email address, once you have programed it to remember, w/o typing it in... good luck and have fun with it.

Last edited: