1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Swype's "hidden word"

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by billyanks2, Aug 11, 2010.

1. billyanks2

billyanks2 New Member

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more on this forum. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of swype's tip box that tells you a word was "hidden". This is distinct from the word-choice box. I read somewhere that an update of swype will fix that, but that seems like it may not apply to us because the droid x came standard with swype unless swype upgrades get pushed ota.
  2. Technoman

Technoman New Member

Look through the Swype options....there are a lot of options that you can change. I think one has to do with the Swype tips pop up. That may also control the hidden word.

I really don't have that come up very often on my Droid 1 with Swype.
  3. billyanks2

billyanks2 New Member

I tried looking through the settings before posting... nothing that I could see.
  4. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

i looked for the longest time and cant find anything

that really gets annoying.
  5. Yourrid

Yourrid New Member

Stupid Tips on Swipe

I keep getting this annoying "tips" message that pops up telling me about a "hidden word" while im texting. I have turned off ALL SWIPE Notifications but it still comes up.

Anyone else notice this??? :icon_eek:
  6. dmclean

dmclean New Member

it is very annoying. no idea how to fix it tho
  7. Slighter

Slighter New Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. xowktiger

xowktiger New Member

There's no fix for this. People have been complaining for half a year now, and kept being told that the fix would be in the next update.
    Well, I deleted that **** now.
  9. xowktiger

xowktiger New Member

There's no fix for this. People have been complaining for half a year now, and kept being told that the fix would be in the next update.
    Well, I deleted that **** now.
    And Slighter, you actually click the search button? You must be pretty senior of a droid.
  10. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I don't understand why this "hidden word" box comes up - as an Original Droid/Beta Swype user I don't get this - can someone explain it a little bit ?
  11. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

12. xowktiger

xowktiger New Member

Since we're not directly punching in the keys, the software assumes the words we are most likely to be typing. Sometimes, the traces of certain words are too similar, and add to that the imperfection of our movement, Swype will not get the correct word 100% of the time. So when it's confused, it'll give you the words that best match the trace you've provided. That is, if you were trying to type pretty, most likely you'd be seeing the page in question with a list of words such as pretty and petty.

This feature, I like, as I'd imagine most of the users would.

But every time we this feature is enabled and we choose not the first word, the one that best matches the trace you've provided, it'll show a "tips" page informing us on how to remove such words. And it keeps on popping up, long after you've memorized every word on the page.

Even worse is that if the word whose trace is similar to another word happens to be in your contacts, you're just screwed. You can't delete the name from Swype dictionary, which means if you have a Facebook friend named Holly whom you haven't seen in the past 6 years, every time you try to type holy and don't get the trace perfectly, you'll be seeing this page.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  13. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Thanks for the Greater Understanding xowktiger :happy:
  14. xowktiger

xowktiger New Member

NP, tp76. I'm currently suffering from insomnia. I took a sleeping pill my friend gave me, but I'm still wide awake at 4AM.
    If anything, thank YOU for making me feel like I contributed to the world, instead of sitting at my desk like a zombie. Speaking of, I guess I'll play some zombies.
  15. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Anytime I think of insomnia I think of The Fight Club - be careful and don't beat yourself up :)
  16. techguru

techguru Member

one correction. The hidden word box only comes up if you have added a word to Swypes dictionary (which it does automatically if you type rather than swype a word) and then you select a different word from the selection pop-up.

The latest Beta seems to be less aggressive in doing this although it is still irritating if the added word is valid just not for this sentence.

Alan
  17. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

like when it appears? when swyping a word and it makes a suggestion for you, after so many times, the tip will appear full screen. kinda frequent now
  18. lterry913

lterry913 Member

If you like swying and want to try an alternative without that pop up box you could try ultra keyboard ...in the market... more customizable than swype...the box will only pop up if a word is not in you dictionary and you would like to add or ignore it.
  19. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

^ thank you and wow. I've used Swype, slideit, shapewriter,8pen and Ultra beats them all.
    Make my own themes,5 lines and no lag on any words like Swype and SlideItdoes. My favorite part is how easy it is to customize
    Support our troops!
    slidered from a wifi monolith
  20. Davidd31415

Davidd31415 New Member

I'll try ultra- it sounds nice. Would be nice to not have the second character I type not appear before the first word I swyped because of lag!

I HATE the Swype tips box. The implementation of the tips box is unacceptable. Absolutely ridiculous. Tips should not be displayed EVERY time.

What's worse is that to actually do what the tips box references (delete the word which Swype erroneously identified) the user must type it back in! There is no easy to delete it from the custom dictionary with that annoying tips pop up box itself!

And of course the technique is useless with non-custom words. SO OFTEN Swype tips in words that I can almost guarantee I'll never type. Sometimes the predicted words are All words I never type. If I ever wanted them I could type them without Swype!

BUT the most annoying thing for me has to be when that@#!% tips box shows up while I'm using the stock Notes app. EVERY TIME I an scrolled to the top of my current note. And sliding down the note stinks- there's no 'momentum' or acceleration. I usually pull up the jump/arrow keys and juno to the bottom. SUCH A PAIN!
Search tags for this page
android swipe hidden word
biggestwordonswype
hidden swipe tips
how to get rid of hidden word swype
how to get rid of swipes tip for hidden words
how to get rid of tip box swype
longest swype word
longest word for swype
longest word in swype dictionary
longest word on swype
longest word swype