1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Swype Update

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by dolpns13, Sep 17, 2010.

1. dolpns13

dolpns13 New Member

Hello.. Let me start by saying I have a rooted droid. Swype sent an email to me saying they now have an updated version of swype and went through the steps on how to install it. They first said I had to uninstall my current version of swype - which I did. When I went to the site to install the update, it will not allow my to install the package because the website does not recognize that I have an android phone - I assume this is because I am rooted. Well now because I uninstalled it, I have no swype, and cant install the update.

Does anyone know how I can get my swype back, or install the updated version? This totally sucks. I hate the default keyboard - it freaks out on me.

Please help.
  2. cloud12077

cloud12077 Member

Check your private messeges
  3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

It is not because you have a rooted phone. It is because your browser is set to a User Agent of Computer or Desktop rather than Android. Change that and the install should work. It did for me.
  4. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

My UA string on my browser is set as "Desktop"

I have a rooted phone and Swype's website had no problem identifying my phone as Android.
  5. dolpns13

dolpns13 New Member

you are totally right.. my user agent is set to desktop.. thanks for the heads up!
  6. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Make sure you remove the Swype Installer as well or you'll have problems installing the update.
  7. dolpns13

dolpns13 New Member

yeah, I removed everything. The apps and the files in my file manager
  8. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

There is a thread here with some other people having problems and various resolutions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/80432-swype-installation-errors-cm6-2.html

Seems there are a variety of routes to get this to work (some seem to work for some, but not all). However, most seem to be able to get it resolved without resorting to voodoo or ritual sacrifice.
  9. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    You can have your browser set as desktop all the time and it will not affect swype. The only time you need to set your desktop to Android is while you are downloading and installing the new swype, then you can put it back to desktop and all will be good.

Also, I had to delete all my prior downloads before the update would work. So go into your downloads folder (using root explorer) and delete all the prior swype downloads.
Search tags for this page

swype not working after update