Swype Update Brings All New Features!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are so many keyboards out there. Over the years I have tried many, but I go through phones so often that I rarely remember to grab a third party keyboard which almost always improves the user experience. Swype has been one of the best keyboards around and has consistently been one of the top ranked keyboards on the Play Store.

They have just released an update which brings lots of new features. Swype now suggests entire multi-word phrases when typing. This new feature seems to be based on your sentence history. This new feature should really speed things up especially if you find yourself typing the same sorts of sentences on a regular basis. There is also now a predictive number suggestion which suggest numbers when you click on any key that has secondary numbers. There is now a new and improved emoji keyboard with lots of emojis. Lastly the new swype has brand new Star Trek themes which can be purchased for only $2 each or you can buy an entire character pack for only $7. There are other themes as well.

Via Play Store

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been using Swype for Oppo for years now since the paid version went to heck in a hand basket but I'll try it again. I'm testing it out now as a matter of fact and it seems to have lost its bugs and is even faster than the Oppo version and more accurate at figuring out my sloppy slides. I'm not one for guessing what will bring up which secondary key when long pressed so I'll be sticking with the classic themes of old that show the secondary keys.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
SwiftKey is a decent alternative and while I've tried them all, I always find myself returning to Swype. You just can't beat the original, they wrote the book on this input method.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
As lame as it sounds, the lack of a dedicated Emoji keyboard within Swype has prevented me from using it since emojis became available on Android. The whole, "emoji suggestion" approach was kind of flimsy in my opinion. I am beyond excited that they have added a dedicated emoji keyboard, as I really love Swype.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As lame as it sounds, the lack of a dedicated Emoji keyboard within Swype has prevented me from using it since emojis became available on Android. The whole, "emoji suggestion" approach was kind of flimsy in my opinion. I am beyond excited that they have added a dedicated emoji keyboard, as I really love Swype.
As I was reading reviews, the emoji addition seemed to be a very black or white issue to most that reviewed the update. I've never used them other than type out a few characters here and there like the days of old on Windows so I found it interesting the responses being so emotional one way or the other.
I switched to the other because it had developed a bug that was especially prevalent on Samsung devices where it'd bloat the ram to the point of freezing up the phone in areas not keyboard related such as waking the phone from sleep and would clobber battery life. It took a few days to start showing up so I'll give it some time to see if it is truly fixed this time.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

jano23

Reaction score
I wish they allowed the option to show/hide alternative characters on all these awesome new themes. This option is sadly lacking

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
As I was reading reviews, the emoji addition seemed to be a very black or white issue to most that reviewed the update. I've never used them other than type out a few characters here and there like the days of old on Windows so I found it interesting the responses being so emotional one way or the other.
I switched to the other because it had developed a bug that was especially prevalent on Samsung devices where it'd bloat the ram to the point of freezing up the phone in areas not keyboard related such as waking the phone from sleep and would clobber battery life. It took a few days to start showing up so I'll give it some time to see if it is truly fixed this time.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

I don't know what it is, I just really like adding that extra spice to my text messages. I guess because I can be a bit sarcastic, which is hard to convey through text, the right emoji can help to convey that properly or lighten something that may otherwise seem callous if taken in the wrong context. As most people do, I text a lot, so being sarcastic through text can get dangerous. Is that a valid reason to stop using a keyboard? The world may never know. Hahaha!

Beer Goggles

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8
SwiftKey is a decent alternative and while I've tried them all, I always find myself returning to Swype. You just can't beat the original, they wrote the book on this input method.
I've always found SwiftKey's predictions much better than Swype. First doesn't always mean best.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far the paid version is much faster and seems to have gone back to closer to the beta days where it practically reads my mind, no matter how sloppy I'm sliding. I don't really give a rip about how accurate the next word is if it's based on the incorrect current word . SK Flow starts out good for me but within a week goes off the rails with current word accuracy. Every major update I try it again and within a week I'm back on Swype.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
I've gone back and forth between Swype and SwiftKey. I'm on Swype now. Like the new emojis in it. What I liked about SwiftKey, were the different themed key boards. Much better than Swype's, I think.

But,I got tired of all the errors I was getting.really, my only gripe with Swype right now is it is not giving an automatic space after a period and then capitalizing the first word afterwards. I.E., see the prior sentence (that's the way it typed and I did not correct it).. But,I may be missing something in settings.I haven't looked real close (whoops, did it again).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth between Swype and SwiftKey. I'm on Swype now. Like the new emojis in it. What I liked about SwiftKey, were the different themed key boards. Much better than Swype's, I think.

But,I got tired of all the errors I was getting.really, my only gripe with Swype right now is it is not giving an automatic space after a period and then capitalizing the first word afterwards. I.E., see the prior sentence (that's the way it typed and I did not correct it).. But,I may be missing something in settings.I haven't looked real close (whoops, did it again).

Double tap the space bar isn't dropping a period then capping the next letter?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Ok. I will try it. Seems to be working. thx. I had read, but it didn't connect,I guess. . Now I will do my own checking to see about spacing after the comma

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok. I will try it. Seems to be working. thx. I had read, but it didn't connect,I guess. . Now I will do my own checking to see about spacing after the comma

It used to be an option you could disable and I always did. I'd rather do it myself in case I want to double or triple space something. Now if you want double space you just tap the space bar once, wait a full second and tap it again to keep it from ending the sentence and starting a new one.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail

If you want to space after any punctuation mark, simply swipe from that key to the space bar and it will insert a space after the punctuation mark. So for instance, you want to use a comma and have a space after it, just swipe from the comma key to the space bar and it will automatically insert a space after the comma. There are a bunch of gestures like that, you can learn about them in the Settings of Swype if you want to see the other nifty tricks you can do!

Reactions: cr6