Swype problem

LMac8806

Reaction score
I installed Swype and I absolutely LOVE it so far. I am having an issue with it though....any time I turn off my phone, when I turn it back on I get a message saying Swype is configured for another device and will function with limited effectiveness or something like that. I have to keep reinstalling it. I have no idea what the deal is.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I installed Swype and I absolutely LOVE it so far. I am having an issue with it though....any time I turn off my phone, when I turn it back on I get a message saying Swype is configured for another device and will function with limited effectiveness or something like that. I have to keep reinstalling it. I have no idea what the deal is.

Known bug in the beta. Don't reinstall. Instead, do the following:

(1) Open an application that requires keyboard input like email or a notepad.

(2) Long Press on the text field to get an "input method" choice.

(3) Choose the Android Keyboard.

(4) Long press again.

(5) Choose Swype.

Be sure that you have both the android keyboard and Swype enabled in your settings so you have a choice of input methods.

As noted, it's a known bug and Swype is trying to fix it. It occurs when you turn your phone on because Swype tries to instantiate itself before the O/S has finished its housekeeping tasks.

Hope that helps.

P.S. By the way, this occurs only with the "official" Swype version (5652). It does not occur with the earlier 5612 build that was lifted from the beta program several days ago.

huskur

Reaction score

Known bug in the beta. Don't reinstall. Instead, do the following:

(1) Open an application that requires keyboard input like email or a notepad.

(2) Long Press on the text field to get an "input method" choice.

(3) Choose the Android Keyboard.

(4) Long press again.

(5) Choose Swype.

Be sure that you have both the android keyboard and Swype enabled in your settings so you have a choice of input methods.

As noted, it's a known bug and Swype is trying to fix it. It occurs when you turn your phone on because Swype tries to instantiate itself before the O/S has finished its housekeeping tasks.

Hope that helps.

P.S. By the way, this occurs only with the "official" Swype version (5652). It does not occur with the earlier 5612 build that was lifted from the beta program several days ago.

only works until the next reboot or power cycle.....really you should use the 5612 version. No known issues with incompatibility

OP
L

LMac8806

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I figured it had been covered before, but a search for "Swype" on this site gets quite a few threads to look through lol.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
only works until the next reboot or power cycle.....really you should use the 5612 version. No known issues with incompatibility

You're right that the problem recurs on the next power cycle. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I went back and forth on the 5612 vs 5652 issue. I was running 5612 and when I configured my wife's new droid a few days ago she received 5652 automatically when it was installed. I thought about maintaining 5612 on my phone but decided to "upgrade" once I knew how to deal with the power cycle issue.

My reasoning was that when Swype releases bug fixes for the beta version I'd be better off with the "official" build they're working from. YMMV, of course. And I didn't encounter any significant bugs in the 5612 build. On the other hand, I can consult the Swype forum to see what's discovered about the 5652 build. Can't do that with the earlier 5612 build.

Bottom line is that 5612 appears to work without problems (at least in my experience.) And if you're not enrolled in the Swype beta program it's your only option. But it's also a dead end and won't be updated.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
One last point for others stumbling across this thread. If you're officially in the Swype beta program it is NOT a good idea to uninstall/reinstall Swype repeatedly. There was a suggestion on the Swype forum that there is a limit on the number of reinstalls you can request. Unsure what that limit is, but the folks at Swype specifically recommended against repeated reinstalls to deal with the power cycle issue.

And finally... If you replace your Droid with another unit after your five year old drops it from a 12 story balcony you won't be able to "reinstall" on your new device since the beta program tracks the ESN of your phone. You then have two choices. Use the 5612 version or get in touch with Swype and explain your problem.

huskur

Reaction score
I personally would rather have a working program without the bugs. No need to involve Swype when i encounter the bugs. They know about them already and i do not have the time for it. Once the bugs are taken care of i will get the full blown updated version. Currently i am running 5612 for functionality. I keep up with swype through email and their site and am a member of the beta testers. i just chose to use a functioning (properly) version.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally would rather have a working program without the bugs. No need to involve Swype when i encounter the bugs. They know about them already and i do not have the time for it. Once the bugs are taken care of i will get the full blown updated version. Currently i am running 5612 for functionality. I keep up with swype through email and their site and am a member of the beta testers. i just chose to use a functioning (properly) version.

That's your choice, of course. And I wouldn't necessarily argue with it. I went the other direction but your points were the ones I considered when I thought about keeping 5612. I still have that version and can return to it if I wish.

One factor that pushed me over the edge in the other direction was a completely subjective impression that 5652 on my wife's phone seemed a bit "snappier" than the 5612 version on my phone. It was an apples/oranges comparison because I have well over 100 apps on my phone and my wife has only the 35 that I downloaded to her new phone. Still, 5652 functions very well on my phone except for the PITA power cycle bug. And since I seldom power cycle my phone, it's only an occasional irritation.

As I said, there are arguments on both sides. Just hope that the discussion lets others know what their choices are.

huskur

Reaction score

That's your choice, of course. And I wouldn't necessarily argue with it. I went the other direction but your points were the ones I considered when I thought about keeping 5612. I still have that version and can return to it if I wish.

One factor that pushed me over the edge in the other direction was a completely subjective impression that 5652 on my wife's phone seemed a bit "snappier" than the 5612 version on my phone. It was an apples/oranges comparison because I have well over 100 apps on my phone and my wife has only the 35 that I downloaded to her new phone. Still, 5652 functions very well on my phone except for the PITA power cycle bug. And since I seldom power cycle my phone, it's only an occasional irritation.

As I said, there are arguments on both sides. Just hope that the discussion lets others know what their choices are.

exactly.....choices....at least until its global and working "perfect" and then the charge for it comes. Which is fine. I would pay for it now. What a revolutionary keyboard input method

donerico

Reaction score

I joined the beta early and downloaded the official version at the time, which was 5612. I have not received any communication from swype saying that I should upgrade to 5652. Has anybody else been told to do that by the people at swype if they were not experiencing any problems? Also, has swype indicated what is the mechanism to keep up with the updates? do we need to monitor the swype forum or will we be notified through email?