Swype Preloaded

Warglock

Reaction score
Since most android phones are coming preloaded with Swype, is it possible to remove it, then load the newest version on it? I had the Swype beta on my D1 and it was a grey color, but on the D3, Swype is white. I don't see any options in the settings to change the appearance. Is it possible to remove the preloaded Swype? Or is that another thing we need to wait for root for?

I read Swype's website and installing the beta over the preloaded version won't fix it.

technogeek00

Reaction score
Like the other verizon bloatware it is locked onto the phone. Not saying swype is bloatware, I use it all the time and love it. Its just locked like the bloatware. If you check the versioning however it looks like the swype version built in is the same as the beta, or at least one step behind.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
Warglock

Warglock

Reaction score
I'm gonna bump this so I don't have to start a new thread.

Now that the D3 has root, is it now safe to remove the preloaded version of Swype and install the newest version?

Reaction score
I'm going to freeze it later and install the beta to see what happens a little later today after I finish my build.prop tweaking... so I can give you an anwer later.

sarreq

Reaction score
i tried this, the beta just constant force closes.
you can freeze the included one, install the beta, but not use it

pyro6128

Reaction score
I was able to to put the new swype beta on my d3. Just froze the regular swype, then did all of the swype download instructions. After that, I couldn't get swype to show up in the inputs (after rebooting after every step just to be safe). However, once I unfroze the swype apk and selected that one as my input, it was the new beta. The installer installs right to system. Everything works perfectly, and I much prefer the beta look to the one that came with our phones.

edit: I wrote out the instructions here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-apps/168052-how-update-swype.html#post1707464

There may be a better way, but this is the way I got it to work

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Does anyone know what's new in the beta besides gestures? The Bionic comes with 3.21 preloaded and send to be working great.

Reaction score
I was able to to put the new swype beta on my d3. Just froze the regular swype, then did all of the swype download instructions. After that, I couldn't get swype to show up in the inputs (after rebooting after every step just to be safe). However, once I unfroze the swype apk and selected that one as my input, it was the new beta. The installer installs right to system. Everything works perfectly, and I much prefer the beta look to the one that came with our phones.

edit: I wrote out the instructions here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-apps/168052-how-update-swype.html#post1707464

There may be a better way, but this is the way I got it to work

Will following your steps, and installing the new swype on top of the pre installed one, prevent you from receiving an OTA update?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums