Swype Plus Voice to Text Would Be . . .

griz8791

Reaction score
. . . the killer app on this device. I would pay serious money for it. Seems like it would be technically feasible, since the developers of Uber Keyboard (fka Talk to Me Keyboard) have been able to access that part of the hardware and OS. I have Swype and Uber Keyboard on my phone but just wind up using Swype all the time because it's so easy and I'm too lazy to switch to one of the voice input keyboards. That would change in a hurry if Swype had a little microphone icon like the 2.1 built-in keyboard does.

OP
G

griz8791

Reaction score
It's there, just hit the menu button.

I have a microphone button in the menu when I'm in Handcent (because voice to text is written into that app) but not when I'm in other apps like e-mail or docs to go. I'm talking about access to the voice to text feature without having to change away from the Swype input method. If yours does this, please let me know how you set it up.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, Swype doesn't support speech to text on the Android platform. I suspect that they will since they now have a contract with either Sprint or T-Mobile (can't recall which) to supply Swype for their phones, but it's not there yet.

The HTC (tap) keyboard does support it, however. And apart from being a better (imo) virtual keyboard than the Droid's, the speech to text works relatively well.

IN AWE

Reaction score
I have a microphone button in the menu when I'm in Handcent (because voice to text is written into that app) but not when I'm in other apps like e-mail or docs to go. I'm talking about access to the voice to text feature without having to change away from the Swype input method. If yours does this, please let me know how you set it up.
Your right, sorry. I have only used it in Handcent. I just looked and nothing in the other apps. I learned something today, shocking.

Your are correct, that would be a perfect combo.

tameone

Reaction score
I think about this every time I use Swype.. then I get annoyed and switch back to the HTC keyboard.

The other downside to Swype is the prediction window it stuck right in the middle of the friggen screen so you can only see what you're typing in the little box, not in the actual text frame. HTC and Android keyboards put text prediction in a little bar between the keys and the text frame.. much better. I don't think theres a way to change this on Swype, is there? Because it makes using swype as an actual keyboard (i.e. tapping keys, not swyping) more difficult.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think about this every time I use Swype.. then I get annoyed and switch back to the HTC keyboard.

The other downside to Swype is the prediction window it stuck right in the middle of the friggen screen so you can only see what you're typing in the little box, not in the actual text frame. HTC and Android keyboards put text prediction in a little bar between the keys and the text frame.. much better. I don't think theres a way to change this on Swype, is there? Because it makes using swype as an actual keyboard (i.e. tapping keys, not swyping) more difficult.

I turned off "prediction" in Swype ages ago. I find that when my finger is moving all over the keyboard it tends to obscure the "predictions" anyway. That functionality makes far more sense in a "tapping" input entry model.

J.P.

Reaction score
Allowing me to swype curse words would help too. Nothing sucks more than when I am pissed off and say ducking instead of the other word...

movadoevo8

Reaction score

I turned off "prediction" in Swype ages ago. I find that when my finger is moving all over the keyboard it tends to obscure the "predictions" anyway. That functionality makes far more sense in a "tapping" input entry model.

I had Swype but it expired on me. Is there a way to get i back? I liked it a lot too, better then the OEM keyboard.

n0m0n

Reaction score

I had Swype but it expired on me. Is there a way to get i back? I liked it a lot too, better then the OEM keyboard.

try shapewriter

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score

There is a new beta version. The apk is floating around here somewhere if you want to search for it.

Edit: Here ya go. Swype and a bunch of other goodies.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...t-including-google-earth-no-one-can-find.html

Last edited: