Swype issue

chmcclellan

Reaction score
I switched to Simply Stunning last night and am having the same problem. Tried re-downloading and even re-downloading the installer (I am a beta member). I have gotten Swype to work on Kangerade 5.0.9 and in CM6 RC1.

Really loving this Simply Stunning but Swype is sort of a deal-breaker.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Reminder: discussions about passing around copies of Swype are not allowed here.

The only legal method to get Swype is to sign up for their beta program. Discussions of non-legal methods of obtaining software (warez) can result in the ban stick being deployed.

Discussions about how to get Swype working are fine.

I am using Swype on Sapphire right now with no problem. I used it with no problem on SS4.1 and SS4.2 as well.

Here is what I do to keep it running:

1. Signed up for the Swype beta program at their website
  2. Installed it with no problem and found it functioned
  3. Switched roms
  4. Completely uninstalled all copies of it after switching roms. Both the installer and the actual program.
  5. I kept the installer from the previous download from the beta site so I rerun that, sign into the site, and let the actual program download and install.
  6. If you didn't keep the installer program (the program goes and fetches the actual Swype apk file after making you sign into the Swype site) then revisit the website to obtain it again and then do step 2.
  7. Finally, I changed my keyboard settings, input method, and then I'm off and Swyping again.

chmcclellan

Reaction score
starting to pull my hair out

Ok, tried uninstalling Swype and the installer, cleared cache, re-downloaded the installer and installed Swype, adjusted the input settings - same problem.

When the installer is finishing it gives me a message that swype was already installed on the phone. Then when I open the swype keyboard for the first time, it tells me it is for another device and will work with limited function (ie it will type but not swype).

Any ideas? Has swype left a trail I can take care of?

chmcclellan

Reaction score
Here is the message I am getting:

"Download of the package failed.
Swype is already installed.
Please uninstall and try again."

mark1wat

Reaction score
From the swype web site....:)

Advanced: I receive one of the following errors when I try to install Swype:
  • Registration of the License Failed
  • Swype is already installed. Please uninstall Swype and try again.
  • Swype is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality.
  • You do not have the necessary permissions to install Swype or
  • The ID of this of this phone does not match your registration at beta.swype.com

These errors are often shown when the Swype installer is terminated prematurely by the Android OS system activity manager as it tries to reclaim resources. Regardless of the cause, these steps should resolve the issue:
  • Uninstall both Swype and SwypeInstaller from your device - detailed directions here
  • Reboot your device
  • Close as many widgets from your desktop as possible
  • Download the SwypeInstaller
  • Use a task-manager to kill all non-essential running apps
    (If you are not familiar with the task-manager, you can skip this, but you may see the error again)
  • Install and run the SwypeInstaller

mark1wat

Reaction score
I had given up on Swype and I have been using the stock keyboard for the last couple of months. I followed these instructions today and it is finally working perfectly.

Philba

Reaction score
There is one other way to legit get swype - get a Droid X. Works surprisingly well on mine except for words that aren't in the dictionary. Try entering "yomama" in the market search field (it suggests romans, lol). Then you have to revert to "tap typing". While the example is meant for humor, I find it kind of a pain to have to switch. Not sure I'm going to keep swype as the default because of it. (and no, "yomama" is not typically in my vocabulary.)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
you can also run out of swype downloads in the beta program, fyi, from experience...

titanium and bkapps/rstapps never worked right, always left me with swype installed, but it wouldn't swype... so i always had to redownload again, and lo and behold, i just ran out

that page referenced above also says we can email and get our download count reset, so i just tried that

just some more info, for whatever it's worth...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here is the message I am getting:

"Download of the package failed.
Swype is already installed.
Please uninstall and try again."

Somewhere you still have it installed. Check settings/apps, which is where I uninstalled it from last time I had to.

Use Root Explorer or something similar to search for swype and see if there is an apk elsewhere

Do a full backup, then do a wipe and reflash your rom. That way you know it isn't on. Install then, see if it works, then decide which path to take from there. If it doesn't work you'll know quickly and then can just restore your backup.

mark1wat

Reaction score
There is one other way to legit get swype - get a Droid X. Works surprisingly well on mine except for words that aren't in the dictionary. Try entering "yomama" in the market search field (it suggests romans, lol). Then you have to revert to "tap typing". While the example is meant for humor, I find it kind of a pain to have to switch. Not sure I'm going to keep swype as the default because of it. (and no, "yomama" is not typically in my vocabulary.)

If you "tap type" the word that is not in the dictionary and then hit the space bar, it will add the word to the dictionary. That way the next time you want to type "yomama", you can swype it. :cool:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can also run out of swype downloads in the beta program, fyi, from experience...

titanium and bkapps/rstapps never worked right, always left me with swype installed, but it wouldn't swype... so i always had to redownload again, and lo and behold, i just ran out

that page referenced above also says we can email and get our download count reset, so i just tried that

just some more info, for whatever it's worth...

I've heard this and worried about it myself. I've probably reinstalled Swype 10-15 times but never ran out of installs. I too found that restored copies didn't work. Nandroid restores work fine.

I had forgotten those instructions at the site. The other suggestion is to go through the steps a couple of times. I recall seeing posts where the 3rd or 4th time installing was the charm.

And yes, buying a phone with Swype pre-installed is definitely one way of getting a legal copy:)

qman66

Reaction score
i have been using swype since february and love it but it could be much better if i could erase certain words from the dictionary. for example: i use the word man a lot like "wats up man" and in swype sometimes i either get man or msn. its very annoying. is msn even a word? another one is good and half the time i get god. no disrespect to god but i wish i could erase that word from the dictionary because i dont use it often. does anyone know how to erase words from the dictionary? THANK YOU!!!!

Mr.Hoff

Reaction score
Highlight the word (double click) and then hit the swype key ( bottom left) and confirm that you want to delete it. You can also reset the entire dictionary in application settings if you want a fresh start with the default dictionary.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

alboboy10

Reaction score
Some words can't be deleted though. I've tried. Trust me I hate that too. The old swype with black keyboard was more accurate. I get man a lot too. So many words that piss me off.