Swype is cool, but is it really faster?

jeebuss1

Reaction score
I tried swype for a while but when I'm entering text my thumbs cover up to much of the keyboard so I have trouble navigating letter to letter.

thistle

Reaction score
I have yet to take the swype tutorial but I'll have to do it this weekend, otherwise I'm removing it. I'm sure I'm missing something or using it wrong because it's torturous to use and way slower than the standard app. Sure it's just me or I don't understand how it works but I will give the tutorial a shot since so many others like it.
"Torturous" was my assessment as well. No where near as fast as the virtual keyboard in landscape with predictive for me.

minmongoblin

Reaction score
I'm definitely faster on the physical keyboard.

I can see how some people are faster on Swype, though, it is a pretty sweet input method. I don't know if it's adapting to my style though. I still get a lot of words I don't use as often as my first choice, which slows me down, and it still doesn't handle contractions very well, which I use often.
You ARE swiping down to the apostrophe key as part of the word, right? Under the N?

Gunghoray

Reaction score
Texting while Driving in NC

THANK YOU to Guchi for posting that link!! I just downloaded it and tried it and WOW! I love it! I was a police officer for over 16 years, very use to texting and driving for 12 hours a day! I couldnt text for crap one handed with my thumb (while driving) with this thing (my Droid). I was getting frustrated, coming from a Palm Treo 700wx that I loved. NOW I AM COMPLETE!! WOO HOO!!

Longshot. I'm really interested in your rationale about texting while driving. As a police officer, I'd have thought you would be opposed to doing that.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
THANK YOU to Guchi for posting that link!! I just downloaded it and tried it and WOW! I love it! I was a police officer for over 16 years, very use to texting and driving for 12 hours a day! I couldnt text for crap one handed with my thumb (while driving) with this thing (my Droid). I was getting frustrated, coming from a Palm Treo 700wx that I loved. NOW I AM COMPLETE!! WOO HOO!!

Longshot. I'm really interested in your rationale about texting while driving. As a police officer, I'd have thought you would be opposed to doing that.

I felt the same way until I met an officer from Miami that would let people get away with possession of marijuana because "there are more dangerous criminals to catch and it isn't worth his time to handle these". I've seen officers make turns without turn signals, drive in rain without headlights (illegal in my state), and watch people get stuck out in the intersection on red lights and just shake their heads.

Gunghoray

Reaction score
Wsbsteven,

I actually agree with you, but really give the benefit of the doubt to folks until I hear their rationale. Maybe texting one-handed without looking is a skill this officer has mastered. I won't beat him up until he answers.

In the meantime, this dangles on getting way off topic.

Blessings to you all.

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score
Still playing around with it..I guess the jury is still out. Then again we are judging it in beta which is a bit unfair.
I would love an option where it was swype in horizontal, and switch to normal in landscape.

Geofferson

Reaction score
I am a faster and more efficient texter with Swype enabled. I like it quite a bit thus far. :)

wil318466

Reaction score
I'm pretty fast with swype now, but the mistakes are what kills me. Mistakes take forever to fix in swpe, (It seems) but mistakes with regular keyboard seem to be fixed much easier.

-Wil

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score
I tried swype for a while but when I'm entering text my thumbs cover up to much of the keyboard so I have trouble navigating letter to letter.
Use your index finger!

The index is busy supporting the device. Unless you use your other hand to hold it. You need the thumb for one hand texting.

butch350

Reaction score
It does force one handed use. Also, if you are not very familiar with the keyboard, you're scewed. Hunt-and-Peck users, need not apply...

That being said...very cool technology. It's suprising how well it works.

I am a "hunt & peck" typist and I have no problem with SWYPE. Learning SWYPE to me has nothing to do with knowing how to type - since you dont type on SWYPE you SWYPE. All you have to know is how to read the alphabet and coordinated enough to swype across the letters.

People, you shouldn't come here and discourage people from trying SWYPE by telling them they need to know how to type to use SWYPE - cause it just ain't so. (at least, not in my case)!

styx

Reaction score
I will/would pay for Swype! It's just that great!

Technoman

Reaction score
I personally think Swype is faster, but like hutch said it does need some work. Just little things like no auto-capitalization for the first word in a sentence and not automatically adding a space after a comma. The auto-correction works pretty well in my opinion, it just needs a little optimization and it would be flawless.

We should probably get the developer on this forum ,if they are not already, and tell them about the little nuances so they can add it for the official release.

Would like to know why you want the DEV to change Swype to function different than proper English dictates? It is proper in English to capitalize the first letter of the first word of any sentence, and it is also proper to put a space after a comma. In proper sentence structure there are 2 spaces after a period.

It can be taught slang, but that is one of the things that I love about Swype. It is so easy to use that it pushes me to use full words and proper English.

I feel I am close to 25% faster on Swype than with the Android on screen keyboard. I haven't really pushed myself to use the tactile keyboard, but I think I may even be faster on Swype than the hardware one.

As they say... to each his own!

Brokn68

Reaction score
I really like it and plan on keeping it as primary kb.