Swype is cool, but is it really faster?

Gunghoray

Reaction score
THUMBS???!! I never considered using my thumbs with SWYPE. I guess it's because I don't text a lot, but DO respond to emails all day long. Like another poster early in this thread, I'm painfully slow on the build-in keyboard, but am at around 30 wpm with SWYPE. If I make an error, just click the X on the suggested options and start over. No backspacing or corrections necessary.

Too bad they're only pursuing OEM distribution. There are two other threads on this concept you may find interesting.

Search is your friend.

Prof Ray
Recovering Storm Abuser

au1776

Reaction score
Generally much prefer Swype, and I was pretty quick with my thumbs on my bberry 8830.

But I do hope they eventually work out a few of the aforementioned kinks. Plus autocorrect is occasionally ridiculous, like when the highlighted word is much less common than the word I'm trying to get. Further, it really doesn't like me simply typing "a." I'm sure some of this can be corrected by the user, but a few alterations would make Swype even more game changing than it already is.

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
Too bad they're only pursuing OEM distribution. There are two other threads on this concept you may find interesting.
Just remember that this is not an app that will be updated for us, the program is for OEM only and the leaked version we use now will never be updated. It is what it is.
……until someone hacks the official version for the rest of us :icon_eek:

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love it - and I use it exclusively now on the phone. Most the time it nails what I'm looking for. I was showing it to someone today and they couldnt believe how it worked.

Then I showed them the voice input on Hancent MMS and we laughed our heads off. If you ever need a laugh have google translate speech into text - it's always the funniest.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I remember learning SureType on my BB Pearl and how initially, it took me some time NOT to look at the keyboard after every word to ensure the ST was really typing what I asked it to... but after a while, I was faster than most on the BB.

I'm guessing the learning curve is similar with Swype, as I like to look to see if every word is showing up correctly... and 98% of the time, it is.... :)

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Showed Swype to my iDrone co-worker today & he sat there in awe. He had nothing to say other than he wished he could get off of the iDrone / AT&T but can't afford the early termination charge.

Sucks to be him.

LOL!!!

- Mega

greyghost04

Reaction score
The key to being good at Swype is to go to their site and watch the 6 videos. Everything will be better after that.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
The key to being good at Swype is to go to their site and watch the 6 videos. Everything will be better after that.

Absolutely agree. I normally take the position that "if I need to read a manual or watch a video to learn how to use something, I'm not interested in using it" but this is one case where making an exception really pays off. Spend 20 minutes or so watching the videos and it'll have a huge effect on your speed with swype.

I do wish though that they release an official version with some of the enhancements listed here (auto double space after a period, auto space after a comma, etc). Still, I love using it.

guttyla

Reaction score
Swype is much faster for me, except for certain quirks. However, you can always use it like the normal keyboard by doing one letter at a time if it is having trouble with something. i watched the tutorial and it was great...learned how to do caps, apostrophes, pinctuation, long hold for alternate symbol/number. Would love to know how to quickly do time, like 7:30. Anyone...

darreno1

Reaction score
I'm definitely quicker on swype and I agree with those who said knowing the keyboard is key. If you don't know where the keys are, it will be painful and probably won't make much sense. I'm hopeful there will be another leak with an updated version. It does need some work in the punctuation area.

crspang

Reaction score
I tried swype for a couple of days, it was cool and all but I just couldn't get one handed texting down.

Sodner

Reaction score
I just got Swype today and already love it!
To me it's way faster and I'm sure as time goes by I'll get even better. Stick it out a bit longer, and I think you'll end up loving it. Of course I'm not a physical keyboard user at all. Touch screen all the way. And oh ya Swype is just fun to use!

Droids

Reaction score
I have yet to take the swype tutorial but I'll have to do it this weekend, otherwise I'm removing it. I'm sure I'm missing something or using it wrong because it's torturous to use and way slower than the standard app. Sure it's just me or I don't understand how it works but I will give the tutorial a shot since so many others like it.

Reaction score
i know its terrible, but its great for texting while driving, cause u use one hand and you barely have to look at the screen, if you have just a small idea of where the letter is your looking for it will guess it write, i type whole sentences without looking at the screen once.