Swype is cool, but is it really faster?

SGTiger

Reaction score
I consider myself a fast typist, but I cannot begin to imagine being as fast as I am with Swype. No comparison really if you use fluid motions nonstop. Now if you're making a lot of mistakes that you're having to correct, I understand a little better.

karmajay

Reaction score
I'm the type of person that can't type well on the screen keyboard because my thumbs are always hitting other keys. I spend more time correcting my texting then typing. With Swype, I can actually use the screen keyboard with less mistakes.

I still use the physical keyboard more though.

sethjk

Reaction score
Love Swype

I love Swype!
I find myself typing much faster with it. Of course it could use some fixes (capitalization, spacing) but overall I think its great.
I use my index finger.

longshot

Reaction score
THANK YOU to Guchi for posting that link!! I just downloaded it and tried it and WOW! I love it! I was a police officer for over 16 years, very use to texting and driving for 12 hours a day! I couldnt text for crap one handed with my thumb (while driving) with this thing (my Droid). I was getting frustrated, coming from a Palm Treo 700wx that I loved. NOW I AM COMPLETE!! WOO HOO!!

bots

Reaction score
I'm probably about twice as fast typing with swype than I am with the default virtual keyboard. I must admit when I first got swype I was a lot slower than the default, but after some getting used to, and adding my slang words to the swype KB, I find it indispensable. It does have its quirks, but I'm sure they will be ironed out before the app is officially released. It's not really fair to judge an app by its beta release, but in its current beta state I still find swype better than the default KB.

yoopermjm

Reaction score
Well I was just getting ready to uninstall it when I saw the tips above about using your index finger. I know the keyboard but using my thumb I couldn't see the keys to the right of my big ham thumb. Now with the index finger, I might keep it for a while and see if I like it better. I use the physical keyboard pretty much exclusively for typing any quantity of text.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
Just remember that this is not an app that will be updated for us, the program is for OEM only and the leaked version we use now will never be updated. It is what it is.

mjs31

Reaction score
Swype is very nice, but as mentioned, has some setbacks with certain things. I could not for the life of me get it to type this D&I (all together). There is probably a way, but i spent a few minutes on it with it always spaceing or adding something else.

FoFa

Reaction score
I am always way faster with Swype. I find my finger gets ahead of my brain with swype (have to stop and think where the next letter is) where I drop whole words on a keyboard, even the 'puter keyboard because my brain is much faster.

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
I just used one of the posts above, typed it both using swype and with the physical keyboard...and was the same speed with both! That being said, I have a lot more fun with swype, so I'll be sticking with that.

don_813

Reaction score
swype is just so freaken kool. i also type faster with the standard. but when im with people i use the swype to show off ^_^

MdicnMan

Reaction score
yes, but not faster than talking

First, I want to say that I think Swype is a great app.

However, the reality is that TalkToMe allows me to 'type' several times faster. If you have a voice and speech patern that it recognizes well, Talk to me is the ticket.

I guess we will see how the native voive to text works at 2.1.

silvere2

Reaction score
Those who can type on a computer keyboard without looking at their fingers will no doubt find swype to be the fastest.