SWYPE is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

killabyte

umm wtf? swype isn't free... and a moderator POSTED in the thread too? oh i get it, it's ok to pirate it because it only costs a couple of dollars. now if it was a 60 dollar xbox game it would be a different story, right?

right?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
umm wtf? swype isn't free... and a moderator POSTED in the thread too? oh i get it, it's ok to pirate it because it only costs a couple of dollars. now if it was a 60 dollar xbox game it would be a different story, right?

right?
Uh swype is currently in private beta, it's not a paid app...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

laurieb

Reaction score
OK, so I downloaded this onto my pC and now what do I need to do?

Not sure how I get it to my phone to use it?

I need lots of help!

Do I need astro file manager or what?

Thanks,Laurieb

K

killabyte

right?

Oh, so because it's a beta it's free. I get it.

Thanks very much for contacting us. No, their activity is absolutely not legal. We’ve been aware of this sort of thing for a while, and have emailed countless moderators, but we’re a small company and so it’s hard to stay on top of it all. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Franklin Page
Swype - Text Input for Screens
[email protected]
www.swype.com

pyro6128

Reaction score
uh oh, moderators not following their own rules

Davew

Reaction score
Is it me or does the swipe action not work when using the number pad? :blink:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

right?

Thanks very much for contacting us. No, their activity is absolutely not legal. We’ve been aware of this sort of thing for a while, and have emailed countless moderators, but we’re a small company and so it’s hard to stay on top of it all. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Franklin Page
[email protected]
www.swype.com

All right, where can we get this and pay for it? FWIW, I signed up for the Beta testing, although the version I got wouldn't swipe on the Droid.

Last edited:
K

killabyte

Looks like it's still in beta and not for public use/sale until they are done with that.

R

Romple

You can't - yet. Their beta program is available to "a limited group" and it is not meant for public distribution. Therefore any leaks, and persons using such leaks, are against whatever legal agreement Swype, Inc. set forth that beta participants probably agreed to when they got in.

Coming from a gaming community perspective, it is somewhat surprising seeing beta leaks almost endorsed by a forum.

tabraha

Reaction score
I'm ready to see this bad boy on the market already! I have not used it but all I hear is positive.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it me or does the swipe action not work when using the number pad? :blink:

I don't bother trying to swipe with the numbers. It probably won't work as it pulls from its list of words to know what you are typing, but numbers are another matter.

OK, so I downloaded this onto my pC and now what do I need to do?

Not sure how I get it to my phone to use it?

I need lots of help!

Do I need astro file manager or what?

Thanks,Laurieb

1) Connect your phone to your PC and transfer it to your sd card (I recommend creating a folder on the sd card for this sort of thing).

2) Disconnect your phone from your PC.

3) Go into "Settings" and "Applications." Click the top box to allow installations from something other than the Market.

4) Using Astro (or another file manager) touch that file. On Astro it'll give you a choice; press open "Open App Manger" and then "Install."

5) Go into "Settings" and "Language & Keyboard" to enable Swype.

K

killabyte

You can't - yet. Their beta program is available to "a limited group" and it is not meant for public distribution. Therefore any leaks, and persons using such leaks, are against whatever legal agreement Swype, Inc. set forth that beta participants probably agreed to when they got in.

Coming from a gaming community perspective, it is somewhat surprising seeing beta leaks almost endorsed by a forum.

ditto. this is how it starts. next thing you know you got drm crap (ala ubisoft) to deal with on your cell phone and we can all thank situations like this for it. not even going to start the comparisons to how games used to run 40 bucks and now it's 60. can't wait to see 1 and 2 dollar apps go up to 8 and 10 dollars later on because of this very thing.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

right?

Franklin Page
[email protected]
www.swype.com
Never said it was legal nor right, just said it's not considered a "paid" app because Swype isn't actively selling it to consumers. I have the LEGAL copy which I signed up for when the private beta registration was open and did not spend a cent on it (free). They gave away free test versions for people to beta on the grounds that it's not to be shared or distributed (private beta) this is what makes it illegal (breach of contract/terms of use), not the whole paid vs free argument you are making.

K

killabyte

yea you're right. i'm sure they'll give the final product away, ya know, seeing as how it's not really useful nor popular. being as how people are so good natured, when everyone already has these perfectly working free versions they'll be sure to get the paid version.

regardless of that petty argument, the point of this is why haven't the mods deleted this thread or the other 2 that are floating around here that sh0ebox created. i could care less about a pissing match of who's right or wrong about whatever.

pyro6128

Reaction score
i could care less about a pissing match of who's right or wrong about whatever.

Just so you know, that statement means that you do care about a pissing match of who's right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.